BabyBoyAndMyLass

A.I. and that...

Having just seen this, a machine that has been trialled in Milton Keynes recently that delivers shopping to your door from a retail outlet, apparently it crosses roads and all that sort of thing, I wondered about the current push for technologies like driverless cars and things that I suppose can be termed 'Robots'.

Do we have any Milton Keynes members that might've seen these around?

What do we think about driverless cars?

What about A.I.?

Those 'Cortana' is it? Things that will play your playlist if you shout it to from your armchair, or Google Lisa Riley for you, change the channel on your telly or dim the lights, turn the heating up.

I need help with these ideas, I'm a plebeian person, apart from the obvious fact that certain types of these can render the human element in a workplace redundant, what is the attraction? I know we have folks here who like a side of tech with their vintage original vinyl. I can't even bring myself to install satisfactory lighting in my work truck, preferring to struggle on with the 1950s ten candlepower OEM.

Yours, struggling to remain sane Yokul in the back of beyond.

6617922-6426791-image-a-60_1543160373483.jpg

Dont like the current trend for tech , just because we can do something doesnt mean we should .                                           Heared a tale about a fully wired connected house the guys ex girlfreind  phoned the house via the answering machine instructed Alexa to turn on the heating , the oven turn off the alarm and unlock the doors . Dont know how feasible that is but the potential for abuse exists .                                                  I am no Luddite but there has to be ballance .

Fear not jobs-wise though , it'll still take three new graduates in Media Studies and Culinary Arts to put your items in the robot and two or three hundred more to keep the bloody thing's batteries charged up ready for action.

Can't wait for our nearest star to reawaken from it's period of low activity and start firing some decent sized CME's in our direction again to see how folk will cope when the grid goes down for a while , or for someone to set off a nice EMP device and send some tumbling helplessly back to a time before 'smartphones' ruled their owners every waking moment.

11 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Fear not jobs-wise though , it'll still take three new graduates in Media Studies and Culinary Arts to put your items in the robot and two or three hundred more to keep the bloody thing's batteries charged up ready for action.

Can't wait for our nearest star to reawaken from it's period of low activity and start firing some decent sized CME's in our direction again to see how folk will cope when the grid goes down for a while , or for someone to set off a nice EMP device and send some tumbling helplessly back to a time before 'smartphones' ruled their owners every waking moment.

Understood the first paragraph but the second went a bit Jodie Whittaker for me, 😯

I've got one of those new fangled smart TV things that I talk to ( more sense than talking to Lou  ) tell it to change channel,  alter volume,  search the internet etc etc. Its also Bluetooth and synced with my phone so my phone is also a remote control . Seems strange talking to a remote control when I could just press the buttons on it. 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.