Sam & Kitty - John Manship - The true story

Vadnochka

Always good to read John's post's about the chronology of some of our greatest sounds. This particular 45 arrived in Bill Swift's box after many weeks of trying to persuade me to part with my copy at the Torch. Alongside Hector 'from Selecta', Swifty they kept nagging me to sell my copy that I had acquired from Graham Warr  at the Cats after he had returned from The US in mid 72 and had it on a hand written list for a fiver with many other great sounds. Little did Graham know Levine was playing it at the Mecca the previous week with a massive positive reaction and my 'is it any good' inquiry (obviously a blind as I'd been in the Highland Room the previous week)got nothing other than Yeah could go massive. The fiver changed hands and Sam & Kitty duly powered out of the Fantasia speakers the following day and was pretty much a Mecca / Fantasia exclusive for some time ( Months not weeks ) Don't believe those stories about multi copies - IF so why did Graham and I almost come to blows when he marched across the floor at the Torch a couple of weeks later accusing me of robbing him because I knew it was already a massive sound. Tough shit hey. I continued to play the sound almost through to the autumn / winter, got fed up with it, treated it as 'played out' and having relieved Hector and Swifty of £22 - every penny the pair had on them + A lovely SS7 issue of the Valentines - Breakaway - valued as so many top sounds at a fiver. So £27 deal - at the time the most expensive deal. Hector & Swifty duly took the Sam & Kitty back to Nottingham and thus to be played in the Selectadisc cellar.

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!