Dusty Wilson Boot Discussion.

Blackpoolsoul

10 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

True, some were as much as fifteen quid though, depending on which one, Dusty Wilson 'Can't do without you' and Blind Willie Johnson 'Dark was the night cold was the ground' were both fifteen quid. The ebay blurb described them as being fully licenced reissues.

Is this the Dusty

Dusty.jpg

Social source share

6 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I couldn't possibly comment, for all I know that could be an original. It was that record, from memory I think the boots had Bronze coloured labels, but again I can't swear to nuffin' officer...

I think the real one is a bronze colour but perhaps someone else can confirm please

Dusty.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

37 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I think the real one is a bronze colour but perhaps someone else can confirm please

Dusty.jpg

BOTH this issue AND the one above look EXACTLY like both the original issues.  The bronze-coloured lower one cannot be faked, as the way the label sits on the raised centre portion of the record never looks how it does on the original on modern pressings due to differences in the vinyl and the height of the rise in the centre area, and the fullness of the arc of the rim of the raised area.  The black-labeled issue above could possibly be a replica boot.  If so, it is fantastically well made.  I can't see a flaw in it.  It looks exactly like my original, in every detail.  Usually, there is less sharpness in the print, or the lines, or some lightness in the background near the print, if it was made from a photo. I don't think original fonts that don't exist anymore can be reproduced to use as a newly printed font from typesetting.  That would be too impractical.  I would guess that photographing an original is probably the only way that facsimile labels are produced.  In any case, making new fonts from scratch, to try to reproduce the old font, would likely produce a font that could be different enough to recognise/deduce that it is NOT the font that was used on the original issue.

I would bet the farm that both of these are originals, and that the boots were the black issue, which is easier to attempt to reproduce, and, I believe, was the first press run.  I believe that both press runs occurred during the initial run of sales of that release, but were pressed at 2 different plants, probably because the first was too busy, and Detroit stores were out of their first batch, and requesting refills that Bronse couldn't deliver.

Social source share

13 minutes ago, RobbK said:

BOTH this issue AND the one above look EXACTLY like both the original issues.  The bronze-coloured lower one cannot be faked, as the way the label sits on the raised centre portion of the record never looks how it does on the original on modern pressings due to differences in the vinyl and the height of the rise in the centre area, and the fullness of the arc of the rim of the raised area.  The black-labeled issue above could possibly be a replica boot.  If so, it is fantastically well made.  I can't see a flaw in it.  It looks exactly like my original, in every detail.  Usually, there is less sharpness in the print, or the lines, or some lightness in the background near the print, if it was made from a photo. I don't think original fonts that don't exist anymore can be reproduced to use as a newly printed font from typesetting.  That would be too impractical.  I would guess that photographing an original is probably the only way that facsimile labels are produced.  In any case, making new fonts from scratch, to try to reproduce the old font, would likely produce a font that could be different enough to recognise/deduce that it is NOT the font that was used on the original issue.

I would bet the farm that both of these are originals, and that the boots were the black issue, which is easier to attempt to reproduce, and, I believe, was the first press run.  I believe that both press runs occurred during the initial run of sales of that release, but were pressed at 2 different plants, probably because the first was too busy, and Detroit stores were out of their first batch, and requesting refills that Bronse couldn't deliver.

I have done some more research and Discogs have the black label as released in 2012 (as a re-issue) maybe the original black label is missing from their database

Social source share

2 hours ago, RobbK said:

It MUST be.  I bought mine in 1965.

Isn't the original black press a New York press.  It also states that on 45cat.  Gold or Bronze being Detroit press?

The one in the above post looks like a recent press looking at the circles under the label.

There is also a chance that the so-called legit looking copies seen, out of sight etc are also fake.  If they are going to press fake originals they will also press fake recent issues, they do appear to be more  credible than a boot.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

8 hours ago, chalky said:

Isn't the original black press a New York press.  It also states that on 45cat.  Gold or Bronze being Detroit press?

The one in the above post looks like a recent press looking at the circles under the label.

There is also a chance that the so-called legit looking copies seen, out of sight etc are also fake.  If they are going to press fake originals they will also press fake recent issues, they do appear to be more  credible than a boot.

Yes, the bronze-coloured one is the Detroit pressing, which l believe, was pressed at American.  Yes, the black issue's font looks like a New York font that was common in the early-to-mid '60s.  Now that you mention it, I agree that circular indentation around the centre hole of the Detroit pressing was NOT on any of American's records of that time.  So, maybe that is the boot.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

So is the 2012 "re-issue" deffo a bootleg then ?

I would imagine those who own the rights didn’t receive any money. Not to say something wasn’t lodged with ASCSP or whoever. It is s popular trick to say they can’t trace the owners, pay a small fee and hope the rights owner doesn’t come forward. Sort of semi legit bootleg if you like as those doing them exploiting a loop hole inter system. Others are out of copyright too. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Slightly off-topic but, Claude 'Dusty' Williams of Tomangoes fame was rumoured to be another moniker for the Dusty Wilson discussed here.

Indeed when Claude Williams was brought over here by Neil Rushden he was given billing on the posters as 'Dusty Wilson of Tomangoes' and obviously was quite happy to appear under that name, both onstage and on the poster.

Much later when interviewed by Hitsville Chalky, Chalky asked him outright whether he was the very same 'Dusty' who had recorded under the name Wilson. Williams then stated categorically that he was NOT that Dusty at all and had never recorded under the Wilson name. 

My lass had quite some discussion with HC about it during one of her many Tomangoes discussions and neither could draw any conclusion either way! HC showed her the interview and as he did indeed state it wasn't him, when my lass showed him the poster he was at odds, they both were, strange indeed!

Only thing I can say is that when I first heard the 'Can't do without you' with no knowledge of the above, my first reaction was 'sounds like the voice on Tomangoes!' 

Wouldn't mind one of the Dusty Wilson 45s even if it were a legit reissue, wouldn't want a boot though, although if I'm being honest I do have a fair selection of the 'Out Of the Past' 45s that I believe were boots, I hang onto them as they were gifted to me when I first joined the scene!

Apologies for the thread drift, although it is somewhat connected.:hatsoff2:

Social source share

10 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Slightly off-topic but, Claude 'Dusty' Williams of Tomangoes fame was rumoured to be another moniker for the Dusty Wilson discussed here.

Indeed when Claude Williams was brought over here by Neil Rushden he was given billing on the posters as 'Dusty Wilson of Tomangoes' and obviously was quite happy to appear under that name, both onstage and on the poster.

Much later when interviewed by Hitsville Chalky, Chalky asked him outright whether he was the very same 'Dusty' who had recorded under the name Wilson. Williams then stated categorically that he was NOT that Dusty at all and had never recorded under the Wilson name. 

My lass had quite some discussion with HC about it during one of her many Tomangoes discussions and neither could draw any conclusion either way! HC showed her the interview and as he did indeed state it wasn't him, when my lass showed him the poster he was at odds, they both were, strange indeed!

Only thing I can say is that when I first heard the 'Can't do without you' with no knowledge of the above, my first reaction was 'sounds like the voice on Tomangoes!' 

Wouldn't mind one of the Dusty Wilson 45s even if it were a legit reissue, wouldn't want a boot though, although if I'm being honest I do have a fair selection of the 'Out Of the Past' 45s that I believe were boots, I hang onto them as they were gifted to me when I first joined the scene!

Apologies for the thread drift, although it is somewhat connected.:hatsoff2:

Dusty Wilson has a very distinctive voice,I've never believed that he is the singer in the Tomangoes. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Dusty Wilson has a very distinctive voice,I've never believed that he is the singer in the Tomangoes. 

Some do say that.

Just searching the site to add the poster I mentioned to my post and saw a comment from Kev Roberts that when he interviewed Claude Williams he had stated that he WAS the same Dusty and had recorded under the name Dusty Wilson!

It is a conundrum that's how come I raised the point!

Just found it, seems that Claude Williams was quite happy about this statement when he appeared over here onstage at Soulvation's event.

It isn't something that can be argued from either side, the man has contradicted himself, it's something we are probably never going to know for sure, my opinion is though that he would've been mortified to see himself billed under the wrong name, that's all I can say about it!

636F3B0A-881B-47F2-8278-844B95855940.thumb.jpeg.3dd10440dbd4482f8a55ccee139c548c.jpg

kr.jpg

Edited by BabyBoyAndMyLass
Added screenshot.
Social source share

12 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Some do say that.

Just searching the site to add the poster I mentioned to my post and saw a comment from Kev Roberts that when he interviewed Claude Williams he had stated that he WAS the same Dusty and had recorded under the name Dusty Wilson!

Just found it, seems that Claude Williams was quite happy about this statement when he appeared over here onstage at Soulvation's event.

It isn't something that can be argued from either side, the man has contradicted himself, it's something we are probably never going to know for sure, my opinion is though that he would've been mortified to see himself billed under the wrong name, that's all I can say about it!

636F3B0A-881B-47F2-8278-844B95855940.thumb.jpeg.3dd10440dbd4482f8a55ccee139c548c.jpg

kr.jpg

I understand what you're saying and I think it's something that will always be debated. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I noticed all the black label versions of the song have Zebra/ Glodis as the music publishers and all the gold label versions

credit just Zebra. Is there a Gold Bronse label with the 2 publisher credits? Also- where does the version with the address on the label

fit in- is this an early pressing or a later one?

d2.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, the yank said:

I noticed all the black label versions of the song have Zebra/ Glodis as the music publishers and all the gold label versions

credit just Zebra. Is there a Gold Bronse label with the 2 publisher credits? Also- where does the version with the address on the label

d2.jpg

The Zebra relation may be connected here. Not sure which came first but address copy seems more likely or though both are legit

Dusty.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Some do say that.

kr.jpg

The Dusty Wilson on Bronze and Zebra, his name is Eddie Wilson.  

Edited by chalky
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Dale Merrill said:

I am married to Dusty Wilson's daughter. She was his only child (that we know of at least) and sole surviving heir. His real name is Eddie and he passed away in the 1990s.

-Claude Williams is not Dusty. I believe the Tomangoes singer's last name was Williams. (I had a conversation with Gino Washington about this once. He also said they were not the same person.)

-There have been several comps that "Can't Do Without You" has appeared on. Some semi-legit. Some not at all. She's never been contacted or compensated for their use. Same with that black label boot from a few years back. We're currently following some vague leads as to the source of these that pressing as well as trying to straighten out banked royalties (if there are any. The Detroit Cobras version of the song still gets college radio play in the US so reports of such should be on file as all US radio stations are required to pay a yearly fee to publisher BMI.)

We don't even have copies of any of his records. When Dusty and my wife's mom split, it was not on good terms. She pretty much trashed everything he left behind. My wife doesn't even have a photo of him. Just memories from when she was a child. 

welcome to the site Dale and thanks for sharing the info 

good luck with the search for banked royalties

cheers

mike

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, Dale Merrill said:

I am married to Dusty Wilson's daughter. She was his only child (that we know of at least) and sole surviving heir. His real name is Eddie and he passed away in the 1990s.

-Claude Williams is not Dusty. I believe the Tomangoes singer's last name was Williams. (I had a conversation with Gino Washington about this once. He also said they were not the same person.)

-There have been several comps that "Can't Do Without You" has appeared on. Some semi-legit. Some not at all. She's never been contacted or compensated for their use. Same with that black label boot from a few years back. We're currently following some vague leads as to the source of these that pressing as well as trying to straighten out banked royalties (if there are any. The Detroit Cobras version of the song still gets college radio play in the US so reports of such should be on file as all US radio stations are required to pay a yearly fee to publisher BMI.)

We don't even have copies of any of his records. When Dusty and my wife's mom split, it was not on good terms. She pretty much trashed everything he left behind. My wife doesn't even have a photo of him. Just memories from when she was a child. 

Hi Dale

I don't like to assume but it is possible that this is also connected

Dusty.jpg

Social source share

25 minutes ago, Dale Merrill said:

Yes. According to my wife, the address on that one used to be where here grandmothers house was.

So may I ask what the connection was to the label and her grandmothers house, as the label has more recordings including one by a group called the Keggs and as far as I know the studio was burnt to the ground in the riots just after their recording :(

Social source share

On 03/12/2018 at 16:00, the yank said:

d2.jpg

Hi Blackpoolsoul,

My old copy had the address label on it, but it was a sticker , its a good question you pose though.

1561123481_21.thumb.jpg.aca4c5b79c715e743513843a1a0c9a50.jpg

Edited by spook
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

32 minutes ago, speedlimit said:

Is it also the same Dusty(dustin) Wilson who did " have some sympathy " on Judas and   " it's going to be a tragedy " with the corals on mutt ??

Yes it's the same Dusty Wilson as on mutt,this came out twice,one credited to Dusty Wilson and the Corals,the other to Dusty Wilson only.As far as the Judas release,I'm not sure. Chris. 

Social source share

28 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Yes it's the same Dusty Wilson as on mutt,this came out twice,one credited to Dusty Wilson and the Corals,the other to Dusty Wilson only.As far as the Judas release,I'm not sure. Chris. 

The Judas release will need to have been a subtle name change

Dusty.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Updated
Social source share

This has now become so important to me to get some more info on Eddie for his daughter

I was adopted it took me 48 years to find my family and I managed to get a photo of my mum (who had passed away), so I know what it means.

I am not a member of https://soulfuldetroit.com/forum.php and there are many more contacts on there as well as here, who perhaps can help her and as a community we can be proud to help her and what a great result if we can (all from a discussion about a bootleg)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Updated
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, Dale Merrill said:

Thankyou so much for this valued insight Dale!

Claude Williams did indeed write the rhyme and sing the song 'I really love you' by The Tomangoes. Claude Williams did also go by the nick-name of 'Dusty', hence the confusion, this coupled with the fact that he was prepared to appear under the name of 'Dusty Wilson' as posted earlier in the thread is really the point on which my questions about this have been based. Also Claude 'Dusty' Williams has stated in interviews that he was Dusty Wilson and also that he was not! That is where this confusion has been further fuelled.

Many thanks again for your insight on this, best wishes! :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

So may I ask what the connection was to the label and her grandmothers house, as the label has more recordings including one by a group called the Keggs and as far as I know the studio was burnt to the ground in the riots just after their recording :(

That we don't know. My wife was just a little kid when his records came out. I was under the impression that the two Orbit labels we're not the same.

The house at that address still stands. It's one of those post war bungalows. It's not too far from Fort Street which is where my wife lived as a child. She also recalls Eddie having a practice studio right in the same area.

She was about 8 years old when her folks split. She only ever saw him a time or two after that. I asked her mother a bit about Eddie but all I ever got were curses. She passed away a couple years ago.

Her birth certificate with Eddie's name on it, some memories and the year he died is the only real info we have. 

Edited by Dale Merrill
Added info
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, speedlimit said:

Is it also the same Dusty(dustin) Wilson who did " have some sympathy " on Judas and   " it's going to be a tragedy " with the corals on mutt ??

I have listened to the Dustin Wilson and I cannot say whether it is Dusty (sounds different)

This is Dusty (Eddie) with the Corals you mentioned

Dusty.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Typo
Social source share

1 minute ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

It appears, I think, that Chalky meant that it's Frank Wilson using a different name (on Tollie) and not related in anyway to Dusty Wilson, but I am sure he will explain for you

Yer but...

F Wilson writing credit E Wilson artist.

Surely Frank would have disguised both?

The plot thickens...

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Yer but...

F Wilson writing credit E Wilson artist.

Surely Frank would have disguised both?

The plot thickens...

Ed

He doesn’t have to hide his name as a writer, I don’t think he was a staff writer in 64 and if Jobete/Motown didn’t use his work then he can use it elsewhere. Why Eddie, not sure, maybe under contract as a singer at Motown then?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

He doesn’t have to hide his name as a writer, I don’t think he was a staff writer in 64 and if Jobete/Motown didn’t use his work then he can use it elsewhere. Why Eddie, not sure, maybe under contract as a singer at Motown then?

Ok

I guess you would know this by speaking with the late Frank/Eddie.

You learn something every day.

I had no idea this was Frank also.

If I would have.....I would have asked him to sing it at the LA 2004 gig.

What other labels did Frank record on around that time?

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Well said,far to often these topics end up going off on a tangent and end up having no relevance to the original subject. Chris. 

Yes, glad it's returned back to topic, it was only a few sentences, but had drifted away somewhat, can I ask though that folks take a look at this and try to avoid 1) Posting more than two embedded vids in a rake and 2) Reposting rakes of vids as quotes, instructions in this link: 

Thanks lads.

So, exactly how many records that we're aware of did Dusty Wilson actually cut?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!