flamingemeralds

What's the best thing you ever won in a competition?

32 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

The wife in a 'drunken bet' 20 years ago...:wicked: 

thats how i won my wife 42 years ago & a bottle of Nukie brown 

David Ruffin '' The Motown Album Collection'' box set of cds , won in a competition in '' The Basement'' magazine.

Last year i won a prize in a raffle which was a packet of Arrowroot biscuits, which I think had been in somebody.s pantry since the sixties.  

Edited by shinehead

An audio tape off searling on his radio show but it turned up broke in half. A stack of records of neil? who ran keele niters back in the day, after finishing a crossword in his soul fanzine but never received them. Dont enter compos anymore....

19 minutes ago, The Tempest said:

A Sunday meat raffle at the local boozer mid eighties ! Wonder if pubs still do them ?!! 

That's just reminded me of the time I won the darts or 5,s & 3,s competition in the local pub whilst I was up in Scotland for a weekend fishing competition. Top prize.  A breakfast.  . 1/2 dozens eggs, pack of sausage,  pack of bacon,  tin of beans , tin of tomatoes,  pummet of mushrooms. . Ironically I was staying bed and breakfast at the local hotel,  you couldn't make it up.  

Steve 

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

That's just reminded me of the time I won the darts or 5,s & 3,s competition in the local pub whilst I was up in Scotland for a weekend fishing competition. Top prize.  A breakfast.  . 1/2 dozens eggs, pack of sausage,  pack of bacon,  tin of beans , tin of tomatoes,  pummet of mushrooms. . Ironically I was staying bed and breakfast at the local hotel,  you couldn't make it up.  

Steve 

Was that the flat Lorne sausage, specially designed to soak up more grease?

1 hour ago, chris o said:

An audio tape off searling on his radio show but it turned up broke in half. A stack of records of neil? who ran keele niters 

Clowes

Signed Liverpool football from the 1976/77 season ... same season we won European Cup ... won on a Golden Goal ticket when I had the ticket which was 1 second out of the winning goal . Stevie Highway scored the first goal in a 3-1 win against Everton at home and you couldn’t wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the season . I slept with that ball knowing who had touched it to write their names ! 

and yes Steve ... I know Man U beat us that year in the FA Cup , but we won the European Cup too . 

I won runner up in a Pontins talent contest!! I think I got a voucher for £5 which was a lot for a kid at the time

Also had a fan article published in that 2000AD sci fi comic in early 80's and got some nice stuff for that too

Can't beat one of my kids though who won a Blue Peter badge for a story they wrote, never forgiven 'em for that due to abject jealousy

Jim never fixed it for me which was a probably a bullet dodged

3 hours ago, TattooDave said:

A medal, sadly only silver, but then the competition was the best the military had at the time, I probably wouldn't be able to see the target at 1000m now let alone hit the darn thing.

Bisley?

1 hour ago, stevegods said:

Signed Liverpool football from the 1976/77 season ... same season we won European Cup ... won on a Golden Goal ticket when I had the ticket which was 1 second out of the winning goal . Stevie Highway scored the first goal in a 3-1 win against Everton at home and you couldn’t wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the season . I slept with that ball knowing who had touched it to write their names ! 

and yes Steve ... I know Man U beat us that year in the FA Cup , but we won the European Cup too . 

I know mate. Was there.  Stopped you doing the Holy Trinity.  Ironically I was in Barcelona when we did it. 

Steve 

27 minutes ago, still diggin said:

Goldfish, died the next day.

true story, kids won a fairground tiny gold fish, the bugger lived for over ten years (15?) started off in a little round bowl and cost a lot of money in unexpected tank upgrades etc, never again

1979 - my young sister is at the Convent school (13yrs younger than me) - school fete coming up - parents on holiday in Italy ( Lakes ) - yearly trip to San Mameti  - 10 books of raffle tickets 50p a book - bought the lot as sister is bawling 'mum's' not bought the tickets. Prize draw the following Saturday at the fete - Johnny Briggs - Coronation St. quest star - pulling the tickets - Won the star prize - 1 weeks holiday to Italy - Terracina / Rome / Naples for 2 - Wife was expecting our 1st child so absolute bonus - great trip. Took my mates back to Terracina after going to 1990 World Cup final. 

Bought a raffle ticket via my Son Richard from his School and won First Prize! A £500 Travel Voucher from a local HollidayCompany and i Treated My Son to a Weekend for Two to Disneyland Paris, We had a Fab Time and coincidentally Michael Jackson Made an appearance on the balcony of the Palace And waved to the Anticipating crowd below as rumours had been circulating that he was at the Resort and would make Himself Seen  😁 

3 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Bought a raffle ticket via my Son Richard from his School and won First Prize! A £500 Travel Voucher from a local HollidayCompany and i Treated My Son to a Weekend for Two to Disneyland Paris, We had a Fab Time and coincidentally Michael Jackson Made an appearance on the balcony of the Palace And waved to the Anticipating crowd below as rumours had been circulating that he was at the Resort and would make Himself Seen  😁 

Blimey Rick it's a good job you and your son weren't on the balcony

Micahel.jpg

I'm embarrassed to say - I won 4 quid first prize in a dancing competition back in the 80's. The funny thing is, I didn't know the dance comp was on, I just was just jigging about at the back :D

The DJ Dom Basset was the man that gave me da money - A cool dude back then (Dom not me) :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

A bottle of Sherry in a Xmas raffle when I was 16 - drank it at a party on Xmas Eve as none of my mates would touch it. Last thing I remember was lying on the hall floor with my head out the front door being sick and seeing my mate (whose party is was) mom and dads feet walk down the path and ask what was going on!

Xmas day was not fun that year!

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.