1967 -- It Was A Very Good Year

Roburt

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

1967 was one of my favourite years in Soul music, half the charts at the time in the uk at the time was soul orientated, There were soul clubs in every town in the North west , there was allnighters on every weekend no more than 20 miles from where you lived. Is was a real live underground soul scene in 1967 probably peaking from 63, 64, 65, 66, I was 16 at the time, it was a majic time for Soul !You would have had to be there to feel it, I wouldn't have missed it for nothing what a time for Soul

ML

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:47, Hooker1951 said:

1967 was one of my favourite years in Soul music, half the charts at the time in the uk at the time was soul orientated, There were soul clubs in every town in the North west , there was allnighters on every weekend no more than 20 miles from where you lived. Is was a real live underground soul scene in 1967 probably peaking from 63, 64, 65, 66, I was 16 at the time, it was a majic time for Soul !You would have had to be there to feel it, I wouldn't have missed it for nothing what a time for Soul

ML

Spot on (same age.)!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

More US singers / groups who toured the UK extensively in 1967 .... all brought over by Roy Tempest (just ahead of him starting on his 'fake group' phase).

Roy Tempest used to sign up UK based groups who's job was to open the show for the US acts and then back the star of the show up for their performance. One group that took on this job for him in early 67 was Bobby Hanna & the Canadians. Bobby Hanna (originally from Scotland, brought up in Canada, moved to London & then Australia) landed a contract with Decca shortly after this & ended up cutting a couple of tracks that were played on the NS scene in the 70's.

RoyTempest67Postas.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

13 hours ago, Roburt said:

More US singers / groups who toured the UK extensively in 1967 .... all brought over by Roy Tempest (just ahead of him starting on his 'fake group' phase).

Roy Tempest used to sign up UK based groups who's job was to open the show for the US acts and then back the star of the show up for their performance. One group that took on this job for him in early 67 was Bobby Hanna & the Canadians. Bobby Hanna (originally from Scotland, brought up in Canada, moved to London & then Australia) landed a contract with Decca shortly after this & ended up cutting a couple of tracks that were played on the NS scene in the 70's.

RoyTempest67Postas.jpg

Hi Roburt

Interesting about the Canadians backing American artists around this time, I went to see Chuck Berry live at the Cavern circa February or early March 1967 and his backing band were the Canadians, I was always curious about who they were at the time

ML

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!