Soulsides

What's Your Audio Setup?

I didn't want to derail the recent record cleaning thread but I was having a discussion with @Stompingsevens who raised an interesting point here.

Quote:

"It constantly  surprises me how much record collectors  spend on records but then buy low end systems". 

I have to say I'm in agreement with this comment as I've often wondered why this seems to happen also,not necessarily with Soul collectors in particular as I've witnessed people into other musical genres sometimes do this where they'll spend an absolute fortune on vinyl but have a pretty modest setup in comparison.

I would be interested to know what type of setups the other members here use to play their wax on as obviously lots of  original Soul records and Northern Soul ones especially aren't exactly cheap to purchase or easy to replace if damaged or lost or you simply want a nicer quality upgraded copy, etcetera. 

Is this really the case when it comes to the Hi Fi equipment  side of things and type of audio folks here use ?

Look forward to your replies on this. 

4 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

I didn't want to derail the recent record cleaning thread but I was having a discussion with @Stompingsevens who raised an interesting point here.

Quote:

"It constantly  surprises me how much record collectors  spend on records but then buy low end systems". 

I have to say I'm in agreement with this comment as I've often wondered why this seems to happen also,not necessarily with Soul collectors in particular as I've witnessed people into other musical genres sometimes do this where they'll spend an absolute fortune on vinyl but have a pretty modest setup in comparison.

I would be interested to know what type of setups the other members here use to play their wax on as obviously lots of  original Soul records and Northern Soul ones especially aren't exactly cheap to purchase or easy to replace if damaged or lost or you simply want a nicer quality upgraded copy, etcetera. 

Is this really the case when it comes to the Hi Fi equipment  side of things and type of audio folks here use ?

I'll start you off. As someone who has not too many expensive bits of vinyl and a collection probably sub 4 figures to be fair, I think my home system isn't too bad:

Yamaha mini hifi as Amplifier stage, twin reloop 2000m turntables (as Technics were way too expensive), cambridge audio floor speakers  and a behringer 2 channel mixer, oh and Chord cables throughout. 

3 hours ago, Soulsides said:

Quote:

If you are talking 45s the only  thing that matters is the deck/stylus/tone arm/weight. Crap ones/settings will screw up the records especially styrene. 

The important bit, stylus to wax is a technics 1210 with a Stanton 500 cartridge at the moment, the rest is a mixture of Yamaha, Onkyo, kenwood and finally the speakers, which are Jamo fitted with JBL drivers and all internal wiring redone in good quality cable.   :)

17 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

If you are talking 45s the only  thing that matters is the deck/stylus/tone arm/weight. Crap ones/settings will screw up the records especially styrene. 

It was more a question of the type of Hi Fi  members here use to play their records as in Technics or other brands as opposed to correct tonearm weights although you obviously made a good point here regarding this..i've witnessed a few people  unknowingly mashing up their vinyl by not having a clue of how to set the tonearm weight on the deck properly.   

Edited by Soulsides

Technics 1210 mk2 deck , shure 44-7 cartridge  ,. Celestion ditton 44 speakers , Technics receiver .As a system is only as good as its weakest link , my next upgrade will be changing the receiver for a decent amp , probably  a  vintage late 70s early 80s  Sansui . Personally , I have found the vintage hi fi gear far superior to anything that may be had in the same price range new . The Celestion Ditton 44 speakers I have are absolutely magic and were made in 1972 .  ,the problem many people may have is convincing the wife / partner or whatever to give them house room as they are bulky and very heavy . 

Edited by carty

Technics SL1210 mk2 (very nice condition with Audio Technica cartridge (I have spare Ortofon concorde but sound is too bright for home set up imo), Cambridge Audio amp, Dali passsive speakers, Chord Company cables (they are excellent)

I've also got a Yamaha separates CD player connected

Vinyl sounds great to my ears but I'm thinking of upgrades soon (apart from the turntable)

48 minutes ago, carty said:

The Celestion Ditton 44 speakers I have are absolutely magic and were made in 1972 .  

I have a pair of, that were very expensive at time, Goodmans speakers that still sound seriously shit hot, when playing vinyl.

For playing 45s I use an Audio Technica LP1240, for ‘Hi-Fi’ listening I use a Michell  Gyrodec. CD player is a Naim CD5 XS, Amplifier is a Naim NAIT XS with a Flatcap (Don’t ask), Speakers are Neat Motive 1. Just got into this streaming malarkey and I run Spotify into a Naim Unitiqute and Naim Muso QB.

No, I don’t work for Naim, but I do like their stuff!

Seens as I've got the attention of audiophiles I've got a set of gemini pt2000 decks. Could someone point me in the right direction as the best general cartridges and needles. Not top end money I'm on a budget but a good safe set up? Also thinking of a new deck for downstairs for around 200? Thanks in advance. 

20 minutes ago, harrogatesoul said:

Seens as I've got the attention of audiophiles I've got a set of gemini pt2000 decks. Could someone point me in the right direction as the best general cartridges and needles. Not top end money I'm on a budget but a good safe set up? Also thinking of a new deck for downstairs for around 200? Thanks in advance. 

is this for hi-fi or dj (even home dj) use? big difference in what I'd recommend, also what kind of budget?

Home / hi-fi use really. To be honest wouldn't know where to start as a budget. £100? As to a new turntable for downstairs approx 200. While I'm at it I'd also have a budget of say another 300 for amp/speakers etc for the downstairs set up. Many thanks! 

22 minutes ago, harrogatesoul said:

Home / hi-fi use really. To be honest wouldn't know where to start as a budget. £100? As to a new turntable for downstairs approx 200. While I'm at it I'd also have a budget of say another 300 for amp/speakers etc for the downstairs set up. Many thanks! 

Upstairs: so you need two hi-fi cartridges for under £100? I'd get the Audio Technica AT95EX, people with high end Linn systems use these, sound is amazing for the price

For downstairs: A new hi-fi turntable for £200 is a challenge really. At that price point avoid used, buy new. Something like the Rega Plana 1 is a good hi-fi choice, with a good amplifier like the Cambridge Audio TOPAZ AM10 plus some Q Acoustics 3020 speakers - all of that is on or around your budget.

Or buy vintage stuff, but be wary of quality and fire safety.

7 hours ago, Soulsides said:

Quote:

go on then what is your set up?

1 hour ago, shufflin said:

Upstairs: so you need two hi-fi cartridges for under £100? I'd get the Audio Technica AT95EX, people with high end Linn systems use these, sound is amazing for the price

For downstairs: A new hi-fi turntable for £200 is a challenge really. At that price point avoid used, buy new. Something like the Rega Plana 1 is a good hi-fi choice, with a good amplifier like the Cambridge Audio TOPAZ AM10 plus some Q Acoustics 3020 speakers - all of that is on or around your budget.

Or buy vintage stuff, but be wary of quality and fire safety.

That's really useful and fantastic advice. Thanks! 

Mono cartridge/ stylus and valve amplifier - it's the way forward. If you are playing mono records on a stereo setup you are losing so much of the information available from the grooves. IMHO that is - it's all subjective!

13 hours ago, shufflin said:

go on then what is your set up?

Ok here goes.

I have all sorts of equipment in my setup some of it is nice and some of it is pretty average but gets the job done for the moment,its not perfect or conventional  by any means  

I sold the vast majority of my vinyl and my main pair of 1210 Technics decks a couple of years ago, I do however still own one of these,a Technics  SL 1200 LTD which is number #77 of the ones which were manufactured. .

1gjeufA.jpg

My main setup is a dual one,because I don't have enough room for two separate rigs..so I'm production based  but still set up for listening purposes too.

Turntable,cd players, tape machines and any other sound devices go into these. 

ptFU43y.jpg

Two Roland SP 404 samplers which are chained together and linked to a Tascam  424 multi track tape recorder with parametric eq settings.

The Roland 404's have all manner of nice features for sound manipulation  including a very cool 'Vinyl Sim'  algorithm which adds some serious weight and clarity to dull or flat sounding recordings and works superbly for beefing up the sound of things like the drums,horns or vocals  on a record,drawing them out into the mix really nicely. 

I was listening to a Funk track a couple of days ago for example and the drums sounded like they had been recorded very poorly with too much background noise but with a bit of carefull E,.Q. and Isolation applied  with a dose of Vinyl Sim the drums sounded like they had been recorded at Capitol Studios by David Axelrod !

Another cool feature  also allows the Importing of audio files from your computer using the included software (Mac/PC) and assign them to the SP-404SX’s pads. WAV and AIFF files are also accepted. 

d224qJZ.jpg 

This then goes into here.

A slightly battered Roland SP-808 Digital Multi track hard disk recorder and sampler equipped with an OP-1 Expansion Board.

With the OP 1 installed you  have the ability to send the audio signal, tracks or mixes to an external DAT recorder, MiniDisc or CDR via co-ax and optical digital outputs, or to another standalone mixer, using the multiple stereo track outputs. 

This is a great way of digitizing a precious vinyl or tape recording as you can play the chosen analogue format into the samplers audio inputs and make a digital copy at the same time,saving your record from the  wear and tear from repeated playbacks.

This sits on top of an Akai S2000 rackmount sampler which is unplugged at the moment because it isn't an Akai  S-950 and never will be.

d8MgUAI.jpg

Finally get here.

QognFXu.jpg

The SP-808 is connected to a Sony JE -520 Mini Disc recorder which is used for the  basic recording of my demos mostly and for monitoring audio levels which are sent to the main amp which is a Pioneer that i've had for 20 years now but I can never remember the model number of but it sounds pretty good for its age and a pair of B&W 600 series speakers. 

The CD  machine on top of the Mini Disc recorder is a Sony CDP- 7F which I've owned since the mid 80 s and still sounds excellent although its not particularly used much at the moment to be honest.

The equipment is guarded by two highly trained, ninja 'Sample Hamsters' sat either side of the cd player..one can't be too careful these days with rogues and scallywags roaming around so precautions must be taken. 

I also have some other bits and  pieces of audio equipment in storage at my mums place which I need to incorporate into to my setup at some point but i'll have to make a bit more space to accommodate it first!

Edited by Soulsides

I’ve got 2 x technics 1200 mk2 equipped with ortofon concorde club mk2, a pioneer djm-400 mixer connected to a NAD c388 receiver. 2 sets of speakers are connected to the receiver as they’re in separate rooms; in one room ive got a pair of dali oberon 7s and in the other room a pair of dynaudio emit m10.

In the parlour I have a Revolver Turntable with Linn Basik tonearm and a Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CD Player connected to a Cambridge Audio A500 Amplifier, with a pair of Mordaunt Short floorstanders.

Totally different in the shed, as It's an A/V setup, with a Sony PX-HS500 Turntable and Onkyo TX-NR686 A/V Receiver and Q Audio 3010 front speakers and Boston Acoustics Soundware AS 5.1 Home Theatre System (five satellites and subwoofer) in a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 configuration.  A/V sources include a Sony PS4 Pro, Sony PS3, Sony UBP-X700 4K Bluray Player, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku Streaming Stick+ and the display is an LG 49" 4K 3D Smart TV or an Epson Full HD 3D projector.

The Sony turntable allows vinyl recording to a PC in High Resolution Audio.  There's also a Cocktail Audio X10 which can rip and store CDs amongst a host of other features.

21 hours ago, Soulsides said:

Evidently. Signs of our consumerist world of obsolescence that led some of us to be lazy. True, I've seen too much of that as well in the world of record collectors. On the other side, Hi-Fi people put all their dollars in their very technically refined (but not musical most of the time) phono gear and have the worst LP's you can dream off. And those "geeky" techs aspects to understand what is better for those like us listening to not so well mastered vintage MONO 45rpm's, in the phono world, is "complicated" to apprehend some. True. So one needs to seek further in the right place.

Yet some definitely gave also up to seek or invest in disregard of those Hi-Fi snobs. With distrust of vintage gear failing down without the will to fix or pay a repair man, believing that technology has made such progress in that field that modern is better and go for the affordable "budget" gear. Sold (by the seller of the month) as sounding good (enough only) with no evolutive potential (only OEM parts can be interchanged), the life expectancy of such gear is questionable at best. If one gets use to such Lo-Fi playback, in our noisy polluted world, this just falls in to the normality of things...

Took me decades to decide to invest more cash in it at different times. I also had to figure out what I was missing or doing wrong accepting that some of my beliefs in understanding where just not right. Finding the right guidances to get my way with my non conventional (not pure vintage nor pure modern) phono set-up, was long coming. My turntable and speakers are "vintage" (1972), I've recapped them and both will beat anything costing 10 times more new. I know they do some crazy new design for speakers but they won't deliver like my vintage Leak 'Sandwiches' do.

On the amplification sides off things on the other hand, I have come to understand and appreciate much more the well build modern circuit amp and preamp for their "clarity" and "neutrality" that the tube/valve pre/amps couldn't reach. Class 'A' amplifier and preamp means dead silent speakers with the volume half way up ! This might sound like nothing but oh no ! This means they will allow to dish a sound that is clear enough to "enlighten" as many details. With the capacity to deliver a wide frequency spectrum, you are sure to get the highs enough that too few amp can actually deliver.

The enjoyment we have out of our records is what should be taken first into account. And I enjoy them better now than ever before. With the right, proper adapted gear. To avoid unwanted wear of our beloved records is far simpler. The record's wear issue due to playback are; bad stylus (even new), over worn stylus, bad cartridge setting (alignement, azimuth), bad tonearm setting impacting the stylus position in the record groove (VTA, VTF, overhang...) and/or simply a case of badly designed turntable all in all. The rest of the phono gear even crappy can never damage a record. Never.

2 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

a pair of Mordaunt Short floorstanders.

I'd like to hear those!

Some years ago I bought a pair of Mordaunt Short smaller,shelf speakers from a store which had them on sale for around £50 and they were awesome things,the bass response and overall sound they possessed was terrific for a relatively small speaker.     

I would also add that I think a lot of collectors buy the records to 'own' them so are not actually too bothered about how good they can potentially sound. I know plenty of collectors who have 'library's' - beautifully filed and presented record collections but rarely listened to. I think a lot of people just like to be able to say they have them. I am slightly guilty of this, I have thousands of LPs that I very rarely listen to anymore as I dig playing 45's and 78's and mixing it all up a bit, I can't remember the last time a played a whole LP. I really need to get rid of them so someone else can enjoy them................!

Having said that, If I am going to spend all this time and energy searching out obscure 45's and 78's, when I do find them I like to be able to listen to them and draw as much information from those grooves as possible so I did invest in a 'high end' system about 20 years ago. All second hand but nice quality and it's been a great investment as I have enjoyed my records so much more over those years. I went Mono and valve and have never looked back!

3 minutes ago, Stompingsevens said:

... so I did invest in a 'high end' system about 20 years ago. All second hand but nice quality and it's been a great investment as I have enjoyed my records so much more over those years. I went Mono and valve and have never looked back!

That's my spirit as well !

On audio forums, we seem to be of the very few to shout about the MONO cartridge somehow. The STEREO-ORIZED hegemony in the audio phonic world seem to have discard the MONO to a sort of inferior music engraving. And so those who have some MONO LP's have on the older receiver a MONO switch that they like to believe do the job... only cross binding the left and right signals still with the stylus signals picking up the unwanted 'vertical' noise from the MONO cut groove. Closer to it is to cross bind the STEREO cartridge 4 outgoing pins to get a 'lateral' signal like some do.

But yet that is still done with a dual core cartridge. So the "evenly" shared sound on both channel might slightly be challenged. The MONO cartridges have a single core. My Denon DL-102 high output moving coil MONO cartridge designed in 1962 (still produced today) for FM broadcast is not for the Hi-Fi guru's and that makes me love it even more. Still I manage to get a 2-D soundstage and digs out enough detail to keep it musical and not too anatical like some other high end cartridge tend to sound I find. And this DL-102 is STEREO compliant so I can play both regardless.

Only drawback of this ultra low compliant cartridge is that it doesn't dig some of the smaller "sharp" warps like higher compliant cartridges can. Since I have added progressively a lot of effective mass to my tonearm for this DL-102 cartridge to develop it's potential to the max, the now extra inertia of the tonearm can't counter such small wave of warps and skips. Now after the PVA glue story, I plan to have a dedicated record flattening table. Through the years I've managed to gather a few nice warped records... And that is even another more risky task in the double or nothing zone.

4 hours ago, Soulsides said:

I'd like to hear those!

Some years ago I bought a pair of Mordaunt Short smaller,shelf speakers from a store which had them on sale for around £50 and they were awesome things,the bass response and overall sound they possessed was terrific for a relatively small speaker.     

They're MS904's, bi-wired and the spikes on the bottom rest on wood screws that I screwed into the floor.  They're in a bay window, so plenty of bass.

b69d4504f5b998855a7505322ba07e7c-480-80.jpg.a3c2b626ffb4e601f881225cc2effd00.jpg

27 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Low end for me I'm afraid.......but there again I'm cheap🤔

Reloop 1000M Player (bit of a technic rip off)

NAD 3120 Amplifier (old version which plays mono)

Wharfdale Diamond Bookcase speakers

reloop.jpg

Wharfdale.jpg

amp and speakers are fine imo, so you are set - I'd just get a different turntable when you can afford it, the Reloop 7000 Mk 2 is probably best new DJ table outside technics, for hi fi turnatble maybe look into a Planar or a vintage model in good nick

4 hours ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Low end for me I'm afraid.......but there again I'm cheap🤔

Reloop 1000M Player (bit of a technic rip off)

NAD 3120 Amplifier (old version which plays mono)

Wharfdale Diamond Bookcase speakers

Those Reloop TT's are build by Hanpin, the same who builds the SL-1200 (NOT, got corrected by other member on here, SL-1200 are build by Panasonic) and many others alike... Hence to similarities ! For that same money second hand there are great TT4s deals to be had and you'd have much much more for your bucks if ever.

Your NAD amplifier lost one channel is that it ? Then it's not MONO, it's only half STEREO ! You can get real MONO by binding the left and right  "hot" connections from your cartridge and the same with your "cold" connections. Then you'll have MONO.

Edited by tlscapital

7 minutes ago, tlscapital said:

Those Reloop TT's are build by Hampin, the same who builds the SL-1200 and many others alike... Hence to similarities ! For that same money second hand there are great TT4s deals to be had and you'd have much much more for your bucks if ever.

Your NAD amplifier lost one channel is that it ? Then it's not MONO, it's only half STEREO ! You can get real MONO by binding the left and right  "hot" connections from your cartridge and the same with your "cold" connections. Then you'll have MONO.

not true, the "Hanpin" are OEM (Chinese), the Technics are Japanese engineered by Panasonic, I would have expected you to know that (unless you are a troll)

i think you misunderstand the quality of the Technics

Hi-Fi set up for me.

Rega Planar 1 turntable and factory fitted cartridge

Rega Fono Mini A2D phono stage

Marantz PM6006 amplifier

Mission 701 speakers on sand-filled Gale stands

Marantz CD6006 CD player and chord interconnects

Interesting read this.

Like a lot of folk I have a mixer (behringer) at home supporting 2 t/tables (1 Technics, 1 Stanton Str8;150 which I like). Again like a lot of folk I dont really ‘need’ 2 t/t or a mixer but I like having a drink and good night playing through all sorts. 

Also have 2 CD players connected up one of which is a pioneer cd recorder but they get little use really. Got some nice Quad speakers and a fairly old ‘budget’ Akai amp that is very robust and has a lot of inputs. So it all suits me fine - I’m no hi-if expert but recently I’ve been wondering about the sound quality and I have a question or two in my mind (aside from is it my hearing changing)

does using a mixer affect sound quality much / a lot / not at all ?

whats wisdom on best cartridges to use - I have ortofon pro s. How many miles are they e is red to do. 

as has been alluded to - how much should be invested in cables (within reason) mine are mainly budget cables and prob 20 years old or so. I’m thinking at Xmas I might take it all apart and replace cables. I only really want to do that if I’m gonna go wow after

I buy buy a fair few new soul / house / jazz etc releases so it’s not exclusively scratchy old 45’s !!

Good thread. Cheers

5 minutes ago, shufflin said:

not true, the "Hanpin" are OEM (Chinese), the Technics are Japanese engineered by Panasonic, I would have expected you to know that (unless you are a troll)

i think you misunderstand the quality of the Technics

Not a troll one bit Sire, and you're right and I am wrong there. Sorry for that. Indeed it's the look-a-likes like AT and so forth that are build at Hanpin. And oh no, I don't misunderstand them Technics qualities. But that's no reason for me to love them now since I got to compare with other gear.

3 minutes ago, neiljon31 said:

Interesting read this.

Like a lot of folk I have a mixer (behringer) at home supporting 2 t/tables (1 Technics, 1 Stanton Str8;150 which I like). Again like a lot of folk I dont really ‘need’ 2 t/t or a mixer but I like having a drink and good night playing through all sorts. 

Also have 2 CD players connected up one of which is a pioneer cd recorder but they get little use really. Got some nice Quad speakers and a fairly old ‘budget’ Akai amp that is very robust and has a lot of inputs. So it all suits me fine - I’m no hi-if expert but recently I’ve been wondering about the sound quality and I have a question or two in my mind (aside from is it my hearing changing)

whats wisdom on best cartridges to use - I have ortofon pro s. How many miles are they e is red to do. 

as has been alluded to - how much should be invested in cables (within reason) mine are mainly budget cables and prob 20 years old or so. I’m thinking at Xmas I might take it all apart and replace cables. I only really want to do that if I’m gonna go wow after

I buy buy a fair few new soul / house / jazz etc releases so it’s not exclusively scratchy old 45’s !!

Good thread. Cheers

cables - Chord Clearway Speaker Cable, £10 per metre bloody amazing and award winners, I have them

pro s - I have these but don't use them for hi-fi use - they are DJ catridges, I recommend AT95EX for home listening (without killing the bank balance)

mixer - they do affect sound - this is my biggest current upgrade concern for the twin deck system - I'm not a pro DJ - like you just want to blend 45's at home, thinking of the Allen and Heath Xone 23

I’ll check out the chord clearway cables ; nice one. New cables sounds like a good first move for me. 

my mixer is a Behringer djx750, does the job for me (and beynd to be honest) it’s come down in price as far as I can tell. I like the ortofons for ease of use mainly, when I first used them I thought the quality was better than the previous I had in. Thanks for the tip on AT95 I’ll take a look.

👍👍

1 hour ago, shufflin said:

amp and speakers are fine imo, so you are set - I'd just get a different turntable when you can afford it, the Reloop 7000 Mk 2 is probably best new DJ table outside technics, for hi fi turnatble maybe look into a Planar or a vintage model in good nick

Only problem with the amp is no Bass adjustment. Speakers are great and I'd recommend - small but powerful

23 minutes ago, neiljon31 said:

Interesting read this.

Good thread. Cheers

Mixers do affect sound. David Mancuso at the loft apparently stopped using mixers when DJing  because of how it affected the sound negatively. Im not sure whether his issue was reduction of sound quality or reduction of sound volume though. And obviously he was extremely obsessed when it came to sonics.

If youre thinking about upgrading Id definately get rid of that behringer mixer. Ive got a pioneer dj mixer which does the job sonically but will upgrade to a rotary mixer in the future. Right now im really into the Varia rdm20 which is a really sexy beast. Good rotary mixers are expensive though.

Im not really a hifi expert but as far as I know audiophiles regularly fail at distinguishing extremely pricey hi end audio cables from cheap lamp cables found at the grocery store in blind tests. With that said audiophiles still spend a fortune at hi end cables because it ”feels good” having thick cables. I usually go for pretty cheap, but not the cheapest, cables.

f youre thinking about upgrading Id definately get rid of that behringer mixer. Ive got a pioneer dj mixer which does the job sonically but will upgrade to a rotary mixer in the future. Right now im really into the Varia rdm20 which is a really sexy beast. Good rotary mixers are expensive though.

How come you don't rate the Behringer, Ive always been pretty happy with it. Had good reviews and rep when i bought it.

Just curious, something I don't know ?

I have two sets up that both run through a Behringer mixer that run active Rokit studio speakers.

The vinyl side is 2 x 'pimped up' 1210's that also has a twin American Audio 2 x remote cd's. The other side is a Traktor S4 Mk2 and laptop/external hard drive for playing about with digital recordings.

Linking this to the laptop too, means I can play youtube, radio shows etc through this set up too  

Edited by tsu tomatoes

1 hour ago, tsu tomatoes said:

Rokit studio speakers.

I’ve got a pair of Yamaha HS5 active studio monitors. I use them for music production but have used them with decks and they sounded great. Would I buy an amplifier again? No

Edited by autumnstoned

3 hours ago, neiljon31 said:

f youre thinking about upgrading Id definately get rid of that behringer mixer. Ive got a pioneer dj mixer which does the job sonically but will upgrade to a rotary mixer in the future. Right now im really into the Varia rdm20 which is a really sexy beast. Good rotary mixers are expensive though.

How come you don't rate the Behringer, Ive always been pretty happy with it. Had good reviews and rep when i bought it.

Just curious, something I don't know ?

Actually don't listen to me, I was just having a couple of beers and hating a bit on behringer. I'm sure most behringer mixers sounds great. They obviously make pretty cheap products but from what I've heard they usually offer a lot of bang for the buck and is probably a wise choice for most people in need of a dj mixer. 

My opinion on audio cables is still the same though. 😃

A bit off topic but if anyone's interested; here's a 40 minute lecture with Alex Rosner. He was a pioneer in sound system design in the late 60s and 70s. I found the lecture extremely interesting when I watched it. 

Edited by Babinski

On 10/12/2018 at 12:43, tlscapital said:

On the other side, Hi-Fi people put all their dollars in their very technically refined (but not musical most of the time) phono gear and have the worst LP's you can dream off.

So true ! In France we call them idiophiles, a word play as idiot = stupid. All they think about is improve their installation, it's just an endless and ruinous situation.

Collecting only LP's (I know, shame on me ! ) I'm an armchair listener and I'm very happy with my system : Thorens TD 145 MKII, Musical Fidelity B200 and Jean-Marie Reynaud speakers.

I agree so much with all of this. I have visited a few of the big record dealers that we all know very well and I am staggered by some of the crap cheap turntables that they play their very expensive records on. When will they learn that these £100-200 decks, especially the USB ones with crap tone arms and cartridges that have never been set up properly are destroying their records!

On 11/12/2018 at 21:46, Babinski said:

A bit off topic but if anyone's interested; here's a 40 minute lecture with Alex Rosner. He was a pioneer in sound system design in the late 60s and 70s. I found the lecture extremely interesting when I watched it. 

I can also confirm having just watched it, that this video is very interesting. Thanks to the member who gave the tip.

I was tempted to start a new thread for these two questions but let's see how it goes here first of all.

Question 1: I have used Stanton 500/5100's for a shade under 30 years since I bought my first pair of 1200/1210's. I have cued and back spun tracks during that time, tens of thousands of times and never once with those styli have endured a cue burn on a standard vinyl record. [A few shellacs have suffered though]. 

In the early 2000's I bought another pair of 1200/1210's from a friend, on which there were Stanton 6800's. The sound of these 6800 cartridges is really poor especially the depth of bass, not even remotely to the standard of the 500's. Rather than have them sitting idle and let's face it I had to try them at some point, I started using them at home and immediate suffered cue burn on several records, since when I've only used them for records I don't need to precisely cue or mix. I did an experiment this morning with an unwanted record, cuing it back quite promptly and watched the reaction of the two different models of stylus. The 6800 bent alarmingly towards the inside of the groove, whereas the 500 stayed perfectly straight to the human eye, which has made me raise the question as follows: 

Has anyone else had experience of this whereby different styli have ripped up the inner side of the groove this same way? 

Question 2: Stanton stopped making the 500/5100 styli some years ago. There are non-Stanton replacements readily available. For those of you who have bought these, what are your opinions of them please? Any cue burn issues when mixing? Are non-original manufacturer produced styli normally of the same standard?

Thanks, Martin

2 hours ago, Martin S said:

I was tempted to start a new thread for these two questions but let's see how it goes here first of all.

Question 2: Stanton stopped making the 500/5100 styli some years ago. There are non-Stanton replacements readily available. For those of you who have bought these, what are your opinions of them please? Any cue burn issues when mixing? Are non-original manufacturer produced styli normally of the same standard?

Thanks, Martin

Hi Martin, replacement stylus can sometimes even be an improvement ! A classic manufacturer that has a reliable reputation for decades is 'Jico' in Japan https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?products_id=1746. I have bought the '500' for a friend and he is happy with his playback.

Mind you, these are 'bonded' stylus. Higher end cartridge are 'nude'. Nude means that the diamond stylus longer body is directly incorporated into the cantilever. Where bonded are shorter diamond glued onto an alloy support fixed in the alloy cantilever. Shorter life span. Original '500' nude or not ?...

Mind you one 'Jico' importer 'Thakker' (if he support the model you need) based in Germany should be a better option to skip import duties and higher shipping fares. I don't know that specific DJ model but it can take up to 7 grams for VTA !!! You might want to inquire online with both of them.

This means that with this generic 'Jico' DJ model as well that your SL-1200 tonearms (of medium effective mass) should benefit of some extra mass (higher inertia for te lower compliant cantilever of that DJ stylus) with some coins on the headshell and the extra counterweights to balance. 

Edited by tlscapital

11 hours ago, tlscapital said:

with some coins on the headshell and the extra counterweights to balance

is it not just better to get some Ortofon Concorde cartridges like every one else with 1200's?

10 hours ago, shufflin said:

is it not just better to get some Ortofon Concorde cartridges like every one else with 1200's?

Definitely not for me. To get something descent in the 'Concorde' range (never liked them to be very honest), one has to go in the upper range and squash them down with the (the very average SL-1200 tonearm) counterweight to the max (B-boys have understood that)... To then I reckon admit-able result of groove retrieval. But to what effect to the record groove and stylus ? Not my scene. And I respect those who stick to the SL-1200's.

Imagine to cross bridge the channels (how one does that to the enclosed body of a 'Concorde' cartridge ?) of such better build cart like a Stanton '500' to convert it into a "fake" MONO by crossing the + and - pin's cartridge fitted with a replacement 'DJ' Jico large elliptical (conical would be better) stylus that can take high VTF (while adding crucial mass to the tonearm) to dig the best out of those old 45's groove... Ear bliss !

A bit like why for soul music don't you go for James Brown like every one else ? Because if one loves soul, one goes further and for the better ! Just like for those "DJ" designed and branded mainstream phono gear that are never made for the lovers of vintage MONO records. With only few newly made affordable large conical tip low compliant (still MM though) cartridges trying merely to meet that...

I use to have a second hand SL-1200 home for 10 years before Y2K then swapped for a Stanton STR 8-100 (much better looking only tonearm not as average- tired of the SL-1200 hype (already) and looks. So I acknowledge their merit (fully automatic, strong torque and minimal maintenance and adjustments) even though I am not sure those two lasts bonuses to be on the benefit sides of things seing how bad mosts do even only that...

When I must do a DJ spot, those SL-1200 & Co. are never even adjusted properly (VTA, VTF, AS...) when I hit the deck. Their "friendly users" features have turned the benefit of that into lazy carefulness of "DJ" fame wanna be no-brainers. And when I explain that I use to have that home to lately have swap for a vintage belt drive turntable and tonearm that I have tweaked to get the most out of my vintage MONO 45's; it's disbelief !

The weird thing with those SL-1200 turntable is sometimes like the worst football team; their hooligans ! I warned on the previous/original thread that the SL-1200 subject was a "sensitive" one ! To have witnessed that on audio-forums where all the fanatics of other driven turntables like belts or idlers do accept easily that some dislike or don't want such turntables, the SL-1200's pros hardly can accept that anyone dislikes them.

But they rule. True ! Even more so after their over expensive resurection. The hegemony of those come close to commercial dictatorship where PHONO records (now that the term has been ripped-off) are "hip" again like a Rolex watch. For what is worth, the last over/over expensive 'GR' models have even more dampening (sound signature more muffled !!!) and an even lighter mass tonearm... I am at the opposite !

Edited by tlscapital

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.