Favorite two-step tracks/artists?

Babinski

Hello everyone!

As somewhat of a soul newbie I'm strill struggling a bit with soul subgenre classification, but apparenly I love what's referred to as two step soul or "steppers". I'm not really a dancer but I guess it's that smooth, laidback and funky sound I'm looking for.

Anyways, feel free to share one or a couple of your favorite tracks/45s or if there are any specifik artists I really should dig into.

A couple of examples that I really dig are Jeffree - Loves gonna last, Paris - I choose you, Keni Burke - Risin to the top.

Any tips will be much appreciated!

Social source share

having looked on youtube at what is categorised as "2 steppers" i'm going to remove this post

Edited by Gogs
misunderstanding
Social source share

Im no authority on this genre but I came across the Chicago Stepping Dance scene a few years ago which Ive posted on my Pinterest Boards. Its roots are said to have evolved from the 1970's Disco dance 'The Bop' and were popularised by Chicago DJ Sam Chatman . Its got some slick moves commonly delivered by couples .. not always male - female to tunes that might be considered Two Step ? It reminds me a bit of the 'Beach Music Scene ' from the Carolina's and like that it is still active with its own competition's , reunions and compilation LP's for folks of a certain age. Sounds familiar. !! 🙂 Here's an example , the tune is Steve Butler's 'Shakedown' . (2005) 

Social source share

Just noted shades of the moves from LJ Reynolds track posted above by BlackpoolSoul . Sam Chatman still organises Chicago events via Facebook apparently. Here's another clip .(2010)   I understand its not a Gay couple .. not that it matters .. ,and the 2nd track is Mario's 'Call the Cops'. .Some slick moves here guys . 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 05/12/2018 at 08:10, Babinski said:

As somewhat of a soul newbie I'm still struggling a bit with soul sub genre classification, but apparently I love what's referred to as two step soul or "steppers". I'm not really a dancer but I guess it's that smooth, laidback and funky sound I'm looking for. 

Anyways, feel free to share one or a couple of your favorite tracks/45s or if there are any specifik artists I really should dig into.

A couple of examples that I really dig are Jeffree - Loves gonna last, Paris - I choose you, Keni Burke - Risin to the top. Any tips appreciated!

How refreshing to find a thread on here not dominated by people arguing the toss over who played what where and why he or she should or shouldn't have done, a thread for those of us just concentrating of the music itself.

My best music friend Gary Lee, who passed away two years ago almost to the day, when asked by me, when I too back in the 1990's wasn't sure at the time, described a two step track as one that had the next feel upwards from a ballad, and with a tempo that if one were standing with a partner would create a desire to hold them gently whilst taking a short step to one side, followed by a second step back to the starting position. At first I disputed this as I felt it was more likely in Gary's case, a minimum of "two steps" to one side of him would be the likely course of action any girl had on her mind if she saw him heading her way as soon as a set of slow tracks was about to begin. He didn't dispute that and maintained that both scenarios were possible. 

I have in front of me a database of BPM's of my own collection, [timed down to 1/10th of a beat] which I have sorted in a specific order for this exercise. The question is, what is the cut off BPM for two steppers in that file? I'm looking at titles now and singing them, I know these inside out and I'm struggling to convince myself that any of those above 95 BPM are two steppers. However, it could be argued that it doesn't end there because the lyrical content has to be considered for the two stepping motion to be logical. Are a happy couple likely to want to two step with each other to a track titled "You're no good for me (you cheating bastard)?" Hence why I rarely use the phrase two step as it doesn't make sense unless a track contains all of the required ingredients.

For entering video links, at the bottom of each video you can click on the feature which just uploads the link rather than an image of the video itself to save space on the forum page. However, the slightest mistake doing so and you will waste an eternity trying to correct it as I just did hence I had to just load as normal to save time. As I'd already prepared all of the 15 links I've gone ahead and done it this time but will restrict any future postings on this thread to a max of 10. Perhaps Soul Source can improve the above issue?

This first batch of 15 takes us up to 85.4 BPM in ascending order and should give anyone in any doubt a better idea, note the lyrical content in each. Interested to hear your thoughts but just click on reply, don't copy the entire posting otherwise it's going to include all of the videos again. Martin

63.0 Chaz & Trina Simmons Getting Ready For Love

66.2 Vokal Ride

68.0 Yvonne Gage Mystic Love Affair [Mind blowing track but lyrics not quite right for stepping. The rest of the LP is very poor]

69.0 Robert Brookins Crazy Bout Your Love

72.0 Michael Franks & Rene Diggs [Starpoint]  Love Duet

72.3 Chris Jasper The First Time

73.0 First Love  Things Are Not The Same Without You

73.6 Joshie Jo Armstead Right Place

75.1 Kashif & Melisa Morgan Love Changes [Cover version of the Mother’s Finest track from 1978]

75.7 Airplay Nothing You Can Do About It [Stunning track but a bit too lively for stepping]

77.9 Herb Alpert  You Are The One  [This highly unfashionable LP is a classic in my opinion]

80.2 Bennie Braxton Come To Me

83.2 Me Him & Her Closer

83.5 Kuh Ledesma Keep On Loving me

85.4 Colin Blunstone Touch

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!