• Replies 4
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

10 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Just came across this and had no idea how far and reaching a label it was:

https://www.globaldogproductions.info/s/stateside-uk.html

My question is were UK singles issued simultaneously as it's US counterpart, or only after a successful run on the US release?

Ed

Ed. I would imagine that some only got a UK  issue.  Wasn't it emi/ Stateside then TMG / Stateside ? People who are a lot more knowledgeable than me will put you right 

Steve 

Social source share

I believe that Stateside was a label imprint introduced by EMI to rival London American and cater for the growing UK taste for independent US label R&B tunes that were not being 'rinsed' by Pat Boone and the like. EMI picked up the US rights for Berry Gordy's labels (after several false dawns with other UK imprints) and with Dave Godin's persistence introduced the Tamla Motown label for those acts whilst continuing Stateside for non Motown US releases. Almost certainly there were no simultaneous releases back in the day as it could take 6 months to break a record in the US before it ever got heard in the UK.

This was all pre-internet age and transatlantic phone calls was still relatively rare so information from the USA was very slow compared to today.     

Social source share

In the 60's, EMI had access to the product of many US soul labels via various means. Some from deals with small US labels (Lenox, Laurie, etc), some via deals with big outfits like Amy / Mala / Bell. Many times, the 45 would have to do well in the US for it to gain a release here (for instance: Chuck Jackson's ANY DAY NOW  -- this escaped in the UK about 3 months after it's US release). But when an act got an established UK profile, their new 45 would gain UK release reasonably quickly after it had escaped in the US (like Lee Dorsey's GET OUT MY LIFE WOMAN and WORKING IN A COAL MINE  -- these were out here around 4 weeks after their US release date).  Back then, it would take a week or so just to get the master tape / US 45 (to be used for dubbing purposes) across to London from the US. Then a decision had to be made if tracks would gain a UK release before the manufacturing process could begin. So, 4 weeks was quite a quick turn-around.

With EMI's global reach, the company used the STATESIDE imprint in many other territories. In all, I believe that Stateside logo 45's escaped in 32+ other countries, just about all of those releases following on from the UK versions.   

Stateside46NZealnd.jpg

EstherPhillipsJapan46.jpg

Stateside46Belgm.jpg

Stateside46Dutch.jpg

Stateside46.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

In 1965, EMI were putting stuff out in the UK plus 45 other countries (see btm of ad below). Don't know if they used the Stateside label in all those countries though. Guess Capitol Records (USA) was one of those foreign country EMI companies, so that's at least one country where there would have been no Stateside label releases. I think they only had the Capitol label in Canada too in the 60's (Cliff Richard 45's -- EMI's biggest British act with an international profile ahead of the Beatles -- had his stuff put out by EMI in Canada on the Capitol label).  

EMI65.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!