Selling Again

Peter99

Hi All

I'm short of cash, and thinking of selling my very, very humble collection. The problem is that I haven't a clue what I've got, and cant be arsed going through them. So, any genuine ideas on how I may approach this - or should I just give up and keep them.

Serious replies please.

Pete

Social source share

Hi Peter,

If you need cash, I'd say sell as a job lot as recommended by Steve - Not sure of the percentage loss, but I guess you would get 60% of the value, and I believe Chris is a trustworthy guy.

Funnily enough, I don't 'need need' the cash, but lately I have been thinking of having a bit of a clear out to fund a holiday to America for my family. It just seems silly that I could do that in exchange for a handful of plastic.

If I do choose a few, they will be 'priced not to sell' though - Who knows what certain records are really worth? 

Best of luck in raising some funds mate.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - What's with the "Serious replies please" ? I found that extremely hard to deal with :D

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Peter.  Good afternoon :hatsoff2:Get in touch with Chris Anderton on here or via his website Midas touch 

He's a genuine guy with a true passion for soul music and he's one of the few guys who pay for your collection there and then, not when the records have been sold on. And he will call at your house. Highly recommended mate. 

Steve 

Thanks Steve

I know Chris from his radio shows and his presence on here.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I sold most of my records as a job lot about 2 months ago, I got about 50% of value, I don’t need the cash but they were just sat there collecting dust, I only collect LP’s so at the time it was a no brainer , but as soon as they went, I went into a state of mourning, I actually had a feeling of loss, it was terrible,  but now I’ve got over it and a mint copy of skull snaps sits proudly on my shelf and a few  more beauties are in there way and a few quid in the bank.... Phil 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Try putting the best bits on Soul Source. That way, they will find a good home and you may achieve a better price, particularly if meeting the needs of someone’s wants list.

Plenty of other dealers would appraise them but might be inclined to ‘cherry pick’ and leave you with the harder-to-move-on stuff. Maybe better therefore to sell as one job-lot but only receive 50-60% of full value.

That said, I would advise you not to sell, or just sell your least favourite records if you really have to. It’s easier to get the money somehow than it is to replace your treasures. Most serious collectors will tell you they regret selling such-and-such a record and wish they hadn’t.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I think the 'can't be arsed going through them' is a big mistake. If you spend a few hours (granted I'm not aware of the numbers you have) actually writing down a list of records and labels, once it's done it's done, the list is there and you can easily provide details/research prices on what you have. You may find that you have big ticket items you hadn't realised the value of, some cheapies from way back are now in demand at much higher prices.

Just makes it easier all round. Plus those certain items that get the dealers/collectors salivating will mean you stand a better chance of selling as a job lot for a decent price.

I think selling is a good idea because the current prices/demand isn't gonna last much longer in my opinion.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 11/12/2018 at 20:59, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I think selling is a good idea because the current prices/demand isn't gonna last much longer in my opinion.

I thought that about 2001 - but prices have gone up massively since then. So who knows where prices will end up?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

sold mine 18 months ago for family reasons those who know me know why, sold them all in a job lot to Les at king bee in chrolton(whom i have know for a long time) he was very fair. yes i probably could have got more if sold private but would have taken a long time. i did sell a lot of the very rare in demand type stuff before. but as i tended to buy obscure and underplayed or stuff i had never heard before it would have been a tough sell to a mainstream dealer. Les is good because he also collects and i know quite a few have ended up in his collection. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!