News: Men jailed for ‘fake’ vinyl records scam

Mike

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 19:26, Winsford Soul said:

Many years ago when I had one of the first Terry Callier. Ordinary Joe. Cadet demos I was offered through a third party £750 and a further percentage amount depending on sales to lend my record out. A small part of me was tempted not with the money but at the thought of lots more people would have the chance to get a copy of one of the greatest songs ever laid down on vinyl but i couldn't do it on principle.  

Steve 

good man. I cant stand djs that do that .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This one has always interested me (looks like the cat number is a D.O.B.)

KIngy.jpg

Kingy B.jpg

Things of beauty 🤢, I collect those 🤥 and find it hard to get a proper discography 👸🏽 of the Kingy records 🙈 and their rather complicated catalogue numbering system 👾... Boot or worthless reissues... as Johnny Moore sang; Just be for real !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 04/12/2018 at 10:39, Rocky said:

Hmmmm, illegal or not it's a bit hypocritical if you sell a legal 7" for hundreds profit and don't give a penny to the artist or label don't you think?!?

⚠️

KEEP CALM

AND ENJOY

FUNNY  ILLOGICAL

COMMENTS

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

As it happens I did the initial artwork for the birthday giveaway label as a favour to him. 

If i'm assuming right the 'others' you are referring to are the white labels - actually you're wrong - he got the blame for them but someone else did them (apart from the initial ones which he had official permission from Motown to do SOME in order 'to promote to DJs' ahead of the unissued CD comps) - I know exactly who but let's leave it there - don't forget without his running with the ball on the permission thing we would never have seen most of that stuff.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

As it happens I did the initial artwork for the birthday giveaway label as a favour to him. 

If i'm assuming right the 'others' you are referring to are the white labels - actually you're wrong - he got the blame for them but someone else did them (apart from the initial ones which he had official permission from Motown to do SOME in order 'to promote to DJs' ahead of the unissued CD comps) - I know exactly who but let's leave it there - don't forget without his running with the ball on the permission thing we would never have seen most of that stuff.

Dx

So just to confirm the ones with artwork are not bootlegs then like everyone said ? :)

Social source share

The initial production in small numbers supposedly had the nod from Harry Weingler at Motown to be put out to DJs as they were at least initially (they certainly willingly initially gave him full access to the digitised tape vaults) to pre-promote the planned releases of the CDs of unissued stuff - though of course he did 'run with the ball' somewhat - though ultimately MUCH to our benefit.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

27 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Ref-Kingy I did the initial one that he did as a giveaway for his birthday bash (and said he had rights for) - thereafter I had nothing to do with them.

Dx

Dave. That was the. Marvin Gaye 

it's killing me ( love starved heart) for his 40th bash at Bretby I'm assuming 

Steve 

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

someone paid £85 for one those last September according to Discogs, so this was licenced then?

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

12 hours ago, shufflin said:

someone paid £85 for one those last September according to Discogs, so this was licenced then?

It appears these were both made for a particular DJ to celebrate his birthdays, at the time and as yet we have no idea as to whether they were licensed, I am pretty sure with the knowledge on this site someone will know if they were or weren't

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Is it me or is this happening again ?

Well that's certainly interesting but all it literally means is that he founded a limited company a year after he was found guilty and that the company is still registered. They've not filed any accounts yet so it may well be dormant and it could be a legit company and he's going straight. 

Starting and running Limited Companies in this country is pretty lightly regulated and even if someone's banned from being a company director (which I don't believe he was?) there's nothing to stop them opening another one in the name of their spouse or brother or a friend as I've seen a few times. 

Certainly one to watch though!

Edited by Source
quote edited
Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Is it me or is this happening again ?

55 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Well that's certainly interesting but all it literally means is that he founded a limited company a year after he was found guilty and that the company is still registered. They've not filed any accounts yet so it may well be dormant and it could be a legit company and he's going straight. 

Certainly one to watch though!

am weary of these lazy ill-informed posts by you @Blackpoolsoul and the similar lazy follow-on posts that they bring to here

As you have been told many times now

you can not post names/addresses of people asking if they are involved in current criminal activities

With this latest one 

A quick 5 second google will show that there is a website run by that company/person

Then a quick look on that website will then show that it is selling current releases.

If you are not happy with what you see then take it up with the relevant authorities

Do not post accusations etc up on here with out facts as they will have to be removed as per our terms of use

Edited by Source
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!