Timmie Williams - Who was/ Is he

Blackpoolsoul

Well, it certainly is an Embee Production, and song published by Vicki Music (Harry Balk and his partner, Irv Micahnik).  But. that doesn't guarantee that it was a Detroit recording.  Balk & Micahnik often took their Detroit artists to New York to record them.  They even operated an office in New York during 1959-64.  Bill Ramal operated out of New York.  I can't recall him having come to Detroit to record.  Even those sessions he ran for Robert West, and Gwen Gordy and Billy Davis were all done in New York.  As far as the recording sound, the room acoustics and sound of the session players' styles don't remind me of ANY Detroit cut.  It sounds more like the regular New York Bill Ramal recordings.  Even Richard Tee's crew he used for Jobete N.Y. and Robert Bateman's New York productions of Detroit-style songs sounded a lot more like Detroit recordings than this.

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

16 hours ago, RobbK said:

Well, it certainly is an Embee Production, and song published by Vicki Music (Harry Balk and his partner Mikhanic).  But. that doesn't guarantee that it was a Detroit recording.  Balk & Mikhanic often took their Detroit artists to New York to record them.  They even operated an office in New York during 1959-64.  Bill Ramal operated out of New York.  I can't recall him having come to Detroit to record.  Even those sessions he ran for Robert West, and Gwen Gordy and Billy Davis were all done in New York.  As far as the recording sound, the room acoustics and sound of the session players' styles don't remind me of ANY Detroit cut.  It sounds more like the regular New York Bill Ramal recordings.  Even Richard Tee's crew he used for Jobete N.Y. and Robert Bateman's New York productions of Detroit-style songs sounded a lot more like Detroit recordings than this.

Thanks Robb, I thought might have been Detroit, as it is 1965 and so Timmie could perhaps be identified, but I stand corrected :)

Social source share

11 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Thanks Robb, I thought might have been Detroit, as it is 1965 and so Timmie could perhaps be identified, but I stand corrected :)

Well, I was just giving my opinion.  We have no proof it WASN'T recorded in Detroit.  Just because I've never seen the name "Timmie Williams" associated with any Detroit productions doesn't mean he couldn't be a Detroiter.  Balk and Micahnik also recorded some sessions in Detroit (Volumes' American Arts and Twirl productions, as well as other Twirl sessions).  And, just because I say the recording doesn't SOUND like Detroit, doesn't make it a certainty.  We need to hear whether it was recorded in Detroit or New York from an inside source, or someone who has seen its documentation.  All I can say is that if someone placed a gun to my head and said "Was it New York or Detroit?-if you're wrong I shoot!", I would guess New York.  But, if I wasn't forced, and could bet or not, I wouldn't risk the farm betting either way.  But, then I'm conservative when betting, as my guesses aren't ALWAYS right.  😉

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

55 minutes ago, RobbK said:

Well, I was just giving my opinion.  We have no proof it WASN'T recorded in Detroit.  Just because I've never seen the name "Timmie Williams" associated with any Detroit productions doesn't mean he couldn't be a Detroiter.  Balk and Micahnik also recorded some sessions in Detroit (Volumes' American Arts and Twirl productions, as well as other Twirl sessions).  And, just because I say the recording doesn't SOUND like Detroit, doesn't make it a certainty.  We need to hear whether it was recorded in Detroit or New York from an inside source, or someone who has seen its documentation.  All I can say is that if someone placed a gun to my head and said "Was it New York or Detroit?-if you're wrong I shoot!", I would guess New York.  But, if I wasn't forced, and could bet or not, I wouldn't risk the farm betting either way.  But, then I'm conservative when betting, as my guesses aren't ALWAYS right.  😉

As a young man I wiggled my ass to this tune and wonder now 40 years on why he wasn't documented, but that happens so much

I guess I am just on a mission to credit Timmie Williams with what he deserves and hope someone somewhere knows 

Social source share

1 hour ago, RobbK said:

It’s got none of the hallmarks you associate with Detroit records ie the Impact Volumes 45’s, I always thought it was New York like the majority of Twirl / Embee product?

Social source share

As Andy said, he's the same guy as T J Williams.

Timothy Williams / Timmie / T.J. all one guy ... here's his BMI song writers page ... 

I guess King George (Clemons) would know all about him (see separate thread bout King George -- By George)

TimothyWilliamsBMI.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

45.com has a note on their King George info saying that T W was from corona in Brooklyn/Queens NY

there is a 'current' group from Brooklyn  called 'the new two shades of soul' whom has an online presence , may be worth a message?

not really connected but say an interesting offtopic thing, the 'two shades of soul'  led to this 70s vietnam unit badge as apparently that was one of  the nickname of a regiment out there

two-shades-of-soul.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Louise said:

How about Timmy Willis Mr Soul Satisfaction on Sidra/Veep and I Finally Found A Woman and I'm A Man on Jubilee ?

Dave

Timmy Willis was DEFINITELY a Detroiter.  I know lifelong Detroiters, who knew him well, and he was living in Detroit all along.   Timothy (Timmie/T.J. Williams) was a New Yorker. 

Social source share

• 3 years later...
On 23/11/2018 at 16:11, Roburt said:

As Andy said, he's the same guy as T J Williams.

Timothy Williams / Timmie / T.J. all one guy ... here's his BMI song writers page ... 

I guess King George (Clemons) would know all about him (see separate thread bout King George -- By George)

TimothyWilliamsBMI.jpg

Just found out 

The management/production team of Phil and Marion Colbert (a.k.a. Phi-mar Productions).

Phil was Capitol Records but seemingly disappeared

Social source share

• 11 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!