Spalding. Small Venue

Here's a real long shot. Does anyone remember The Horseshoe Bar in Spalding?. It was a tiny little place. I think it was behind a boozer called The Pied Calf or Bull in the town centre. They used to play a bit of Northern Soul and Motown in there sometimes and it used to be a bit of a hangout for the local scooter boys. To the best of my knowledge we're talking late 7ts and early 8ts. It just came into my mind when I was thinking about the great Peterbrough all-nighter boo boo, when they put one nighter on at the Wirrina downstairs, the same time and night as they had another one on in the city, it may actually have been in the upstairs room in the Wirrina, as we was downstairs (I'm not sure). Me and a guy called Rick had been in the Horseshoe in Spalding before driving up to Peterborough.

Edited by MotownSoulMan
forgot to put the town name in the topic heading. what a plank 😠
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

18 hours ago, MotownSoulMan said:

Here's a real long shot. Does anyone remember The Horseshoe Bar in Spalding?. It was a tiny little place. I think it was behind a boozer called The Pied Calf or Bull in the town centre. They used to play a bit of Northern Soul and Motown in there sometimes and it used to be a bit of a hangout for the local scooter boys. To the best of my knowledge we're talking late 7ts and early 8ts. It just came into my mind when I was thinking about the great Peterbrough all-nighter boo boo, when they put one nighter on at the Wirrina downstairs, the same time and night as they had another one on in the city, it may actually have been in the upstairs room in the Wirrina, as we was downstairs (I'm not sure). Me and a guy called Rick had been in the Horseshoe in Spalding before driving up to Peterborough.

I remember going in there in the very early 8o's. It was sort of behind the Pied Calf and about 4 foot square. My  sister used to go there in the mid 70's,   sometimes and they played Northern Soul and Motown, maybe before the bus left for St. Ives?

I seem to remember the Wirrina and Fleet having niters on the same night. Early on I think there were both the Pheonix Club, Carousel Club, Wirrina stadium (roller skating), someone on here I'm sure can clarify. The Cresset to??

Edited by simon t
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Andy Rix said:

I remember the Horseshoe Bar very well. I started going there in 74 or 75 ... I was around 13

Sunday night was full on Northern and the resident DJ was Eggy Molen but Poke was there most Sunday's which, as you can imagine, meant we heard lots of good stuff

Andy

That's right Andy, it was on the Sunday nights, Mel would have been at Cleethorpes etc on the Saturdays. I think she went with a lass called Spike.

Social source share

Andy Rix Eggy Molen was a stout guy with a beard wasn't he?. Although I lived in Peterborough when I was home on leave from the forces, I seem to remember the Eggy Molen Roadshow (maybe) playing all round the Spalding area around that time. I also think that during the latter days of the Horseshoe, some geezer called "Corcoran" (or something like that) used to dj there sometimes too. I think I remember you. Your name certainly rings a bell. I think the reason for that is that you were one of the better dancers in that area. I can remember a few of the scooter boys from the late 70s and early 80s too. I think one was Dave Coates or something like that, and some guy they used to call Blocker. There was also two brothers I think, called Porter?. I also seem to remember some guy called Jezz and two sets of sisters, one pair called Jane and Julie, and another called Claire and Julie. 

Social source share

simon t That's right mate. I'm told the other brother was called David. If that Jez Wensor is a wannabe jock, then it'll be the one. The Ken I mentioned as running EASC was Ken Cox. Good old days was them, though I had many a run in with several of the bully boys from Spalding ☺

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Added extra info
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!