Blackpoolsoul

Mellow Mellow Right On "Label"

My attention was drawn to the posting by the fact that Phonica (Soho) are advertising them. It's a shop I was buying new release house/nu jazz etc from between 2002 and 2006, a good shop at the time. I had a look at the M M Right On releases on Discogs, surely they're boots aren't they? Discogs should not be permitting sale of them if so.

Is it likely they have license for issuing Luther's She's A Super Lady? Incidentally the flip on that release surprises me. It's from a 1982 Jap LP that I've had since the mid 90's, a stunning boogie track which is already perfect and needs no tweaking. Here's the original LP version, what a tune:

Edited by Martin S

6 hours ago, Martin S said:

My attention was drawn to the posting by the fact that Phonica (Soho) are advertising them. It's a shop I was buying new release house/nu jazz etc from between 2002 and 2006, a good shop at the time. I had a look at the M M Right On releases on Discogs, surely they're boots aren't they? Discogs should not be permitting sale of them if so.

Is it likely they have license for issuing Luther's She's A Super Lady? Incidentally the flip on that release surprises me. It's from a 1982 Jap LP that I've had since the mid 90's, a stunning boogie track which is already perfect and needs no tweaking. Here's the original LP version, what a tune:

If it is a bootleg label then you are correct and neither should "Soul Brother Records" be selling them, but they are, perhaps we can get more comments

https://soulbrother.com/label/mellow-mellow-right-on/

I don't see any reason to assume the label is illegal. It's not that hard to get limited deals from the major labels to issue tracks. Calling them bootlegs could result in being sued for defamation. Before making public accusations why not alert the BPI or the copyright owners to see what they have to say.

45 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

I don't see any reason to assume the label is illegal. It's not that hard to get limited deals from the major labels to issue tracks. Calling them bootlegs could result in being sued for defamation. Before making public accusations why not alert the BPI or the copyright owners to see what they have to say.

I have done a little more research and Discogs have this one listed as unofficial but not the rest as far as I can tell

R-6670323-1425206514-3484.jpg

No one has outright called them bootlegs on here, the question has been merely asked as to whether they could be.

Using the example of the Luther track, I haven't seen the label on the flip side but if its just the logo again, then if that track had been licensed would there not be something stipulated in the agreement that all relevant credits for the piece of work such as the composer and publishing company, must be listed on the product? There are no contact details whatsoever shown on the product either, I wonder why? If they are licensed releases then surely as a label owner you'd want as much publicity and contact from interested sources as you could get?

They have released a couple for Record Store Day e.g. Al Hudson, Otis Clay etc and are on sale in most record shops in London e.g Phonica,Sounds of the Universe, Rough Trade. I thought they were legal issues.

5 hours ago, chalky said:

like to see some evidence that they are legit.  They haven't challenged what discogs says?

I don't know anything about this label, my general point was that when there is any hint of a label being illegal it sticks and will result in people labelling the records as being illegal bootlegs when they might not be. 

Innocent till proven guilty.

My mate Richio Suzuki puts them out.He is a bar dj and regular dj at The Bussey Building in London.IHe has no qualms about playing boots as he is not part of the Soul scene. I have never asked him if they were legal.! 

23 minutes ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

They're boots full stop.

Ian D

They certainly look like boots with nothing to suggest otherwise.  Some tracks I’m sure they would struggle to get licensing for at a decent price of at all. 

4 hours ago, chalky said:

They certainly look like boots with nothing to suggest otherwise.  Some tracks I’m sure they would struggle to get licensing for at a decent price of at all. 

Think of the amount of work it might take to obtain the licensing for the Japanese release, and the costs for Luther. It would not make commercial sense.

Wiggy, I'm surprised you've named the potential source of these in an open forum, or is that a diversionary tactic? I don't know the named individual.

9 hours ago, wiggyflat said:

My mate Richio Suzuki puts them out.He is a bar dj and regular dj at The Bussey Building in London.IHe has no qualms about playing boots as he is not part of the Soul scene. I have never asked him if they were legal.! 

Blimey, this the guy who used live "Up North" and has been on the scene for donkey's years, surely not stupid enough to bootleg records, mind you, it happens :(

I used to go to the Southport Soul Weekenders with him in the 80's and Dingwalls.He does loads of bar gigs and not on the scene.I think everyone Knows the repurcussions of bootlegging.They are sold through established shops and are still listed on Discogs so im assuming they are legal but ypu never Know.I do lay into him.for playing boots though.He is busy trying to buy modern soul originals as he has got a prestigious gig in Vienna.I just hope his Mellow stuff is legal.He is always at gigs talking about his new releases on the label to anyone in London and certainly does nothing cloak and dagger to should his identity and his Association with the releases.He even has gigs called Mellow Mellow Right On  with the exact same logo along with Mixcloud mixes.

Edited by wiggyflat

1 hour ago, wiggyflat said:

I used to go to the Southport Soul Weekenders with him in the 80's and Dingwalls.He does loads of bar gigs and not on the scene.I think everyone Knows the repurcussions of bootlegging.They are sold through established shops and are still listed on Discogs so im assuming they are legal but ypu never Know.I do lay into him.for playing boots though.He is busy trying to buy modern soul originals as he has got a prestigious gig in Vienna.I just hope his Mellow stuff is legal.He is always at gigs talking about his new releases on the label to anyone in London and certainly does nothing cloak and dagger to should his identity and his Association with the releases.He even has gigs called Mellow Mellow Right On  with the exact same logo along with Mixcloud mixes.

Plenty of retailers sell boots, unwittingly of course but it happens. 

7 hours ago, wiggyflat said:

Let's hope that he is able to respond to the comments directly on this site, as I am sure he will get to hear through the "grapevine"

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.