Favorite two-step tracks/artists?

Babinski

Robert Gilliam was a very popular track down here, 101.9 BPM but still considered a two stepper because of it's general feel with beats that have a well spaced out groove. No driving bass line but somehow enough ingredients to do the trick. I wonder what she was doing between that diabolical Buddah 12"  trash ["Magic In The Music" - trust me there ain't any in that example] she had in 1978 and then "All I Want" in 1985, which involved two members of GQ: Keith Sweat and Herb Lane.

I was looking at an old playlist from a function where I played "All I Want'" quite early in the night, it was the last track in the warm up section which then went as follows: Robert 101.9, First Love It's A Mystery To Me 101.7, C&C Music Factory I Found Love 101.9 [The "Rock To The Beat" vocal intro requires that you have to mix this track over an instrumental section of the previous track to avoid a clash of vocals, hence why First Love in the middle], DTrain Trying To Get Over Instrumental [Flip of Walk On By US 12] 103.2, Lillo Thomas Your'e A Good Girl Instr with Chorus 104.8 [UK 12], Kleeer Tonight 105.0, Change Mutual Attraction 105.6, Chic My Forbidden Lover 106.0, SOS High Hopes 106.9, World Premiere Share The Night 108.3, and so on. Babinski can put all of those down on his wants list straight away!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:59, Martin S said:

Steve, the whole point of the thread is to educate readers as to what qualifies as a two step track. You are correct in stating that a lot of the tracks listed so far are not recognised two steppers and in response to this I have spent time breaking them down with reasons provided for such. However, someone might post a track that was stunning but not recognised yet, following which it will be.

I believe I'm correct in saying that the majority of readers would be far more interested to hear a bunch of titles that you believe are two steppers, rather than suggest the thread is closed. A one sentence negative posting helps no one. Please list titles that are not already in these 29 https://www.redbullradio.com/shows/sound-obsession/episodes/kirk-degiorgio-hackney-2-step-originals most of which I was asked for countless times throughout the 90's. 

Thanks

That's a fair comment and my apologies for the negative one-liner. Anyway, I would suggest for starters:-

Natures Divine - I Just Can't Control Myself

Betty Wright - Make Me Love The Rain

Betty Wright - Smother me

Rumpelstilskin - I Need You

Windy City - Just For You

Creative Source - Thanks For Loving Me

Keith Barrow - If Its Love You're Looking For

Skoolboyz -This Feeling Is For Real

Sahara - The Wind

Matt Covington - We Got One

Josie James - Win Your Love

Pure Pleasure - By My Side

Cloe Martin - It Comes To My Attention

Art Wilson - Stay

Numonics - You Lied

Delegation - In Love's Time

Esther Phillips - I Hope You'll Be Unhappy Without Me

Confunkshun - By Your Side

IND - I'm Not Ready

Pleasure - Thoughts Of Old Flames

Norman Connors - Wouldn't You Like To See

Everlife - Dream Machine

Kleeer - Say You'll Stay

Free Life - Wish You Were Here

Wee Gee - In The Rain

7 Miles High - She's Gone Away

Freedom - I Give You Love

Barkays - Attitudes

P Funk All Stars - One Of Those Summers

Serenade - La La La For Love

Hi Inergy - Save It For A Rainy Day

Osborne and Giles - I'll Make You A Offer

Shotgun - Love Attack

Chain Reaction - Never Lose Never Win

Breakwater - You Know I Love You

Wish - Your Love

Barry White - Playing Your Games

Fathers Children - Got To Get Away

Samson and Delilah - Don't Listen To Your Friends

Emotions - A Feeling Is

Future Flight - Hip-notic Lady

All of these are on YouTube and recommended listens/purchases.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Steve, what a fantastic contribution, I don't think anyone saw that coming! Thanks for apol's as well. At a glance there's a few there I don't know so I will check those out. Thanks for not putting the videos up as well because it takes so much space with that number. If there's any site personnel reading this, is it possible to reduce the amount of page space the videos take up please? Thanks, Martin

Social source share

Samson and Delilah - Don't Listen To Your Friends - Pittsburgh International Records

If anyone has this 45, can you please look in the run out groove and post the matrix number details. There's no year stated on the label and I want to establish whether this is the first release of the song, as I have the version by First Class on 12" Parkway. I prefer that version hence haven't chased the S&D. On Discogs another record on Pittsburgh Intl is listed as being pressed at Goldisc, Long Island, NY. I have a database with a selection of matrix's from that plant that might allow me to date it. Or if anyone has precise info on both releases which they are able to quantify, please post it.  Good atmosphere on this thread, enjoying it, thanks, Martin

Social source share

When I worked as barman in a macro-discotheque in my student years, this mellow track by Gene Dunlap feat. The Ridgeways was played during years when the DJ's  played "slow" (during around 30 - 45' they played ballads for "to dance embraced"; "Lover's Hollydays" by Lou Rawls, "Turn Of The Lights" by Teddy Pendergrass, "Reunited" by Peaches & Herb, "Being With You" by Smokey Robinson among others were the usual soul ballads between 1980 and 1985 every "slow session"). But I think "It's Just The Way I Feel It" is not a ballad for the tempo and for the structure. I'm wondering if can be labeled as a two step one (?):

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

Gene Dunlap - It's Just The Way I Feel

100% two stepper at around the 90 BPM mark. Wonderful song.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Hi Gloss "You'll Never Know" was a massive hit in the pop charts here in the UK, it's 98.5 BPM and I personally think this one qualifies as a two stepper. It's too fast for a ballad but not quite fast enough for a dance/disco beat. "I'm Totally Yours" on the flip of the single, and on the LP, is a mind blowing boogie track, check it out if you haven't already heard it. Two of my favourite musicians, Timmy Allen [Bass] and Kae Williams [Keyboards] from the BB&Q, Change, and High Fashion set up, play on this LP.

I'm Totally Yours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvSO3dy4amg

Edited by Guest
Social source share

1 hour ago, Martin S said:

Samson and Delilah - Don't Listen To Your Friends - Pittsburgh International Records

If anyone has this 45, can you please look in the run out groove and post the matrix number details. There's no year stated on the label and I want to establish whether this is the first release of the song, as I have the version by First Class on 12" Parkway. I prefer that version hence haven't chased the S&D. On Discogs another record on Pittsburgh Intl is listed as being pressed at Goldisc, Long Island, NY. I have a database with a selection of matrix's from that plant that might allow me to date it. Or if anyone has precise info on both releases which they are able to quantify, please post it.  Good atmosphere on this thread, enjoying it, thanks, Martin

I have it and I'll post those details tomorrow along with a long list of other two step treasures nestling nicely on my shelves!!

Social source share

2 hours ago, steveh73 said:

I would suggest for starters:-

Natures Divine - I Just Can't Control Myself

Betty Wright - Make Me Love The Rain

Betty Wright - Smother me

Rumpelstilskin - I Need You

Windy City - Just For You

Creative Source - Thanks For Loving Me

Keith Barrow - If Its Love You're Looking For

Skoolboyz -This Feeling Is For Real

Sahara - The Wind

Matt Covington - We Got One

Josie James - Win Your Love

Pure Pleasure - By My Side

Cloe Martin - It Comes To My Attention

Art Wilson - Stay

Numonics - You Lied

Delegation - In Love's Time

Esther Phillips - I Hope You'll Be Unhappy Without Me

Confunkshun - By Your Side

IND - I'm Not Ready

Pleasure - Thoughts Of Old Flames

Norman Connors - Wouldn't You Like To See

Everlife - Dream Machine

Kleeer - Say You'll Stay

Free Life - Wish You Were Here

Wee Gee - In The Rain

7 Miles High - She's Gone Away

Freedom - I Give You Love

Barkays - Attitudes

P Funk All Stars - One Of Those Summers

Serenade - La La La For Love

Hi Inergy - Save It For A Rainy Day

Osborne and Giles - I'll Make You A Offer

Shotgun - Love Attack

Chain Reaction - Never Lose Never Win

Breakwater - You Know I Love You

Wish - Your Love

Barry White - Playing Your Games

Fathers Children - Got To Get Away

Samson and Delilah - Don't Listen To Your Friends

Emotions - A Feeling Is

Future Flight - Hip-notic Lady

All of these are on YouTube and recommended listens/purchases.

Steve, if Babinski goes broke we know who to blame. I have just finished going through the list and every one of them is a two stepper. I knew all but a few of them so it was quite a simple task. You clearly know what you're talking about. 

There were 3 tracks I'd never heard before. The IND track is the flip of a 45 on an obscure label, however its A side is on the excellent LP on Erect which I have. Sahara was a track I used to see written on wants lists but had never heard. It sounds okay but not one I would put on my own list. I didn't know the Windy City track. There's another non-LP 45 by them which I have, the mind blowing "I still love you baby."

https://www.discogs.com/Windy-City-I-Still-Love-You/master/669171

It's strange how occasionally there's a major label LP that I see a photo of, and think how the hell have I never owned a copy of that? The Fathers Children on Mercury is one of those examples, although I don't remember this LP being common in the UK. 

For me, the instantly recognisable stand outs were Art Wilson, 7 Miles High, Serenade [both sides], Shotgun [the chorus melody is the high point, sent chills down my back yet again], and Josie James with its awesome bass line courtesy of Nigel Martinez, check out his work with Billy Ocean and Light Of The World in particular, he's also the bassist on The Evasions Wikka Rap! 

I always preferred the flipside of the Wish track, it's a similar tempo, "You're The One," doesn't seem to be on youtube though. Two tracks of that tempo were an unusual release for Rams Horn, which is the label I have it on. Can't recall ever seeing the US 12".

Thanks, Martin

Edited by Guest
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Martin S said:

Steve, if Babinski goes broke we know who to blame. I have just finished going through the list and every one of them is a two stepper. I knew all but a few of them so it was quite a simple task. You clearly know what you're talking about. 

There were 3 tracks I'd never heard before. The IND track is the flip of a 45 on an obscure label, however its A side is on the excellent LP on Erect which I have. Sahara was a track I used to see written on wants lists but had never heard. It sounds okay but not one I would put on my own list. I didn't know the Windy City track. There's another non-LP 45 by them which I have, the mind blowing "I still love you baby."

https://www.discogs.com/Windy-City-I-Still-Love-You/master/669171

It's strange how occasionally there's a major label LP that I see a photo of, and think how the hell have I never owned a copy of that? The Fathers Children on Mercury is one of those examples, although I don't remember this LP being common in the UK. 

For me, the instantly recognisable stand outs were Art Wilson, 7 Miles High, Serenade [both sides], Shotgun [the chorus melody is the high point, sent chills down my back yet again], and Josie James with its awesome bass line courtesy of Nigel Martinez, check out his work with Billy Ocean and Light Of The World in particular, he's also the bassist on The Evasions Wikka Rap! 

I always preferred the flipside of the Wish track, it's a similar tempo, "You're The One," doesn't seem to be on youtube though. Two tracks of that tempo were an unusual release for Rams Horn, which is the label I have it on. Can't recall ever seeing the US 12".

Thanks, Martin

Thanks very much for the pointers, Martin - I will definitely check them out. I don't think I've played You're The One so I'll put that right tomorrow. I've loved the two step sound since the late 80s and hearing Body Fusion etc for the first time. Aside from Hollywood Dreaming, the Fathers Children album isn't too at all and the tune I listed makes it a worthwhile purchase IMHO. The IND album is great too, abounding with decent two-steppers. Another listing to follow tomorrow 🙂

Social source share

How have I never made this connection before despite owning these records for so many years? There are several Wish 12"s written and produced by William "Blue" Lovett of The Manhattans, and they're on....."Blue" Records Inc. It's taken me until minutes ago to realise that the label is therefore probably his. In celebration of this I've uploaded 2 x two steppers [or thereabouts] from The Manhattans.

Just The Lonely Talking comes from their 1983 LP, which includes Crazy and Locked Up In Your Love. The versatility of the session musicians on this LP can be highlighted by Theodis Rodgers of Omni playing the piano on the uploaded track, yet only months either side of this you'll find him on West Phillips electro funker I'm Just A Sucker For A Pretty Face [Uncredited but I met West in the early 90's and got the low down on it]. The other track I've uploaded is from their 1985 LP which includes C'est La Vie, and You're Gonna Love Being Loved By Me. 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Hi Josep, two good tracks by the O'Jays, shame about that fuzz guitar in the first one. Let me deal with the second track in major detail and demonstrate the basics of calculating BPM's to a professional level. 

O'Jays - I Want You Here With Me

There is no change to the tempo whatsoever throughout the entire track except for a very minor fluctuation as it is about to fade out, but we're talking a differential so small [approx 0.2 of a BPM] that the human ear is not going to detect it without a metronome or drum machine based track running along side it. 

I'll break down the formula for the BPM of this track as if I'm helping someone with no prior experience. Until at least two timings have been made we're not going to know whether a metronome has been used in the recording. Using the video in your post, tap one of your feet to the beat and find what's known as "the one." Most pieces of music are constructed in blocks of 4 beats, so get familiar with counting 1, 2, 3, 4, to the beat.

You need a stopwatch that goes down to 100th of a second, I use Casio wristwatches for the task. Play the track and start your stopwatch "on the one" of the beat, and count 5 blocks of 4 beats, pausing [not stopping it outright] your stopwatch on the 20th beat. Write down the timing and release the pause so that you can continue timing. As you approach one minute prepare to stop the stopwatch "on a 4" of the beat either before or after a minute. Write down the timing. Here's mine:

I started on the one of a bar a few seconds into the track. My 20th beat landed on 13.46 seconds, I landed on a 4 at 61.91 seconds. I wrote that down and went back to where I started to get a second opinion. 13.53, and 61.91 bang on again but I've done this thousands of times hence the accuracy. The test over 20 beats is done just to get a rough idea of what to expect over a full minute. Here's the calculations, we'll base the 20 beats on 13.50 which is mid range of the two readings:

13.50 seconds divided by 19 beats, [not 20 because we started the stopwatch on the one] = 0.7105, then 60 [seconds] divided by  0.7105 = 84.44 BPM, now we have a rough idea. Next we take the 61.91 which landed on a 4, and divide it by 87 beats on this occasion. Although 88 is the nearest number in blocks of 4, we have to knock off the one that we started the stopwatch on. So 61.91 divided by 87 = 0.7116, then 60 [seconds] divided by 0.7116 = 84.31 BPM. Next I got a track out that I already knew was 84.3 and made with a drum machine [Emotions - Eternally. from 1985 LP] and ran it side by side mixed. There was barely any meaningful fluctuation in the mix and it needed the slightest + or - to correct it. I tested it over the full track on this occasion including the point at which it was suggested there might be an increase in the tempo, there wasn't. 

The section that Josep referred to was from 3 mins 49 seconds onwards. Rather than the beat, it was the significant change in the key that seems to have misled him. I've just played along to the track on the bass. The majority of the first 3 mins 48 seconds are with the rhythm section playing: G, F#, E, C, Low F, D. The vocals are G, E, C, Low F, [No vocals over the F# or D]. Once the track hits 3.49, the remainder of it is played as E, D#, D, D, D#, E. To the untrained ear maybe the beat might sound faster, but to me as a musician and experienced DJ it was clearly the same.

If you want to make very rough BPM calculations over 20 beats [dividing by 19] then this is a good way to start, but you must time a track for a full minute or damned close to it and take at least two readings to get accurate results. I BPM down to one tenth of a beat and this is precisely what I recommend for anyone serious about their presentation style and ability to mix. This should get anyone started, if confused then make a posting and I'll help, it's what I'm here for. There's too much bad information on this subject on the net which I don't want you to be fooled by.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

20 hours ago, Martin S said:

Regards the Samson and Delilah 7, I can see - SD400A - FWCS - S8621 806 I hope that helps.

And a few more 2 step tunes to search for, listen to and buy if you feel so inclined:-

Caprells - What You Need Baby

Caprells - I Believe In The Stars

Bill - I Feel Good With You

Booker T - I Want You

Patti Austin - We're In Love

Black Ice - Blind Over You

Rufus - We Got The Way

Tavares - Turn Out The Nightlight

Sting - Do It In The Shower

Chocolate Milk - Over The Rainbow

Atlantic Starr - With Your Love I Come Alive

Little Anthony - Your Love

Shaker - Give Me Love

Slave - We Can Make Love

Natalie Cole and Peabo Bryson - What You Won't Do For Love

Ruth Copeland - Heaven

Jewel Bass - Seeing You Again

Norman Connors - Melancholy Fire

Notations - Take It Slow

Smokey Robinson - Family Song

Natural Four - Count On Me

Curtis Mayfield - Tripping Out

Jacksons - That's What You Get For Being Polite

Jacksons - Blues Away

Jocelyn Brown - If I Can't Have Your Love

Light Of The World - Number One Girl

Hi Tension - Autumn Love

Enjoy!!!

Cheers, Steve...…….

Social source share

Just a quick reply @steveh73, thanks for the matrix of S & D, at a quick glance that places it in 1980/81 but I will need to check a few more references to be more accurate. I notice you listed another 45 by Shaker which although undated appears to be 1980/81 using the matrix number shown on Discogs. I have their 45 on Zanibar https://www.discogs.com/Shaker-Stay-A-While-With-Me-Since-Were-Not-Together/release/8665175 [side A not worth worrying about] which has the same B side as the track you listed. Glad you listed it as I can now move that 1983 45 forward 2 or 3 years as the recording sounds identical. It's a decent ballad, not a two stepper: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=220&v=BJggVrGqh7E Thanks

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I was just looking at my copy of the Rufus LP Steve's track is from, and happened to notice on Youtube some breakdancers using the boogie track Tonight We Love from that LP. It struck me as quite an unusual one and the guys were good. So slightly off topic hence I've just inserted the link to keep space to a minimum, track will be a new find to some though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rVQzkTQBRc

Edited by Guest
Social source share

@steveh73 There were 4 from that bunch I don't have, both the Caprells, Jewell Bass, and Shaker as mentioned earlier. Got a question on Ruth Copeland, have you listed the correct track Steve as it wasn't saying much when I just played it and the only track I've kept this LP for is "Milky Way Man" which imo is a great tune. For anyone who saw the name Sting and might have been surprised, don't panic, this is a soul group on ABC, a 1978 LP which I must say isn't great overall! Pick of that bunch for me would be the flip side of Bill, "Space Lady." I'll stick a few up later. Martin

Social source share

@Blackpoolsoul

Sorry to have to tell you but none of your last 4 titles, as good as they are, are two step tracks, especially P Jacques and 52nd Street. You're still running approx 10 to 15 BPM too fast too often. Here's the approx BPM's: Teddy P 98.0, Gene Chandler 100.5, Peter Jacques 101.6, 52nd Street 105.6. Are a crowd likely to boogie, or treat Peter Jacques and 52nd Street as a chance to engage in romance? If the answer is boogie, then they're not two step tracks.

Edited by Guest
Felt I was being over critical
Social source share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s082qlstM1g Stephanie Mills - Don't Stop 74.5 Approx BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyv1Awrlf2Q  Jaki Graham - Let's get Blue 79.3 BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9MWbYfP-qo  Herbie - Give It All Your Heart 75.8 BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmFOyUO9QBY  Herbie - Satisfied With Love 79.5 BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYlWClavgS4 Herbie - Tonight's The Night 78.8 BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3amZK9jh-Z8  Herbie - Making Love With You 88.8 BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWycYwEEBg  Dramatics - Treat Me Right 78.3 BPM [Superb LP]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjVRJrz6-6I  Dramatics - I Don't Want To Lose Your Love 66.7 BPM [Superb LP]

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av7n3VpFLDQ  Chilites - Heavenly Body 76.6 BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MlZ8VhhClI  Deon Estus - Spell 76.4 BPM

Edited by Guest
Social source share

8 hours ago, Martin S said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s082qlstM1g Stephanie Mills - Don't Stop 74.5 Approx BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyv1Awrlf2Q  Jaki Graham - Let's get Blue 79.3 BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9MWbYfP-qo  Herbie - Give It All Your Heart 75.8 BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmFOyUO9QBY  Herbie - Satisfied With Love 79.5 BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYlWClavgS4 Herbie - Tonight's The Night 78.8 BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3amZK9jh-Z8  Herbie - Making Love With You 88.8 BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWycYwEEBg  Dramatics - Treat Me Right 78.3 BPM [Superb LP]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjVRJrz6-6I  Dramatics - I Don't Want To Lose Your Love 66.7 BPM [Superb LP]

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av7n3VpFLDQ  Chilites - Heavenly Body 76.6 BPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MlZ8VhhClI  Deon Estus - Spell 76.4 BPM

Now that is a nice list of tunes, especially the Herbie Hancock selections!!

Social source share

Thinking of that stellar Gina Breedlove tune, a few slightly more contemporary tunes that might have 2 step appeal are:-

Adriana Evans - Love Is All Around

Earth Wind and Fire feat. Raphael Saadiq - Show Me The Way

Nu Colours - Do You Wanna Go Back To When

Sleepys Theme - Choked Out Saturday Night

Sinclair - I Want You Back

Happy Christmas!!

Steve...….

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, guest said:

This is very important . They were not tracks to be throwing yourself around on the dance floor to . They were chosen originally to fit in with reggae / lovers rock rock tunes at house party's / functions beacause of their tempo. I remember Louisa Marks / I caught you in lie being a massive revival tune in the 80's and as rule of thumb - the 2 step tracks would have to fit in with this type of lovers rock 45 and others similar . The more uptempo boogie tunes would have just jarred [ as good as they are ]

Please remember that the "original ask" on this thread as not just about the two step sub genres that keep coming up, but "smooth, laidback and funky sound I'm looking for"

I don't think it's just about BPM's, it's about "Scenes". The scenes as far as I know (but I am old and can just about manage 2 steps) are the Two Step (morphed from the jazz funk) "scene" that appeared in the late 70's and early 80's (In the UK and particularly in the Midlands, Birmingham, Manchester and Nottingham to name a few, but Colin Curtis would fill you in more and he's even older than me!!!) The London "Scene" in the mid 80's +, that has been often referred to on this thread and the "Steppers Scene" in the USA. There of course is the Two Step "Scene" on the "Northern Soul Scene", which consists of 60's to present day tunes of a slower beat

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 24/12/2018 at 10:44, Blackpoolsoul said:

Please remember that the "original ask" on this thread was not just about the two step sub genres that keep coming up, but "smooth, laidback and funky sound I'm looking for." / I don't think it's just about BPM's

Some good points there. Firstly let's not forget why most of us were originally attracted to this thread, the title and content of the orig post:

Favorite two-step tracks/artists?

As somewhat of a soul newbie I'm still struggling a bit with soul sub genre classification, but apparently I love what's referred to as two step soul or "steppers". I'm not really a dancer but I guess it's that smooth, laidback and funky sound I'm looking for. Anyways, feel free to share one or a couple of your favorite tracks/45s or if there are any specific artists. Examples I dig are Jeffree Love's gonna last, Paris I choose you, Keni Burke Risin.

For me, the importance lay on those three titles I've highlighted in bold, all of them are two step classics which suggested Bab's was already in the desired zone and was asking for tracks that had the same ingredients. However, @Blackpoolsoul has brought something to our attention which might suggest why some of his uploads have been of faster tempo than the classic two step groove, it's because Bab's does mention the word "funky" and this does somewhat go against the two step criteria. Granted some of the two steppers have an element of funk in them, I mean you only have to check those 4 of Herbie's I uploaded last night, but I guess it's how controlled the funk is and the tempo of it that will matter.

At no point have any of us said it's just about BPM's, however it comes as no coincidence that almost every track I've questioned has been over the general threshold of a two step track, sometimes well over. Like many things in life, it's an area that you have to apply "the balance of probability" to. Cardiff City had lost 10 of their 11 matches v teams in the top half of the table prior to meeting Man U on Saturday. On the balance of probability it comes as no surprise they lost again. If we have 11 guaranteed two step tracks in front of us and only one has a BPM higher that 96.0, it represents only 9%. Therefore the probability of a track of 100 BPM qualifying sometime in the future is going to be very low and if so, it's likely to need ingredients that have a general feel that subconsciously drives it under 100 BPM for the listener. I'm not trying to convert this in to science, but I am merely quoting overwhelmingly general statistics.  

Last night I left out several titles from my uploads that were in the 75-76 BPM range because I felt they were "too bouncy" to classify as two step, including this one of 76.6 BPM. If anyone would classify this as a two stepper please let me know though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFlIPBrmgZwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFlIPBrmgZw

The 3 from @Blackpoolsoul this morning are in the right zone although I'm not sure I needed reminding that Toast is one of the only Crown Heights Affair related records [c/o Smithcox Horns] that I don't own from the early 80's!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Pretty sure my friend Gary had Breeze as I recall it was he who played it to me. 

Edit: Part of earlier message deleted as I actually have the Breeze "Replenish My Love" same both sides Promo. I shall play this later and post a report on it as it's not on Youtube.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

6 hours ago, guest said:

This is very important . They were not tracks to be throwing yourself around on the dance floor to . They were chosen originally to fit in with reggae / lovers rock rock tunes at house party's / functions beacause of their tempo. I remember Louisa Marks / I caught you in lie being a massive revival tune in the 80's and as rule of thumb - the 2 step tracks would have to fit in with this type of lovers rock 45 and others similar . The more uptempo boogie tunes would have just jarred [ as good as they are ]

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Come on, you cannot be serious? Within 8 beats clearly this isn't remotely two step tempo, it has a political theme, and yet again too fast at exactly 100 BPM. Surely it's a wind up?

Social source share

5 more. The first one, as steve and surf will confirm, was one of THE most important two steps tracks down here, MASSIVE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAUOvoPvfo Joanna Gardner Pick Up Pieces 78.9-78.5 BPM [From an otherwise disappointing LP]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV_gRMtjBAs Champaign I'm On Fire 78.0-79.0 BPM [IMO absolute perfection yet no matter how many people I've tipped this off to in the past, no one has previously known it, yet it's a must have LP] 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKx_ukA3CkY Crackin You Know Where I Am 77.0-78.0 BPM [Another widely undiscovered gem]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpR8r0D2EyY Hall & Oates She's Gone [Orig by H&O 1973, covered by Lou Rawls and Tavares both 1974]  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM-KqJYJ3pU Evelyn King Kisses Don't Lie 78.6 BPM

Edited by Guest
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

It's a USA "Stepper" as per the beginning of this thread :)

I think it's now quite obvious you're not taking this as seriously as everyone else is, which is a shame because some of your recommendations are spot on whilst others are way off, despite them being good tracks.  

I'd be very interested to hear what the criteria for a USA stepper is from someone in....Blackpool. Please enlighten us.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!