Info needed: Women on the Northern Scene

Joxer66

Hi - am looking for information on Female involvement in the evolution of the Northern scene. There are lots of anecdotal accounts of females as punters but not so sure that there is a record of women as movers and shakers, so to speak. Who was the first Female Soul deejay to gain widespread recognition. Were there women deejaying at local soul nights. Were women promoting or otherwise organising things behind the scenes. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, chalky said:

Not sure if she does any djing these days @ady croasdell might know better or one of the other London lot. 

Yes Val has all her records and often DJs, no regular venues as far as I know but plenty of guest spots. Lisa Hurley does a few and Donna Driscoll occasionally. Younger DJs include Sarah Jane and Lisa Wolverson, I'm sure there are loads more

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Can't remember her name, but back in the early days, 71-72, the Orbit in Rhyl, under the Palace hotel on the prom, was renowned for being a great little soul venue. The DJ was a larger than life blonde woman. I'm sure some of the older North Wales lads on here will remember her. 

Dave'n'Pete. Ditto to Judy. One or two other female "characters" back in the day, but exactly what, if any, lasting positive contribution to the scene they may have made is very much open to debate! 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Joey said:

Can't remember her name, but back in the early days, 71-72, the Orbit in Rhyl, under the Palace hotel on the prom, was renowned for being a great little soul venue. The DJ was a larger than life blonde woman. I'm sure some of the older North Wales lads on here will remember her. 

Dave'n'Pete. Ditto to Judy. One or two other female "characters" back in the day, but exactly what, if any, lasting contribution to the scene they may have made is open to debate! 

Could be Pat Swallow or something like that, there was a bit of tension between Llandudno and Rhyl (skinhead days) so we didn't go there.

Social source share

1 minute ago, wicked said:

Could be Pat Swallow or something like that, there was a bit of tension between Llandudno and Rhyl (skinhead days) so we didn't go there.

That name definitely rings a bell. 

Social source share

21 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

One of the Widnes girl's(  KM )used to move and shake me 💘💘💘 

What about Nancy , sorry can't remember her surname used to buy and sell plenty of tunes, think she may have DJ at Lowton Civic in the early days.

Steve 

Nancy Yahiro currently living in Darlington via LA and Italy. 

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 30/11/2018 at 15:19, Joxer66 said:

Hi - am looking for information on Female involvement in the evolution of the Northern scene. There are lots of anecdotal accounts of females as punters but not so sure that there is a record of women as movers and shakers, so to speak. Who was the first Female Soul deejay to gain widespread recognition. Were there women deejaying at local soul nights. Were women promoting or otherwise organising things behind the scenes. 

Hi

May I ask why you are asking ? Are you doing a University project or the like ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2018 at 06:30, jez jones said:

Hi

May I ask why you are asking ? Are you doing a University project or the like ?

HI Jez - not doing anything for Uni. The question came about from a conversation i had with a friend and it got me thinking that it might make a fine write up. 

thanks to the rest of you for tips and names... 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!