Charade Rotherham

Magpie69

The wife always reminisces about her nights at the Charade club which was at Stag roundabout. This was in its early days in the late sixties/early seventies when Mick Bradford managed it and Dave Grownds was a DJ. She often wonders what happened to all the other regulars. Having got back into the northern scene in the last couple of years, she’s surprised she hasn’t bumped into her contemporaries. Any old Charaders out there?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Used to be a Cleggy bus pick up in rovrum. Sure it was at Charades. Steve DJ, Leslie, Carlo, Stan, etc. Big lad who Married Wendy from Conisbrough, and a youth with black curly hair who could spin for England.

Assembly rooms bang on around 76. Derek Sheldon...Big record 'our sandi' and Jeanette white ' music'.

Happy days..

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The lad who could spin for England used to drive a mini that we went to Wigan in and his sister ran the cafe in the old outdoor market. Spent many happy hours in that cafe on a Saturday and Sunday mornings after leaving Adam n Eve's. For the life of me I can't remember his name tho and its bugging the life out of me but boy could he spin. Carlo Naylor is a mate from my School days.  I have no idea who the Big lad is off the top of my head.

Had some great times with those lads.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 13/02/2019 at 19:57, Martyn Hall said:

Remember it well.....Lived in Barnsley and went to Rotherham Tech with two lads from Kimberworth. They introduced me to the Charade AND to the record shop at top end of market - Sound of Music - went their most lunchtimes to get the latest import!! Happy and carefree days.

Do you remember the names of the Kimberworth lads Martyn?

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Sean Hampsey said:

Do you remember the names of the Kimberworth lads Martyn?

Well the rovrum names that spring to mind are Matchie,  Johnny Keegan and Glyn. There would have been some Barnsley lads about too, Steve Midgley, Kev Holt,  and obviously  Bub. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Well the rovrum names that spring to mind are Matchie,  Johnny Keegan and Glyn. There would have been some Barnsley lads about too, Steve Midgley, Kev Holt,  and obviously  Bub. 

Yep, John Keenan and Glynn Olivant mate. Still see them around to this day.

Matchie was also a regular Charade goer as he only lived down the road.

Social source share

54 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Bob Holyman 'n Keith Brisland, Tommy Litherland from Barnsley......

Keith used to drive-you may recall Kegs the episode with Alan Day/hire car/Torquay!!😮

cheers Kegs

Glyn

Social source share

54 minutes ago, Sean Hampsey said:

Yep, John Keenan and Glynn Olivant mate. Still see them around to this day.

Matchie was also a regular Charade goer as he only lived down the road.

one "n" & two l's Sean !!!

especially if tha signin' me a cheque !!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, 25miles said:

you may recall Kegs the episode with Alan Day/hire car/Torquay!!😮

Most certainly do mate, he said he was going to Tamworth to get some gear, Mr Day pulled quite a few strokes in his time.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 15:44, Sean Hampsey said:

By mid 1978 I upped sticks and went to do a season in Skegness, ending up living in Lincoln for a while, but by Winter of ’78 I was headhunted by Mecca and became resident at Tiffanys right in the middle of the Disco boom, and Rotherham Windmill where I was able to help keep the Rotherham Soul Scene going, pre Clifton Hall and all that followed.

Nice to hear the Windmill mentioned. I went there a few times in my youth. We caught the train north to Rotherham one day and walked towards the venue. There was 3 of us and we were around 15 years old or so, as we wandered towards the venue a heavy rocker came running at us waving a piece of 4x2 shouting that we were part of a certain gang and we'd beat up his mate the week before. So it was fight or flight.....we chose flight knowing the old rocker wouldn't catch us. Friendly place Rotherham...😀

Andy Mac

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 12/03/2019 at 12:26, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Nice to hear the Windmill mentioned. I went there a few times in my youth. We caught the train north to Rotherham one day and walked towards the venue. There was 3 of us and we were around 15 years old or so, as we wandered towards the venue a heavy rocker came running at us waving a piece of 4x2 shouting that we were part of a certain gang and we'd beat up his mate the week before. So it was fight or flight.....we chose flight knowing the old rocker wouldn't catch us. Friendly place Rotherham...😀

Andy Mac

Interesting that Andy, Masboro area was certainly more Rocker than Mod, so choosing flight was definitely the best option.

You'd have been made a lot more welcome in Mod Town Kimberworth, just up the road.

Sean

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

The ones the wife remembers were the McDonaghs, especially Bunny, and Chris McClair, who were St Bernard's boys. Incidentally, the wife's name then was Kath Dudley, later Kath Jackson and she went to Kimberworth school and later Thomas Rotherham.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Magpie69 said:

The ones the wife remembers were the McDonaghs, especially Bunny, and Chris McClair, who were St Bernard's boys. Incidentally, the wife's name then was Kath Dudley, later Kath Jackson and she went to Kimberworth school and later Thomas Rotherham.

BUNNY'S OLDER BROTHER [SEAMUS] WAS GOALKEEPER FOR THE MILLERS, LATER TRANSFERRED TO EVERTON

Social source share

I was a regular there from the back end of 1970 up to around probably early 1975, although I did go now and again later than that. I know a lot of the names mentioned already and still see quite a few from time to time.

I remember Dave Growns before he was the DJ there, he was bouncing on the door for a while before that.

Big Ray Slater was also a bouncer for some years as was little John (Rose?)

I spent many a night there, and can still remember a time when you had to get there early and queue to get in when it opened - not forgetting it closed at midnight!

Charade membership.jpg

Charade 29th Oct 1973.JPG

1977-1.jpg

1977-4.jpg

1977-5.jpg

1977-6.jpg

Social source share

13 hours ago, John Benson said:

I was a regular there from the back end of 1970 up to around probably early 1975, although I did go now and again later than that. I know a lot of the names mentioned already and still see quite a few from time to time.

I remember Dave Growns before he was the DJ there, he was bouncing on the door for a while before that.

Big Ray Slater was also a bouncer for some years as was little John (Rose?)

I spent many a night there, and can still remember a time when you had to get there early and queue to get in when it opened - not forgetting it closed at midnight!

Charade membership.jpg

Charade 29th Oct 1973.JPG

1977-1.jpg

1977-4.jpg

1977-5.jpg

1977-6.jpg

GREAT PHOTO'S JB.............

PLENTY OF FAMILIAR FACES, BIG GRAHAM

Social source share

On 14/04/2019 at 11:20, Magpie69 said:

Ray Slater was a big pal of Kath's first husband, Roger Jackson. Lived on East Bawtry Road. Apparently a lovely guy.

Before he got working there, Ray and a few others used to go up Sheffield on a Saturday night and me and some mates used to meet up with him.

I bet I haven't seen or heard of him since the late 70's.

Social source share

On 14/04/2019 at 11:20, Magpie69 said:

Ray Slater was a big pal of Kath's first husband, Roger Jackson. Lived on East Bawtry Road. Apparently a lovely guy.

First picture is my wife Karen (Linney) at the top right with Dale (Cardwell) Tony Foulds wife  next to her

Edited by rotherham soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, John Benson said:

Yes Ed, it's Gordon - There's quite a few others on the photos that are no longer with us, Bub of course , Terry Lambert in the middle two with the pinky red jumper & Neil Griffiths in the last one with the jacket and tie, just right of centre.

Scary isn't it!

Indeed.

Such characters....seems like yesterday we were all at Scarborough for Easter!

Scrumpy en al..

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!