Dave Box RIP

Julianb

Guest Howard Taylor

RIP my friend.50+years.Started off meeting at the Crystal Bowl--1967.Then ran Normy Baths together with Lesley and Val.

Many great memories.A very sad day.Howard Taylor & Lesley.

Social source share

I have just got in from visiting Val & she has asked me to thank everyone for their kind words & to pass on the funeral details.

Thursday 13th December at 3pm Pontefract Crematorium, Wakefield Road, Pontefract,    WF8 4HA.

Family flowers only please.  There will be a collection at the Crematorium for Motor Neuron Disease. 

This will be followed by a celebration of Dave’s life at Farmer Copleys, Ravensknowle Farm, Pontefract Road, WF7 5AF.

Farmer Copleys is half a mile from the Crematorium. Turn right out of the Crematorium & head down the road which is the A645.  Val did try to get the Wilton but with it being Christmas it was fully booked.  

All are very welcome. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

3 hours ago, roger banks said:

Such sad news that we have lost another stalwart of the Soul Scene.

Mr Frobisher, Mr Wilton & Mr Chicago all rolled into one.

Dave even got my sense of humour (well sometimes) and I've attached a photo and review of the Soul Night at the Frobisher on 26th December 2004 with me & Derek Pearson DJ'ing & messing around behind the decks, Dave spent most of our spot shaking his head!!!!

61141322_Frobisher26120420181123_10500221.thumb.jpg.d3bdb04a278293a99ca0f653f5b0f8f7.jpg

1794502513_Frobisher261204Review20181123_10505991.thumb.jpg.e45afb5f80055cc4ba81b315b444ef25.jpg

Another fantastic night was the surprise arrival of Dave, Val & Mr Syl Johnson at Carisbrooke Hall in London & Dave asked Syl to sign the attached for me

2136070775_SylJohnsonCarisbrookeHallLondon20181123_10521956.thumb.jpg.4276953e638736dc8a3333d0a6d95451.jpg

Another great Soul Man gone but what he did for the scene & many a Chicago artist will live on.

So sorry we didn't manage to see Dave & Val recently.

Our love & thoughts to Val & family & close friends

R.I.P. Mr Soul x

Social source share

Dave a dear friend and such an unassuming humble person. Dave's knowledge of soul music was vast and inspirational and had acquired a vast collection of records over the years.      He was passionate about the music and truly put a lot into the soul scene, from the early days of the all-nighters at Normanton baths in his hometown,the Early bath in Castleford,  the Crystal bowl/tinned chicken also in Castleford,  the Wilton Ballroom in Whitwood and the Frobisher Suite. This was a very popular and successful venue which Dave & Val , Jacque & Fred Ward ran for 12 years 1995-2007. Dave was responsible for bringing live acts over to the uk from the States  such as Jackie Ross, Syl Johnson, Ann Sexton, Debbie Taylor and Richard Caiton. Dave & Val were regular visitors to the States and many of our hero artists were personal friends of theirs.                                        Our deepest sympathy go out to Val,family and close friends                     Dave you will always be in our hearts   R.I.P.                                                          Jacque & Fred Ward                                  

Edited by Mr Fred
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

In the words of Spyder Turner’s “I’m Gonna Miss You”, the reality is ‘We’re Gonna Miss You   Boxy’ !

Picking up on what Howard (Taylor) has written I also go back to knowing Dave and Val along with Howard and Lesley and Lesley’s sisters Elaine and Yvonne back into sixties. I go back to school days with Howard and that’s a long time ago! I spoke with Val this week and said that I vividly recall Dave and her coming into the Crystal Bowl in Castleforrd on a Saturday night about 9:00 with several LP’s under his arm handing them to Howard to play selected tracks that he had chosen. There are some events in life that you never forget! Great times, some very, very special people coupled with erasable memories that have lived with me and got me through life.

Back in the early seventies Dave helped me through my weekly crisis of keeping my car on the road. We shared many Saturday afternoons and late nights learning how to rebuild suspension joints, setting the carbs, sorting the ignition timing and chasing cable earthing problems. His knowledge of all things was vast including engineering and his love of music. Back then the combination of Dave and Howard’s music knowledge was lethal! There are many that have probably acquired more today however few go back the 50+ years to the foundation that they laid back in Castleford and Normanton.

To everyone paying tribute and sharing special memories at this incredibly sad time please do not forget Val now or in the future. She is quite a special person and having been together with Dave for 55 or so years is a sign of the special relationship that they have for each other that will, I know, live on for ever.

We all know and have sung the immortal words, ‘I can’t shed a tear, no I can’t shed a tear’ - this time it’s going to be different, ‘Boxy’ has regretfully had to leave us too early, the memories will remain and at the end that’s all that is left, just the special memories and ..... a few tears.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Howard Taylor

Hi Steve,Lesley and I talked to Val yesterday,she told us about your post on here.That is a wonderful tribute to Dave.So many of us from those days will have special memories.We are so sorry that we could not be there to help and support Dave and Val during Dave's terrible illness.Please give Val a hug from us Steve.We will be there in spirit and raising a glass to an amazing friend.Howard and Lesley.

Social source share

Terribly sad news that, one of the experts for sure. Some great conversations with Dave, he'd just drop facts into the chat effortlessly with great re call, last saw him at Pete Hollander's all nighter. Memories of his sets at the now sadly defunct Wilton ballroom, fantastic times..the best times. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

As you know Val we are both very saddened with the loss of Dave (Boxy) With him being so humble and modest he never got round to putting pen to paper of your time in Chicago and who you both didn't know, well you know what I'm saying.

Promoting can be a thankless task at times but you stuck with it and for those who took advantage of the live artists at the Wilton Ballroom, can I say on their behalf as well as mine and Nicolas, thank-you. You don't get many chances in life to see our hero's perform on stage and because of what you both did as is your belief to promote in giving us so much pleasure.

R.I.P. Dave, few people in life can be what you are and what your SOUL advises us to be.

Gilly and Nicola

• Up vote 1
Social source share

A Funeral fit for a King & by heck what Soul Royalty were in attendance.  I won’t mention any names as these guys are humble fellas who have been, & still are, a massive  influence on the scene & don’t blow their own trumpets. Superb gentlemen, very much like Boxy.  

I adored Dave & will never forget my Soul Dad. Someone so special can never be forgotten.

Val you did your David proud & I hope the many who attended gave you great comfort.  

Hope you & Kitchener are tucked up cosy tonight.

Sending all my love to you Val & I’ll see you soon. 

Ali xxx

Edited by Alison H
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!