Yarmouth Weekenders 1990/91 Video

Chalky

Mark Wilson sent me a copy of the video of some of the acts at Yarmouth's vauxhall Caravan Park, scene of one of the best Northern Soul Weekenders back in 1990/91 time.

Several acts on this 2 hour of film, Lorraine Chandler, pat Lewis, Ray Pollard, ben E king I think....

• Up vote 3
Social source share

8 hours ago, chalky said:

Yes, he was at Yarmouth too

Yes, but the later half of the footage (Darling Take Me Back and The Drifter) is the 100 Club - look at the background - I was at both, he was much better at the 6Ts evening do (was it the Tuesday before, or the Saturday?) . The last guy is Garland Green I think - he certainly performed at Yarmouth and it looks like him. Funny I don't remember Pat Lewis or Lorraine Chandler, but I must've seen them as I was all these weekenders.
Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

2 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

Yes, but the later half of the footage (Darling Take Me Back and The Drifter) is the 100 Club - look at the background - I was at both, he was much better at the 6Ts evening do (was it the Tuesday before, or the Saturday?) . The last guy is Garland Green I think - he certainly performed at Yarmouth and it looks like him. Funny I don't remember Pat Lewis or Lorraine Chandler, but I must've seen them as I was all these weekenders.
Dx

Yes I know its the 100 Club.  The weekend Ray was on at 100 Club/Yarmouth it was @lorchand Lorraine Chandler, Eddie Parker, Pat Lewis, Garland Green and Ray Pollard.  Jackie Day was also billed but she she failed to turn up?

1st flyer with earlier bookings....

1876948553_Yarmouth2ndNorthernWeekender1991.thumb.jpg.28979cf6850700fbe738499ee36d7663.jpg

amended flyer....

1670228084_Yarmouth2ndNorthernMarch1991.thumb.jpg.b5a2d8b52d8942ab0e9927a94f9fc3dc.jpg

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I always find it interesting looking at clips like this, and the standard is generally OK given the age of the performers.  But it always makes me wish I would have been able to see them at their peak.  It often makes me think of a conversation I had with a collector way back in the early 80's who said they never went to concerts as the live performance could never match the record.  Although this is true in many cases I still believe that seeing the top performers live is a much greater experience than listening to anything they have recorded.

Social source share

I remember going to a couple of these. I managed to get a short video of Frankie Gaye and Kim Weston dueting but cant seem to transfer it on to todays media. Also have a couple of tapes off the onsite radio. I'll have to transfer them on to mixcloud.

Also managed to get the programme signed by all the acts.......

img088.jpg

img082.jpg

Social source share

24 minutes ago, soulandy said:

I remember going to a couple of these. I managed to get a short video of Frankie Gaye and Kim Weston dueting but cant seem to transfer it on to todays media. Also have a couple of tapes off the onsite radio. I'll have to transfer them on to mixcloud.

Also managed to get the programme signed by all the acts.......

img088.jpg

img082.jpg

All the radio for 91 is on my mixcloud page.  

What format is the frankie gaye on, vhs? I’m getting or hopefully getting some videos transferred when I find a reputable company to do it. 

Social source share

8 minutes ago, chalky said:

All the radio for 91 is on my mixcloud page.  

What format is the frankie gaye on, vhs? I’m getting or hopefully getting some videos transferred when I find a reputable company to do it. 

I think it might be. It was a small tape in a big camera, had it on me shoulder and got told by the bouncers I couldn't film anything! I know its in the loft somewhere. There is a shop local to me that transfers stuff so may dig it out and see if its worth doing.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

i went to the yarmouth weekenders,i was only around 19/20 at the time, i was more into the dancing and the records,and the djs were like something that fell out of the sky,but in all honesty seeing the acts didnt really interest me.

i recall ray pollard and some female artists,but i seem to recall chuck jackson,hb barnum,jj barnes,lorraine silver,martha reeves,tony middleton,when were these acts on? but i dont recall seeing ben e king,but i doubt i would have been that fussed about that.

there was other motown acts too,who were they,anyone know?

i seem to recall 3 weekenders around them couple of years 89/90/91?

Social source share

6 hours ago, dobber said:

i went to the yarmouth weekenders,i was only around 19/20 at the time, i was more into the dancing and the records,and the djs were like something that fell out of the sky,but in all honesty seeing the acts didnt really interest me.

i recall ray pollard and some female artists,but i seem to recall chuck jackson,hb barnum,jj barnes,lorraine silver,martha reeves,tony middleton,when were these acts on? but i dont recall seeing ben e king,but i doubt i would have been that fussed about that.

there was other motown acts too,who were they,anyone know?

i seem to recall 3 weekenders around them couple of years 89/90/91?

Lorraine Silver did a PA if memory serves one afternoon, she came with Levine. 

Chuck, JJ, HB were 1990.  Martha was 89 at the Motown Weekender I think although she could have been later as well? 

Social source share

Edwin Starr, Brenda of the Exciters, a member of the Four Tops who I can't recognize the writing. I do remember the Four Tops being chauffeured in and out quite quickly while the artists mingled with the crowd. Chuck Jackson was also signing his LP that came out on the kent label at the time. 

img087.jpg

img089.jpg

Social source share

4 hours ago, dobber said:

is there a flyer for the motown weekender then for 89?

also didnt the pa go dead for chuck jackson and he sung accapella? i seem to remember a glittery gold jacket he was wearing?

gene chandler had some king costume on?

It should be in the link above, maybe not the flyer but the schedule

Gene was dressed as a Duke or Earl. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

16 hours ago, chalky said:

Lorraine Silver did a PA if memory serves one afternoon, she came with Levine. 

Chuck, JJ, HB were 1990.  Martha was 89 at the Motown Weekender I think although she could have been later as well? 

What year was Popcorn Wylie there? We had a party in one of the caravans and he turned up and stayed most of the night, when he left he invited us to come and stay at his place in the States. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, philb said:

What year was Popcorn Wylie there? We had a party in one of the caravans and he turned up and stayed most of the night, when he left he invited us to come and stay at his place in the States. 

October 1990, spent the day in caravan with him! He supped a bottle of my vodka 😆 

Yarmouth Oct 1990

Edited by chalky
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

October 1990, spent the day in caravan with him! He supped a bottle of my vodka 😆 

Yarmouth Oct 1990

yeah this is the motown one i attended,i knew i had gone to 3 weekenders around 90/91.i recall martha reeves and edwin starr being the standout acts for me.

which was the god awful weekender with sam ward,lou ragland,francis nero all singing to a rubbish backing tape?  at least the acts at yarmouth were with a real band!

Social source share

9 minutes ago, dobber said:

yeah this is the motown one i attended,i knew i had gone to 3 weekenders around 90/91.i recall martha reeves and edwin starr being the standout acts for me.

which was the god awful weekender with sam ward,lou ragland,francis nero all singing to a rubbish backing tape?  at least the acts at yarmouth were with a real band!

Sam Ward etc was Morecambe.  I only went for the Saturday with Ray Hudson. 

Social source share

The Morecambe Weekender with Sammy Ward, Lou Ragland & Francis Nero on live was held in May 1990 (if my memory is holding up). I ran Lou's UK tour that year and it was one of about 8 live shows he did here that visit (he also did the Yarmouth Soul Weekender on that visit) ....    the promoter of the Morecambe event wanted the acts to sing over backing tapes to help keep the overall cost down. I believe the 2 Motown acts were sourced via Levine (& his Motor City label).

Sammy Ward dancing @ Morecambe ....  

SammyWardPic.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!