This guy got about ... By George he did.

Roburt

KING GEORGE -- He started out in Virginia (grew up there), relocated to New York where he joined Don Covay's Good-timers before going solo, playing club dates & doing some recording ... was then tempted across to Sweden, where he again recorded ... AND .. while based up there, played live shows in Denmark, Holland and the UK ... moved on from doing soul numbers as music tastes changed and then faded from the scene in the 70's ...

Anyone know what became of him (George Clemons) ???

KingGeorge45x.jpg

KingGeorgeLPmont.jpg

KingGeorgeUK68mont3.jpg

KingGeorgeJimiHendrixPic.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

He made another album with Discovery (in Sweden) in 1983 which included some soul, jazz & some rock songs, so I guess he remained in the country, settling down there. Maybe, he's still happily living up in Scandanavia. His most sought after Swedish recording though remains his old cover of Don Gardner's NS dancer ...

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

On 22/11/2018 at 10:53, Bjorn Nilsson said:

He has a members/semi illegal blues club here in Gothenburg 10-15 years ago. He played with his band every saturday night. Very nice guy!

Not to be confused with King George on Audio Arts.

I like your wording here my friend "members/semi illegal"  🤩 😀  Many nights ended up here. Remember looking up at the stage once and my brother playing drums with the band! 😎

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The ep he did that was given away by collecting vouchers from ice cream tubs in Sweden (!) is really stupidly good - there were a series of these, front covers are all identical and not sure if you could choose which one you got when sending in the req'd # of coupons, bit like the old Robertson's jams we had, there's one other killer one in that series too, Souls by Les Fleurs which is insanely good psych of all genres, imagine that must have blown any little flaxen-haired pre-teen's head when that showed up in the mail.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!