Sporting Heroes Who Cut Soul / R&B Records

Rocky Roberts (not mentioned yet in the 60's European soul thread) was a Navy champion boxer. He never took up the sport professionally but settled in France when he left the navy (1962). He soon relocated to Italy and had a hit 45 there in the mid 60's.  

I believe the original Airedales were also navy guys that Rocky had started singing with while still in the services.

RockyRoberts47.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 26/12/2018 at 17:32, Mr Fred said:

I Remember when the ex boxer Jackie Wilson was on top of the pops and featured in the video was Jocky Wilson throwing darts. BBC's Cock up of the Century LOL.

Regards Fred. 

Actually it was Dexy s Midnight Runners singing Jackie Wilson Said and according to Kevin Rowland it was nt a cock up it was his idea to use the Jocky Wilson video for a laugh

Social source share

On 28/12/2018 at 21:22, Roburt said:

Rocky singing his top track to a hip NS audience ... 

you also get Lola Falana singing her big track (a cover of a Lee Dorsey hit) about 4 min 20 secs into the clip (which is an extract from an Italian movie).

The dialogue between the two old ladies and the young guy is fun (in a sick kinda way, maybe) and a little bit bewildering. It also sounds pretty racist nowadays if you think that actually is a black guy singin'

The first lady says something like: "This screams recalls me of the trip in Africa I made with my beloved Filippo (italian for Philip). They seems wild people to me".

The second lady says: "Why are they screamin' so much?"

The young guy answers: "It's a way to show their youthful spirit"

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 31/12/2018 at 18:01, David Moore said:

Actually it was Dexy s Midnight Runners singing Jackie Wilson Said and according to Kevin Rowland it was nt a cock up it was his idea to use the Jocky Wilson video for a laugh

yes , thanks for putting the record straight. The old grey matter isn't what it used to be LOL  Regards Fred.

Social source share

On 01/01/2019 at 18:07, Mr Fred said:

yes , thanks for putting the record straight. The old grey matter isn't what it used to be LOL  Regards Fred.

Further to my last comment this question was on the Chase the other night re who sang jackie Wilson Said? When Jocky Wilson was playing darts in the background.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Guess none of the actual players featured on this great Hammond organ mod dancer, but the label credits the track to the Chicago Cubs Clark St Band (guess the tuva side of the 45 actually has some players contributing to it) ... 

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!