first three records to start a set

Nitram

7 minutes ago, chalky said:

I’ve always gone by the rule you don’t pay something another DJ who is on discovered, not that I really had to worry about that too much 😂

Or if someone is 'championing' a certain tune (Maybe blown the dust off one) If they have put the thought behind it, I think that should be respected really, or that resurgence of said tune gets stopped in it's tracks somehow.

Len :thumbsup: 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, JulianB said:

I once DJ'd with a well known couple😉 one half of whom asked me what I was thinking of playing after them.

I mentioned half a dozen and yes, you've guessed correctly, they played all of them! I couldn't dance for rolling about laughing - brilliant night🤣

Julian.  can guess who they where and knowing there sense of humour like you do, deliberate mischief  springs to mind. 

Steve 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Julian.  can guess who they where and knowing there sense of humour like you do, deliberate mischief  springs to mind. 

Steve 

There's the difference, a great laugh had by all concerned - Rather than 'cloak and dagger' goings on :wink:

Pssst - What was Julian going to play? :D

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Hi all,

I enjoy reading your posts and thought its about time I added something. Only been DJing a couple of years and at a recent evening I was first on as usual and went for these 3 first. The Pageants Are you ever coming home, The Drifters If you don't come back, Ola V Harper I wanna weep. 

Earlier there was a post saying that if 3 demo or promos were put on instead of issues they and possibly the floor would walk out. Don't really understand why I thought if they were meant for DJs and some tunes never got issued anyway ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Soul Spinner said:

Earlier there was a post saying that if 3 demo or promos were put on instead of issues they and possibly the floor would walk out. Don't really understand why I thought if they were meant for DJs and some tunes never got issued anyway ?

Nice choices. Hope you're enjoying the journey behind them turntables.  

Rule No 1 . Never try to understand people on here

We all have weird senses of humour  ..... sick in most cases . Just nod your head and agree / disagree which ever way , they won't know the difference but don't take the comments to heart because there's always someone winding up something or other. But enjoy your self 

Rule No 2. Repeat rule No 1

Steve 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 15/12/2018 at 14:56, MGM 1251 said:

the  Johnny Rodgers is an absolute corker...always loved that one....what’s going rate for it these days...?

It goes for about £2,000.00, but that depends on how much someone wants it of course - Could be more on a good day, as it's not up for sale that often.

All the best,

• Thanks 1
Social source share

54 minutes ago, LEN said:

It goes for about £2,000.00, but that depends on how much someone wants it of course - Could be more on a good day, as it's not up for sale that often.

All the best,

I understand you have one of these Len....and that you are thinking of pruning your collection to make way for that family holiday....:wicked:....:D....

Social source share

2 hours ago, MGM 1251 said:

I understand you have one of these Len....and that you are thinking of pruning your collection to make way for that family holiday....:wicked:....:D....

Ha ha - I was gonna mention that, but thought it crass to do so :D

Ok, just to touch upon that for a second - I'm gonna take a looksee over the Christmas period, and as you say, I may have a 'prune' (word!) The only slight snag, is that some will be priced 'not' to sell - If I get good money then I may part with something / If I don't, I'll keep it. 

I'm not one to take advantage, but if someone comes along that really wants an item and can afford to go a bit (what may be seen as) high end price-wise, then everyone's happy - I get a good chunk towards America / The buyer gets his want!

PM me on this if you want mate, although I'm still not 100% sure what I'm gonna let go.

Anyway - Back to first 3 records! :wink:

All the best,

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

If you start off with this

You better have a great box full of tunes to follow..

For most folks this would be the crescendo period in a spot!

Ed

No, it's all down hill from there on in for me :D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Sounds being played multi times a night was the staple diet back in the early 70's and only fell into disrepute as the library of sounds discovered increased almost beyond belief. The comment ' everything's been discovered ' was often heard even in the early 70's, in fact probably more so only for us to realise that there appeared to be an unlimited source out there. There will be gigs this Christmas which will bring out the crowd that still thinks it all ended in 74 and 1st 3's will be doctored  accordingly - my local crowd do not remember me banging out Professionals/George Blackwell / Vel-vets in 72 but they do remember Determination/Here I go again/I've got something good - so who are you playing for - yourself or the paying punters.

I used to be vilified by the Notts mafia ( they know who they are ) at the Brit in the 90's for playing 'all that rare shit' - Milton James / Tempos / Eddie Whitehead / Ray Agee / Timmie Williams - whilst being ignored for playing Jimmy Mack / Peoples Choice / Volumes / Masqueraders and positively lauded for playing 7day fool / our love will grow / He's all I got - So all the 'rare shit' went to Chaddy/ Kenny and the Willinghams by 97

So this Christmas the  1st three will be to hook the floor - still not decided what they will be - follow on sounds to hopefully continue this - even less idea what they will be and continue to a triumphant climax with a packed floor - absolutely no idea what they will be - well I do but telling would open my spot up to being compromised by earlier DJ's 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I have only ever done a few spots normally after my son has arranged it without me knowing.  At rugby in Sept I started with

Bobby valentine use it before you lose it

Harvey Laverne dozen never learned to dance 

Constellations I didn't know how 

And later in the spot I played Mac Staten there she goes then the ojays working on your case which kept people dancing so it goes to show cheaper records can be just as good.

But I didn't plan what to play just watched the 1st 2 dis to see what people danced to.   

Edited by Greedy Mick
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

11 minutes ago, LEN said:

Better in lots of cases - I buy by my ear :wink:

All the best,

Many thanks.  I only ever buy records I like and I would never play anything I wouldn't dance to myself, so I can sort of say I'm playing from my soul. Excuse the bad joke im sat here bored as I broke 2 ribs earlier and I can't do anything lol

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Last nights first 3

Wings Wonderful Christmas Time (Played at the pub the video was filmed at) 

Hey Mr DJ Bobby Moore & the Rhythm Aces

Ain't there something that money can't buy Young Holt Trio

Hard going playing to the wrong small crowd but they did enjoy the first track knowing the history obviously...

Social source share

@Martin S  The Producers is "69 release.

Was their last 45 after releasing  one on Arctic as The Floaters. 

They also Backed Kenny Gamble as The Romeos on a couple of releases on Arctic and one on Atco. Group members were Kenny Gamble, Thom Bell, Leon Huff, Winnie Wilford and Roland and Karl Chambers

Info lifted from "Soul Harmony Singles" book

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday Night at Accrington Soul Club 

Played Syl Johnson Condition is

One-derful master Dubplate. 

Elevations What Could I Do .

D.wreckEd.hiT 

Betty Everett Bye Bye Baby 

ABC .

Top is mega rare only 2 exist . Treat for Frank Heap celebrating 60th .

Elevations first time play . Found for me by Rob Moss . Instant hit . Both filled floor .

As did Betty though she always does . 

Social source share

On 21/01/2019 at 01:51, Michael Bailey said:

Wow, I can't believe you have any, much less all three, of these. Where do you live and what time are you out of your house? :)

Donna King - only fit for a plant pot holder - the other two are completely and utterly brilliant records. Dx

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 18/12/2018 at 18:34, Greedy Mick said:

Constellations I didn't know how 

irresistible soul magnet, just drags you to the dance floor

Social source share

I'm not and never have been a DJ but between 1980 and 1983 I made a radio program, two hours every Friday night of Soul Music (60's and 70's) in the first local radio station of my hometown (RCA, Ràdio Capital de l'Alt Camp). Everybody was simply amateur. My program was called "Negre i Rosa" ("Black & Pink"). The sintony at the start and at the end was "K-Jee" by MFSB and I made some brief comments introducing every song.

I remember some "THREE FIRST SONGS" of some (for me) memorable programs, and these ar also the only ones I keep recorded on cassette.

One was:

01- Angelo Bond - "Goddbay My Love" (from the album "Bondage", ABC 1975; a sensual mid tempo)

02- The Floaters - "I Just Wanna Be With You" (from the album "Magic", ABC 1976; up tempo)

03- First Choice - "Smarty Pants" (Bell 45, 1974; up tempo disco-soul)

Another was:

01- Clarence Carter - "Warning" (from the album "Soul Food" by VV.AA., ABC 1976, another good mid tempo)

02- The Chi-lites - "You Got To Be The One" (from the album "Chi-lites", Caudal 197?, ethereal uptempo!)

03- Teddy Pendergrass - "Only You" (from the album "Life Is A Song Worth Singing", PIR 1978, another uptempo) 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Rather interesting thread as the man stated ,set, no mention of where so everyone presumes to a dancs floor which you would have to involve the last jocks set and build momentum from there,radio however I usual try the tried and tested Motown you have an audience but jimmy Saville was on before you 

Social source share

My first three at July’s Valatone reunion will be;

Nicky Newarkers- Woman - Mercury 

Carolyn Crawford - Just Got  To Be More Careful- Philadelphia International 

Ronnie McNair- Good Side Of Your Love - Tortoise International 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, philb said:

My first three at July’s Valatone reunion will be;

Nicky Newarkers- Woman - Mercury 

Carolyn Crawford - Just Got  To Be More Careful- Philadelphia International 

Ronnie McNair- Good Side Of Your Love - Tortoise International 

The one by Carolyn Crawford is da bomb, for the tempo and for the Hammond organ riff. I started a domestical cassette compilation by VV.AA. as a present for a friend with this one and have had serious problems to select something "adequate" to continue. I think the next ones were "Soul Bones" by The Trammps feat. Stevie Wonder and "You Ought To Be Dancing" by People's Choice.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!