The enigmatic Ty Karim.

Throughout the eighties going to niters my lass always used to ask for the same request, 'anything by...' more often than not she would get a 'gone-out' look, she would get a play at Keele, a DJ she knew there used to spin one for her, along with Bobbie Smith.

Still somewhat of an enigma nowadays on the scene, a great many who don't know her work. Kent records did her proud releasing her entire output to enjoy in one place, absolutely stellar album, treasured by us. An album of absolute gems featuring Blues, Jazz, Soul and funk cuts, Ty Kareem has a gritty, emotive, evocative and provocative edge to her vocals. The records a rarity, always on her husbands small labels, never owned an original and the values don't seem to reflect the rarity or quality of the sounds.

I reckon she deserves a thread here dedicated to her! I'll kick off with my personal favourite an emotive tome in a similar style to some of my other all-time faves Tomangoes, Tempests, it has that Tijuana style brass that I love coupled with the grit and emotion that I come to associate with the artist. In my opinion one of the best records! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Throughout the eighties going to niters my lass always used to ask for the same request, 'anything by...' more often than not she would get a 'gone-out' look, she would get a play at Keele, a DJ she knew there used to spin one for her, along with Bobbie Smith.

Still somewhat of an enigma nowadays on the scene, a great many who don't know her work. Kent records did her proud releasing her entire output to enjoy in one place, absolutely stellar album, treasured by us. An album of absolute gems featuring Blues, Jazz, Soul and funk cuts, Ty Kareem has a gritty, emotive, evocative and provocative edge to her vocals. The records a rarity, always on her husbands small labels, never owned an original and the values don't seem to reflect the rarity or quality of the sounds.

I reckon she deserves a thread here dedicated to her! I'll kick off with my personal favourite an emotive tome in a similar style to some of my other all-time faves Tomangoes, Tempests, it has that Tijuana style brass that I love coupled with the grit and emotion that I come to associate with the artist. In my opinion one of the best records! 

"All at once" is one of my favourites by the lady, along with the midtempo masterpiece "Lighten up" with the killer ballad " Don't let me be lonely tonight " on the flip. 

Think im missing her Senator 45 from my collection but can live with the cd with it on. 

What she left us was and still is a great legacy to her talent. 

Respect always Ty.

Edited by reforee
Spelling mistake
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!