Shoutin The Blues 15th Dec Xmas Bash

As a prelude to the Dec Xmas Bash, here's a review of the September S.T.B written by Celia Lemon.

read on.........

'ONE HOUR FROM DERBY'

Review of Shoutin' the Blues, Friday 22nd September 2006 @ The Lounge Bar, Hinckley, Leicestershire.

Our journey of mystery and adventure started late after the heavy rains of the afternoon gave way to allow the sun to embellish the last light of the day. Armed with a flier (good quality, well produced, with understated artwork which would grace the coffee tables of any discerning connoisseur flier collector) and an A-Z (for us poor unfortunates who are still resisting the pull of 21st century technology by rejecting all things SAD NAV and IMP 3 ish) to get from A-B. I still relish those few moments (just enough time to top up my wine glass) whilst waiting for the valves to warm up and deliver that delicious humming sound that envelops the senses into a tingling anticipation.

Out on the road we encountered mists and swirling fog which all helped add to the ambience of the night that was to follow. With the bright lights of Hinckley beckoning the Lounge Bar was our beacon.

On arrival, we were warmly welcomed by our hosts for the night Callum, Gibbo and Soggy with guest Disc Jockeys, Kev C (NMD fame) and Mike Warburton. (Been spotted at the Hideaway a couple of times!!!)

All credit to the guys for finding the venue and running a free entry night.

The Lounge bar was everything you could ask for in venue and more. A comfortable seating area gave us ladies a welcomed respite and an opportunity to catch up on the gossip. Additional seating around the bar area gave way to tables and (not so steady) chairs before the dance floor opened out before you. A well-maintained wooden floor that was refreshingly free of talc at the edges. What is it with that then? Any serious dancer I know would not be found gyrating on the perimeter they would be out there centre stage. Here you could safely navigate through to the toilets (or should I say powder room) without risking life and limb (or in my case hip).

Inside were lots of familiar, friendly faces. What to wear? Well that was easy 'Playing the finest 60's soul & scorching RnB for all your dance needs! Stylish and chic with no attitude and no dress codes - but there was some serious sharp dressing going on, with a mod contingent extremely well suited and booted. A quick straw poll revealed that the 50 - 60 people in, on what was only the second night, had travelled from Manchester, Yorkshire, Gloucester and all points across the Midlands - and even from Spain! The venue puts on a variety of themed music nights and the two young resident Techno DJ's came in, probably out of curiosity, and stayed for the entire night enjoying the sounds.

The music policy gave each DJ a 30-40 minute spot (a reason why the Manchester pub is so popular?) and this was by no means disappointing, Callum, Gibbo and Soggy gave us an induction of freak beat and ska and soul and latin and mod and 60's pop and tamla and RnB and popcorn and RnR and and and and...........more.

Mike played a set, which carries his indomitable trademark of quality vinyl, and stylish choice born out of a love affair with music, one can almost smell the camphor emitting from the celluloid as the melodies rained down from the heavens - literally! The DJ booth being reminiscent of 'Up the Junction' in Crewe and the 'Motown Caf' in New York positioned up in the Gods. Great sets, always classy sounds and the odd old quirky favourite - Millies' original JA recording of "My Boy Lollipop" - forget the squeaky-clean chart version.

Kev C produced an excellent adaptation of a No More Doggin' set with the addition of some superb eclectic and raw sounds. Always well paced and leading us into new musical avenues."

Stand out tracks for the night reflected both the well loved standards, such as The Four Tops 'Something about You' to the current, in demand, much rarer Anna Belle Caesar's "Little Annie", via a smattering of ska and jazz tunes mixed in with the R&B. No play list anoraks here, so won't even try to remember them all, but dance floor reaction to Some Other Guy (Richie Barratt), Humdrum Blues (Oscar Brown Jr.) and I'm Shakin' (Little Willie John) showed that this crowd liked their R&B earthy and authentic and brought out some very stylish movers.

The venue ran from 8pm till 2am and as late arrivals we were disappointed to find that 2am loomed far too soon. How about "Cry To Me" (Solomon Burke) and 'Ol Man River' (Johnny Nash) to end the night? - Great choice! This is a venue that will 'take off' and not disappoint, at the moment it's small, intimate and a well-kept secret??? And not bound by 'ticket only' I shall definitely be coming back for another celestial fix in December. This event is well worth checking out!!!!

Whilst all you soul fans are rushing to the latest reunions I shall sit back and await the Hinckley revival in the next decade.

Criticism none, suggestions... I wonder if the flat screen T.V will play DVD...some excellent old footage of Ready, Steady, Go etc would be absolutely fabulous darlings.

Celia Lemon.

Sept 2006.

SEE YA ALL THERE TOMORROW - FRIDAY 15TH DEC :thumbsup:

Edited by RnB Rookie
  • Replies 4
  • Views 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Nice one Kev, will have to try and get to this if not one of the ones in the new year, played alongside Callum and Soggy in london, two great guys with great taste in music :thumbsup:

Had a great time last night. Plenty of new faces in. Great to finally meet Mik Parry and Paul Flynn.

Heard loads of sounds I've not heard before, which, for me is what its all about. Callum, Ryan and Soggy all played their usaul high standard of great uptempo northern and top quality storming RnB choons.

Last night was actually the first time I've had the pleasure of hearing Mik DJ. I'd heards lots of positive comments about the sounds Mik plays and have to say that his two sets last night just blew me away. VERY impressed indeed Mr Parry :thumbsup:

Hopefully some of the guys will be along later to list a few choons that they played last night (I'll do the same a bit later today when I have chance).

Also uploaded some pics from the night too, a slideshow can be viwed here:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...w&album=832

LOOK OUT FOR INFO ON THE NEXT SHOUTIN' THE BLUES IN MARCH 2007

Had a great time last night. Plenty of new faces in. Great to finally meet Mik Parry and Paul Flynn.

Heard loads of sounds I've not heard before, which, for me is what its all about. Callum, Ryan and Soggy all played their usaul high standard of great uptempo northern and top quality storming RnB choons.

Last night was actually the first time I've had the pleasure of hearing Mik DJ. I'd heards lots of positive comments about the sounds Mik plays and have to say that his two sets last night just blew me away. VERY impressed indeed Mr Parry thumbsup.gif

Hopefully some of the guys will be along later to list a few choons that they played last night (I'll do the same a bit later today when I have chance).

Also uploaded some pics from the night too, a slideshow can be viwed here:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...w&album=832

LOOK OUT FOR INFO ON THE NEXT SHOUTIN' THE BLUES IN MARCH 2007

Hi kev merged onto this topic thought might be worthwhile to have them both together :thumbsup:

Give this a little bump too a good review, from a non-member.

Kev if you want to ask her permission would like to submit her reveiw to the news/articals section also, all ways on the look out for indepth reviews to be put in there too :sleep3: