How many events?

Ian Parker

With apologies to Bobby Goldsboro....

I started up a soul event but I told it to too many people

Now every promoter around has got a soul night in my town

I booked a really good DJ to attract a whole lot of people

Should have advertised it months before

‘Cause there’s no-one coming through the door

Too many people, I told too many people.

I saw a pair of Technics decks but I told it to too many people

Now those Technics decks have gone, and now I’m left with Ariston

Now every time I’m on eBay I’m outbid by too many people

I should have kept my big mouth zipped

I’m tired of always getting pipped

By too many people, I told too many people.

Well there are too many soul nights in this town

Not enough punters to go around

No matter what your DJs play

It always happens that way

Mmmm there’s too many soul nights in my town

Here we go again…..

Edited by Steve S 60
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Leicester boy said:

I agree with what you say chalky but I'm convinced the cream will rise to the top and others will wither on the vine. So many events is not great for the scene but surely better than having no choice. 

I’ve seen plenty of quality venues disappear at the expense of what I condider to be inferior events.  Neither do I see the point of a choice between two venues in one town, surely one packed atmospheric venue is better than two half full devoid of atmosphere?

I also find even if you have a choice you don’t have a choice because the music policy is invariably the same, pretty pointless IMO. 

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

No Lifeline, No Wilton, No Frobisher, No Horse & Jockey. Only Thorne & Empty Bottles. Never been as less choice to hear something different. Only now and again do you bump into the old crowd who had been into it from the early days, now a different breed have took over and it has nothing to do with the Northern scene I once knew.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

7 hours ago, Leicester boy said:

I got to be honest babyboy i don't see the problem.  I might not agree with the views of some on here,but they have a superb knowledge of the scene, so if they can't see an oddfellows all dayer and a st Ives weekender against a two bob event at a local church hall then what can you say.

We are lucky down here, we only have a small crowd obviously.

When Dean's crew come down we get a large event with plenty of folks coming down. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth doing, two weekenders a year in what is essentially the back of beyond is stellar for us lot and appreciated. Of course the move is to get a bigger venue in the midlands, which will most likely result in us not having the local events, which I understand but will be saddened by.

We have the Atlantic Soul collective which deserves a big mention, they (Caroline Dann) put on events locally that by necessity have to be small, they keep us going and are absolutely welcomed and appreciated. If anyone here holidays in Cornwall they are well worth looking out for!

My lass and I are very happy to attend small events in village halls and little theatres, we support all we can, as I said earlier we don't have the problems outlined in the original post.

Cheers matey, hopefully see you at St Ives next year! :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

44 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

We are lucky down here, we only have a small crowd obviously.

When Dean's crew come down we get a large event with plenty of folks coming down. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth doing, two weekenders a year in what is essentially the back of beyond is stellar for us lot and appreciated. Of course the move is to get a bigger venue in the midlands, which will most likely result in us not having the local events, which I understand but will be saddened by.

We have the Atlantic Soul collective which deserves a big mention, they (Caroline Dann) put on events locally that by necessity have to be small, they keep us going and are absolutely welcomed and appreciated. If anyone here holidays in Cornwall they are well worth looking out for!

My lass and I are very happy to attend small events in village halls and little theatres, we support all we can, as I said earlier we don't have the problems outlined in the original post.

Cheers matey, hopefully see you at St Ives next year! :hatsoff2:

Definitely see you. 25+ of us booked up.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!