first three records to start a set

Nitram

Guest Shufflin
On 13/12/2018 at 10:03, Soulsides said:

One of the main issues I take with certain DJ's (or people who like to call themselves one) is often their inability to mix with cohesiveness

been to too many events where DJ plays a record which fills the floor, then plays something too obscure and floor empties, just inability to read the mood of the crowd

Social source share

2 hours ago, mark w said:

Mello Souls demo is a revelation...never knew demos existed. Tidy!

The label design is same as the new York mello label which was a doo wop label :O ?? Also a mello label from medford massachusettes with same design  not seen a mello souls demo  as far as I'm aware there all issues and we all know who owns them

Edited by speedlimit
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

Mello Souls...guess you had to be there when it was first played, proper amphetasoul.  The intro just grabs you by the bollox and pulls you to the floor.  Proper all-nighter record!  Still think of it as Butch's Del-larks

You're dead right Chalky - exactly as I feel too TBH, it was such a great moment when you'd travelled to wherever Butch was on and you heard the sound of The Supremes - You Keep Me Hangin' On firing up from the system *Boom*

Maybe this instead - just for you (do carvers fall under O.V.O. definitions?)

DeeDee.jpg

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, eddiefoster said:

You're dead right Chalky - exactly as I feel too TBH, it was such a great moment when you'd travelled to wherever Butch was on and you heard the sound of The Supremes - You Keep Me Hangin' On firing up from the system *Boom*

Maybe this instead - just for you (do carvers fall under O.V.O. definitions?)

Never seen a demo before mate, nice

Social source share

On 14/12/2018 at 13:50, tomangoes said:

I'd have left by the peace speech section.

On the other hand if this was played instead... I could have stayed!

Ed

😁 Each to their own, that’s a good one too though... to be fair the OP didn’t specify a northern soul night so you probably wouldn’t have been there in the first place!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 14/12/2018 at 20:24, eric catchpole said:

Just talking to my wife Jayne and she said we came over to one of your do's many years ago in Wellingborough she said Mick Smith was djing.

Great stuff - That was a very busy night, so much so, Nicola Anderson volunteered to help the panic behind the bar! Butch was also on that night (Not to take anything away from Mick also attracting the crowds of course) :wink:

The Embankment Club has now been condemned - It worked so well because it had a low ceiling and it was DARK (The music weren't bad either) 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, LEN said:

Second sentence - It depends where you're DJing. But often during the 80s / 90s DJs would 'underline' their set with a slowie. Colin Law finished his set at Life-line with 'The Four Tops - Ask The Lonely' which worked fine, and was appreciated.

I agree with Len & know a dj who usually(always?) finishes with marvin gaye come get to this - Great!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

40 minutes ago, monny1916 said:

whenever you walk in any venue nite or niter the unknown is the thing that pulls the hairs on the back of our necks

Was for everyone at one time, but not the majority nowadays - A large percentage of people now want familiar sounds, then some of those people are comfortable with unfamiliar sounds if played 'in there somewhere'.

DJing nowadays can be a ble*ding mine-field :wink:

All the best,

Social source share

6 hours ago, LEN said:

First sentence - I agree (Although your sentence is a question) :huh: I know some think DJ to DJ should be a seamless transformation, but I prefer the complete opposite. New DJ = New Chapter!

Second sentence - It depends where you're DJing. But often during the 80s / 90s DJs would 'underline' their set with a slowie. Colin Law finished his set at Life-line with 'The Four Tops - Ask The Lonely' which worked fine, and was appreciated.

This practice is alien to some, so if not seen before can be a bit of a shock.

All the best,

I didn't mean to infer it shouldn't be mid tempo at the end of a set... More it doesn't have to be, which I think someone suggested earlier in the thread, 

Me personally would prefer not to take any chances with a final record, god forbid the floor half empties and the next DJ instantly has em running to it lol 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Pete Eccles said:

I didn't mean to infer it shouldn't be mid tempo at the end of a set... More it doesn't have to be, which I think someone suggested earlier in the thread, 

Me personally would prefer not to take any chances with a final record, god forbid the floor half empties and the next DJ instantly has em running to it lol 

It might have been me who suggested a change in tempo at the end of a set. Of course, it doesn’t have to be a mid-tempo sound to close a set, but after a few fast and furious records, something like Bob and Fred ‘I’ll Be On My Way’ or Johnnnie Mae Matthews ’I Have No Choice’ goes down well, fills the floor, builds the atmosphere, allows for some hand-clapping, gives the dancers a chance to applaud and helps the next DJ cue up a hjgh-impact sound.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, Pete Eccles said:

He he - One DJ before me asked......."Len, do you want me to clear the floor? Saves you doing it mate".........."Yes please".........And he did! Hilarious, and made my job that bit easier :D

• Up vote 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

It might have been me who suggested a change in tempo at the end of a set. Of course, it doesn’t have to be a mid-tempo sound to close a set, but after a few fast and furious records, something like Bob and Fred ‘I’ll Be On My Way’ or Johnnnie Mae Matthews ’I Have No Choice’ goes down well, fills the floor, builds the atmosphere, allows for some hand-clapping, gives the dancers a chance to applaud and helps the next DJ cue up a hjgh-impact sound.

Well put. 

Although I have gone the other way, and finish most of my sets with 'The Dells - It's All Up To You' (If anyone is still in the room that is) :D It leaves a 'feel good factor', and is of course in contrast to the Mid-tempo bits 'n' pieces I like to play during my set.

Hey it's Monday morning - Have a good day guyz!

'The Dells - It's All Up To You'

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Ted Massey said:

The next 2 following on from my previous post and with the vibe of the nigther theses were just perfect the dance floor response was fantastic

Sir Joe Everyday Rujac

Sir Joe Nobody beats my love Rujac 

Hi Ted, any chance of 'nobody beats my love' or even better (for me) the other side 'if you give up your love' - southampton new years eve ? thks.

Edited by bbrich
mistyped.
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Why talk about the first 3 they should be good anyway as well as the next 22 the whole hour should be good start to finish or that should be the aim to entertain the crowd and take them on a journey of musical delight away from reality just like it was when you first started out on the Soul highway of life , There is far to much of stop, start, good record bad record no flow to a set killing the vibe, The music should set the pace The DJ should be good at driving the course I'm afraid a great many DJ,s can't do that , They might have a few good records, but they lack skills in building atmosphere and reading a crowd, It becomes all about them at the expense of the SOULIES. The whole Scene needs a reality check to get it back on course. You can't always make it perfect but you could make it much better than it is if people faced up to Reality. The Music is fantastic And I mean proper Soul music  it's the people involved in delivering it what,s the let down

A very Happy and Soulful Christmas

Mick L

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Although some posters have said they use the same record (or even all three) to always open their set, which i actually find quite surprising. Unless i have misread the thread i think most posters are just giving a (recent) example of their first three (which most? actually decide on at the time).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 minutes ago, bbrich said:

Although some posters have said they use the same record (or even all three) to always open their set, which i actually find quite surprising. Unless i have misread the thread i think most posters are just giving a (recent) example of their first three (which most? actually decide on at the time).

Yes I think the general question is - What first three records would you choose to play in any given set? 

Naturally some share an example of what they have used in the past. I don't think many use the same three, although (as mentioned) some who don't DJ that regularly may do so. It wouldn't be noticeable as it would if someone did the same thing on a regular basis - That would lose something pretty sharpish! 

Len :thumbsup:,

Social source share

Never yet in 50yrs of DJ'ing managed to get to the 3rd sound without changing my mind and going in a different direction. Starting back in 68 at our school lunchtime disco and 70 at our local soul club, well actually it wasn't but Kev Hall and myself turned it into one. Being open 5 nights a week came as a double edged sword - Weds - Thurs - allowed slow nights to break stuff - Eddie Ernie / Professionals /  George Blackwell / Steinways / Natural Four / Vel-Vets to name but a few but always the commercial pressure from the management to keep the floor going - Unknowns tolerated  as long moans from punters kept to a couple a night  but 1st 3 was a moving feast dependent on what was in the box that night / week / month / year / decade / venue - remember back then we were not contemplating 50 yr. longevity for any sound - Who would of thought nearly 50 yrs on the latter 5 from above would still be dancefloor killers and big-ticket items, although Eddie & Ernie still sounds fantastic to me ( got me suspended from school in early 1972 for bunking off and driving to Contempo / Blue & Soul office in Soho to raid there record cupboard )

Different view following Tim Brown at Wilton - he kicked off with Ray Agee - shit that's one I can't play - but thankfully that was the only one he played that I had in my box as opposed to headlining at the Embankment where the chances of being gazumped were much reduced.

Taking the 'big box'  (figuratively - only 100 sounds ) to Thringstone next Sat 22nd - got a good idea what's on offer but taking numerous pieces this time that I've left at home before so will respond to others play lists / crowd in and running order with live act on as well - SO could be Shorty Long / Jimmy Fraser / Fi-dels or Nolan Chance / Ringleaders / Showmen or Exceptions / August Moon/ Mel Williams ( Buddah ) or Ivories / Sam Dees / Ascots or probably none of them - it will be a combination throughout the night - unlikely to be many total obscurities to the initiated but defo for the locals - but were getting there.

Why don't we all report back after Christmas with where we were, what we played and how it went.

Have a great soulful / successful Christmas

Steve

• Up vote 2
Social source share

first three records to start a set

Tennis is tough enough without music being played in the background, that said if I had to select 3 before getting underway I'd make sure they were ideal titles for the occasion:

One Way - Serving it, Mantronix - Baseline, Kurtis Blow - Deuce

Edited by Guest
Social source share

12 minutes ago, chalky said:

Always enjoyed the more spontaneous sets rather than something that has had some planning.....go with the flow as they say

Exactly mate. I never planned anything until I got on stage then it would be the 1st record that I played just to compliment the last record from the previous set ,then went with what the mood of the place took me obviously flowing from one to the next never 100 mph to mid tempo , slowly but surely up or down or whatever way the dancing dictated. Sometimes 100 mph full set, sometimes 70,s sometimes mid tempo,  more often than not a cross the board set but always dance floor dictated 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:
32 minutes ago, chalky said:

Always enjoyed the more spontaneous sets rather than something that has had some planning.....go with the flow as they say

Exactly mate. I never planned anything until I got on stage then it would be the 1st record that I played just to compliment the last record from the previous set ,then went with what the mood of the place took me obviously flowing from one to the next never 100 mph to mid tempo , slowly but surely up or down or whatever way the dancing dictated. Sometimes 100 mph full set, sometimes 70,s sometimes mid tempo,  more often than not a cross the board set but always dance floor dictated 

Steve 

Pretty much agree, although unless you take your whole collection with you (surely impractical if not impossible for most)  there must have been an element of planning.

Edited by bbrich
added a bit
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, bbrich said:

Pretty much agree, although unless you take your whole collection with you (surely impractical if not impossible for most)  there must have been an element of planning.

I’d select records I thought appropriate for the night, other than not that much planning.  I usually took a 200 box and chose from them.  Yes there was some that definately would be played but no thought went into the order. 

Social source share

Fascinating thread...

Reminds me of a conversation at The Embassy club. Bernard Manning was describing his days as MC of 'The Comedians' because it went out on TV the list of gags had to be presented beforehand. Manning would see the others gags and then tell those same gags in his opening slot, thereby seriously throwing the other comics, genius!

So DJs who don't have a setlist, how does everyone know what has and hasn't been played earlier? Or what is planned by the big names later? What happens if a DJ turns up and plays all the headline DJs' heavy hitters? Do DJs ever sit through the whole event taking notes of what has and hasn't been played and tailor their own set accordingly?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

30 minutes ago, bbrich said:

I normally took a 300 box with a bit of everything alphabetically.  I.e. grabbing the front A same from B etc, then next time grabbing middle of the A, B and so on . Seemed to work for me.  I was lucky enough to be able to get / buy records that I liked above all else so I did have a idea what was going into the box from knowing what i owned. Never bought a record that I didn't like or never played one that I wouldn't dance to myself 

Steve  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Fascinating thread...

Reminds me of a conversation at The Embassy club. Bernard Manning was describing his days as MC of 'The Comedians' because it went out on TV the list of gags had to be presented beforehand. Manning would see the others gags and then tell those same gags in his opening slot, thereby seriously throwing the other comics, genius!

So DJs who don't have a setlist, how does everyone know what has and hasn't been played earlier? Or what is planned by the big names later? What happens if a DJ turns up and plays all the headline DJs' heavy hitters? Do DJs ever sit through the whole event taking notes of what has and hasn't been played and tailor their own set accordingly?

Always get to the venue early so as to make a mental note of what they play before you.  Unless your DJ at soul night then nighter. Always time for mischievous behaviour when that happens.  Stand on stage then just as the DJ about to play a record,  tell him it's been played before he got there. Priceless when you tell him it hasn't after he's spent ten seconds panicking about what to play when he only has 8 seconds to pick something else. 

Steve 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I admire anyone who can DJ 'off the cuff', and have to say I'm slightly envious. I am capable of it, and have done so, but found it exhausting, especially trying to 'work' when there's 5 people (taller than me) behind the decks talking BL*ODY RECORDS! :dash2::D

I do usually end up changing what I have planned though, dramatically sometimes, so I suppose my type of planning just gives me a foundation to build on.

'Good comedy is a very serious business' :wink:

P.s - Sean Chapman makes a point of writing tunes down so he doesn't repeat them in his sets - Hard worker is Sean, but s*d that, does it really matter if a tune is played twice? 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!