Temptations & Four Tops

Stevegods

Ok .. so how many members of an original group do you need to still call it by the same name ... 1 ? 

Well it was never going to be what it was 10 years ago let alone 40 years ago, but with now only 2 original members out of a line up of 9 ( one in each group ) was it ever going to rock the house. And didn’t help the “ Duke “ Fakir sang most of the set in a chair as he’s not long recovered from a broken hip. 

I made the only gig that didn’t include Tavares .. Southend and they still have 3 original members I think. 

It was maybe a sign of the times to see how many wheelchair users where being ushered in before the gig started and even a couple of punters with their portable dialysis machines ( fair play to them ). So I have to say my white hair didn’t look out of place. 

Was the music up to scratch, shame to say not really and defiantly didn’t match the £50 a seat price tag but then it’s really a very good tribute band. Backing band where great , helped by Earl Van Dykes son .. Bigg T . Great version of Silent Night  to end with by the Temps . 

Shows that a lot of us are all nearing the end of our careers , and that you need your imagination to run away with you sometimes or was it my ball of confusion. 

E7FE0C0A-44C3-41C6-BDF3-3AD4FCFF06B7.jpeg

A647B5E5-38BC-4D39-9C3A-0253C59D2193.jpeg

Social source share

I enjoyed last night, as you said they're more tribute bands than original bands these days.  Saying that the Temps have always had lineup changes.  One thing that frustrated me last night was the needless singing of cover versions of other peoples songs - They all did it in some way of form.  All three groups have a back catalogue large enough not to need to do it.

Why do people spend all the concert filming it on their phones?  Surely they don't get full appreciation of the concert as they're focussing of the filming.

Edited by John Reed
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Agree with both the comments above and maybe i was being a bit too harsh on what I saw and heard.

Musicaliy the harmonies of the Temps where great and it’s not possible to ever replace the voice of Mr Stubbs from the Tops , and yes line up have always changed.

I think , looking back in hindsight , it was more about my own faragility with coping with age ... I just hope I can look half as good as the Duke does at nearly 80 . 

Hat - coat - Zimmer frame 

Social source share

1 hour ago, speedlimit said:

Let's not forget the remaining  original members of these two super groups fought long hard legal battles with berry gordy to keep the group names . And it's only relatively recently that the four tops line up as changed . 

Also, many of the battles over naming came from other quarters than B.G./Motown. Otis Williams owns the Temptations name. So in the past for instance, when Dennis Edwards was putting on a concert he called it The Tempatations Revue featuring Dennis Edwards ( a name sanctioned by a 1998 court order).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!