Entertainers on HMC

Ficklefingers

I'm looking for info on the Entertainers 45 release of 'I'm In Love With You / Hot On A Thang' (HMC Records UR3991)

Looking on Discogs it shows two different label designs, with both using the same catalogue number..

Do any of you fine knowledgeable folk know if one is a later repress, or maybe pressed at a different plant?

Thank you in advance for your valued input

Fingers

Social source share

I think they were pressed around the same time.  I remember John Manship talking about the rare scroll design and then I've also heard other dealers talking about the rare straight line design.  So it could be just different plants, but it does look like the later releases from 1984 have the non scroll design.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

1 hour ago, John Reed said:

I think they were pressed around the same time.  I remember John Manship talking about the rare scroll design and then I've also heard other dealers talking about the rare straight line design.  So it could be just different plants, but it does look like the later releases from 1984 have the non scroll design.

What do you mean "scroll" design. Larger HMC script or smaller HMC in a shape that looks a bit like the top of a juke box.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

13 hours ago, John Reed said:

The straight one I referred to was called the jukebox design.  I'm sure the other layout was referred to by John Manship as the scroll design.

Cheers, I've had loads of these, all were scroll design, never seen a juke box style copy, hope that helps the OP.

Social source share

2 hours ago, FickleFingers said:

Thanks for posting Keith, but thats confused me even more now as the pics on discogs show that particular label design to be a different colour entirely!!

That's just how the scan on Discogs has come out - both releases have light blue labels

Social source share

3 hours ago, garethx said:

This is the original. The other label design is a definite repress. 

Mmh, I can't be definite but unless this HMC was the first release (1983-4) for the label, the 'Juke Box' design is the adopted design for all the other releases of the label 7" and LP's alike. Couldn't find a coherent discography and their catalogue numbering system is rather of the confusing kind.

And this is supposed to be from 1978 1810049491_Capturedcran2018-12-0119_11_05.png.cdfd3410de908640896f510f3bf85f97.png...

Now couldn't the "scroll" design be a much later re-issue done to supply a new demand if ever ? NC labels use to do that a lot. Some even almost continuously. The "scroll" design used the same stampers for the label credentials. Only the logo changes. Likely done at the same pressing plant.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!