Flamingemeralds profile photo

What's the best thing you ever won in a competition?

Posted

After the win of the Fiat 500, I thought I might start this thread. The best thing I ever won was a £9k cruise!  What's the best thing you ever won in a competition?

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I won a weeks holiday  for two in the Republic of Ireland after winning a big fishing match on the Bridgewater canal and when you love Ireland as much as I do it was a fantastic prize.

• Up vote 6

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

The wife in a 'drunken bet' 20 years ago...:wicked: 

• Up vote 9

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest Spain pete profile photo
Posted

Tin of corned beef at the village fete.  , lucky boy am i 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
23 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

She lost the bet.

• Up vote 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
32 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

thats how i won my wife 42 years ago & a bottle of Nukie brown 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just waiting for a cheque for £5m, my winnings from the Nigerian Lottery.  Should arrive any day now as I transferred the £25k admin fee months ago.

• Up vote 16

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

David Ruffin '' The Motown Album Collection'' box set of cds , won in a competition in '' The Basement'' magazine.

Last year i won a prize in a raffle which was a packet of Arrowroot biscuits, which I think had been in somebody.s pantry since the sixties.  

Edited by shinehead
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I’m so unlucky I got a letter from ‘readers digest ‘ to tell me I wasn’t in the draw ! 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

An audio tape off searling on his radio show but it turned up broke in half. A stack of records of neil? who ran keele niters back in the day, after finishing a crossword in his soul fanzine but never received them. Dont enter compos anymore....

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

A medal, sadly only silver, but then the competition was the best the military had at the time, I probably wouldn't be able to see the target at 1000m now let alone hit the darn thing.

• Up vote 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

A Sunday meat raffle at the local boozer mid eighties ! Wonder if pubs still do them ?!! 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
19 minutes ago, The Tempest said:

A Sunday meat raffle at the local boozer mid eighties ! Wonder if pubs still do them ?!! 

That's just reminded me of the time I won the darts or 5,s & 3,s competition in the local pub whilst I was up in Scotland for a weekend fishing competition. Top prize.  A breakfast.  . 1/2 dozens eggs, pack of sausage,  pack of bacon,  tin of beans , tin of tomatoes,  pummet of mushrooms. . Ironically I was staying bed and breakfast at the local hotel,  you couldn't make it up.  

Steve 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

That's just reminded me of the time I won the darts or 5,s & 3,s competition in the local pub whilst I was up in Scotland for a weekend fishing competition. Top prize.  A breakfast.  . 1/2 dozens eggs, pack of sausage,  pack of bacon,  tin of beans , tin of tomatoes,  pummet of mushrooms. . Ironically I was staying bed and breakfast at the local hotel,  you couldn't make it up.  

Steve 

Was that the flat Lorne sausage, specially designed to soak up more grease?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
8 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

Was that the flat Lorne sausage, specially designed to soak up more grease?

No mate. It was a normal pkt, staying at the kenmuir hotel up New  Galloway. Fishing loch Ken 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, chris o said:

An audio tape off searling on his radio show but it turned up broke in half. A stack of records of neil? who ran keele niters 

Clowes

• Thanks 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Signed Liverpool football from the 1976/77 season ... same season we won European Cup ... won on a Golden Goal ticket when I had the ticket which was 1 second out of the winning goal . Stevie Highway scored the first goal in a 3-1 win against Everton at home and you couldn’t wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the season . I slept with that ball knowing who had touched it to write their names ! 

and yes Steve ... I know Man U beat us that year in the FA Cup , but we won the European Cup too . 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest Shufflin profile photo
Posted

I won runner up in a Pontins talent contest!! I think I got a voucher for £5 which was a lot for a kid at the time

Also had a fan article published in that 2000AD sci fi comic in early 80's and got some nice stuff for that too

Can't beat one of my kids though who won a Blue Peter badge for a story they wrote, never forgiven 'em for that due to abject jealousy

Jim never fixed it for me which was a probably a bullet dodged

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I once won a pair of Spencers as First Prize in a Soul Nite Raffle which I was delighted with..... mainly because 2nd prize was Two pairs.

• Up vote 6

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, TattooDave said:

A medal, sadly only silver, but then the competition was the best the military had at the time, I probably wouldn't be able to see the target at 1000m now let alone hit the darn thing.

Bisley?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, stevegods said:

Signed Liverpool football from the 1976/77 season ... same season we won European Cup ... won on a Golden Goal ticket when I had the ticket which was 1 second out of the winning goal . Stevie Highway scored the first goal in a 3-1 win against Everton at home and you couldn’t wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the season . I slept with that ball knowing who had touched it to write their names ! 

and yes Steve ... I know Man U beat us that year in the FA Cup , but we won the European Cup too . 

I know mate. Was there.  Stopped you doing the Holy Trinity.  Ironically I was in Barcelona when we did it. 

Steve 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

When I was about 6 I entered a spot the difference competition in a comic (forget which one probably dandy or beano). Anyway I won a milky bar kid outfit complete with revolver!  Wish I still had it   

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
38 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

Bisley?

Yes, 1979

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Goldfish, died the next day.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest Shufflin profile photo
Posted
27 minutes ago, still diggin said:

Goldfish, died the next day.

true story, kids won a fairground tiny gold fish, the bugger lived for over ten years (15?) started off in a little round bowl and cost a lot of money in unexpected tank upgrades etc, never again

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

1979 - my young sister is at the Convent school (13yrs younger than me) - school fete coming up - parents on holiday in Italy ( Lakes ) - yearly trip to San Mameti  - 10 books of raffle tickets 50p a book - bought the lot as sister is bawling 'mum's' not bought the tickets. Prize draw the following Saturday at the fete - Johnny Briggs - Coronation St. quest star - pulling the tickets - Won the star prize - 1 weeks holiday to Italy - Terracina / Rome / Naples for 2 - Wife was expecting our 1st child so absolute bonus - great trip. Took my mates back to Terracina after going to 1990 World Cup final. 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Got this via a charity raffle at the 2010 Torch Reunion (am I allowed to call it that?). Signed by Major Lance and donated by Paul Donnelly.

To be honest, I didn't have the winning ticket but the girl who did was something to do with the charity and decided I should have it. So it felt like I'd won for once.

- Kev

IMG_20181207_112406.thumb.jpg.f2ed87a5bb4e2f58197b619c85671932.jpg

• Up vote 5

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Bought a raffle ticket via my Son Richard from his School and won First Prize! A £500 Travel Voucher from a local HollidayCompany and i Treated My Son to a Weekend for Two to Disneyland Paris, We had a Fab Time and coincidentally Michael Jackson Made an appearance on the balcony of the Palace And waved to the Anticipating crowd below as rumours had been circulating that he was at the Resort and would make Himself Seen  😁 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Bought a raffle ticket via my Son Richard from his School and won First Prize! A £500 Travel Voucher from a local HollidayCompany and i Treated My Son to a Weekend for Two to Disneyland Paris, We had a Fab Time and coincidentally Michael Jackson Made an appearance on the balcony of the Palace And waved to the Anticipating crowd below as rumours had been circulating that he was at the Resort and would make Himself Seen  😁 

Blimey Rick it's a good job you and your son weren't on the balcony

Micahel.jpg

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Definitely a space 1999 figure, think it may have been Martin landau. In the primary school raffle in about 1977, still buzzing about ut now. 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

A years supply of food for my horse 

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I'm embarrassed to say - I won 4 quid first prize in a dancing competition back in the 80's. The funny thing is, I didn't know the dance comp was on, I just was just jigging about at the back :D

The DJ Dom Basset was the man that gave me da money - A cool dude back then (Dom not me) :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

A bottle of Sherry in a Xmas raffle when I was 16 - drank it at a party on Xmas Eve as none of my mates would touch it. Last thing I remember was lying on the hall floor with my head out the front door being sick and seeing my mate (whose party is was) mom and dads feet walk down the path and ask what was going on!

Xmas day was not fun that year!

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Ain't No Big thing -versions
    Look At Your Box by Mike on Sat 14 Feb 2004
    • 55 / 6360
    • The Yank on 30 Mar 2020
  2. Best Detroit soul album in decades.
    Record Sales by Rob Moss on Sun 29 Mar 2020
    • 2 / 280
    • Petedillon on 30 Mar 2020
  3. Johnnie Mae Matthews ‎– Two Sided Thing (Big Hit)
    Record Wants by Johnny Heist on Fri 20 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 132
    • Johnny Heist on 20 Mar 2020
  4. Dab of Soul Radio-The Very Best In Soul-Listen Here!
    Soul Media by Chris Anderton on Thu 19 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 128
    • Chris Anderton on 19 Mar 2020
  5. compilation covers topic - best of the ...
    Northern Soul Days by Mike on Tue 10 Mar 2020
    • 5 / 386
    • Mike on 15 Mar 2020

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.