Martin S profile photo

Jazz Fusion & Related Artists At Work

Freebasing Martin S

Posted (edited)

I'd like to introduce you to the following artists, hopefully most will be new to you. Please do not post artists that are already very widely known if you add to this thread. We can all access videos of artists such as Herbie Hancock or Weather Report at will, so no need for them here. 

Vinyl/CD recordings are not to be posted here. 

Not forgetting the other members playing in each band of course, first we have drummer Jung Kwon Hwang, a musician there seems to be hardly any easily accessible information about on the net. Perhaps this is because what is out there is not written in English text. If you study intensely what he's doing in the first video, it appears effortless yet the variation in the styles and tempos in this track are numerous. Drumming at it's finest. 

In the second video we see the same drummer again but the focus is on the guitarist Jin Soo. This track has a very strong late 70's/early 80's Kazumi Watanabe feel to it. The main riff blows me away.  

Here's Brazilian bass player Pipoquina, just 11 years old at the time the video was shot yet who would doubt this being Marcus Miller?

Next up we have Polish bassist Wojtek Pilichowski. The first clip is not great quality as it's been recorded at a guitar exhibition in Birmingham, but I posted it as this was the first ever video I saw of him which got me hooked. There are countless videos of his band on Youtube so check them out although he can be rocky at times. I have placed the absolute best track of his imo below the guitar exhibition video, it's fusion and I rate the track on a par with The Pursuit Of Accidents.

The final video includes two very familiar names in amongst the four, but in an unusual surrounding hence it's inclusion partly in place of 2 videos I had originally hoped to upload to this thread which had been removed from Youtube. Enjoy.

Edited by Martin S
  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

moved to freebasing as more suited for such 'loose' related topics

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Mind blowing recent upload from Wojtek for any fellow bass players out there. How the hell has he played those two chords at 1.11 and 1.17?

soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, Martin S said:

How the hell has he played those two chords at 1.11 and 1.17?

This sounds like a case for 'Ricky Simon', A.K.A. the Soul Source resident Bass expert!...  

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Drummer is Dennis Bradford who was part of The Jeff Lorber Fusion. I don't know who the other musicians are.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/450565-Dennis-Bradford

Edited by Martin S

soul source url
Posted (edited)

This guy is a wonderful player but talks too much, hence the video should start from the desired spot. Not often I'd use the word beautiful to describe a piece of music, but it's unavoidable here.

Edited by Martin S
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Nice!

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.