News: This Is Lowrider Soul - New Compilation From Ace/Kent

What a brilliant compilation! Love catching these tunes via YouTube with some great videos that Ian Whittington puts up but access to this set on CD is fantastic. Nice cover too, and I'm sure the sleeve notes will be as comprehensive as always with Kent.

I can imagine a 70s compilation might be a thought too but guess we'll have to wait.....

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Hell, what a compilation! The term 'Low Rider Soul' is a new one on me, these are the type of tune I listen to most of the time, wasn't aware I was into 'Low Rider Soul' , I simply try to acquire 'quality' tunes, must of been doing something right for the past 40 years.

Will be ordering the CD immediately.

Tim.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, Tim Richmond said:

Hell, what a compilation! The term 'Low Rider Soul' is a new one on me, these are the type of tune I listen to most of the time, wasn't aware I was into 'Low Rider Soul' , I simply try to acquire 'quality' tunes, must of been doing something right for the past 40 years.

Tim.

Tim - this guy's videos all seem to be Low Rider Soul / Chicano Soul. Stylishly edited though the visuals may be a bit of a marmite-type thing for some people. It was via his video to Darrow Fletcher's '(Love is my) Secret Weapon' that I first heard the track and am now the proud owner of the Kent 7" issue of the track.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ianwhitt100?pbjreload=10

If that link doesn't work just search YouTube for Ian Whittington. I don't know anything about him, I've assumed he's a British Soulie who moved over to LA  - anybody here know the story?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yay! Got home this evening to find the CD had been dropped through the door. Looking forward to listening to it and reading the comprehensive 23 page booklet. With all the threads covering OVO, downloads etc Kent keep pushing the value of the CD purchase. A Kent CD always gives me a similar glow to buying a 45 (reading the details that might be listed on each side of the disc), or an album, though to be honest I never quite developed the same love of albums as of 45s.

Hope those of you who bought this CD enjoy it as much as I'm expecting to.....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks for this CD Sean and all involved. Had several listens through now and it's a great compilation, along with a very informative booklet.

The track by Bobby Burn 'I'm a lonely man' on Chant - you refer to a subsequent issue on Gamble where he's named as Bobby Wilburn. Assuming that both of those are the same recording, is there another version of this tune? I'm sure I've heard a slightly different one, maybe on a CD a friend put together and gave me, or is it just my ageing ears?!

Great CD anyway, loving this.

Social source share

Some great music in this field, the Kent CD is a great introduction to the canon, an excellent addition to ones' collection of eclectic sounds!

I particularly enjoy the Panama label, home to some great tracks by my fave Lowrider oldies artist Little Francisco Greaves, here's two from his catalogue both very different from one another. 

Fast funky 'Jump' groove. 

Slow laid back groover, very trippy this one can be, lovely tune on the Sally Ruth label. 

Social source share

• 7 months later...
On 25/01/2019 at 14:42, seano said:

Thanks for this CD Sean and all involved. Had several listens through now and it's a great compilation, along with a very informative booklet.

The track by Bobby Burn 'I'm a lonely man' on Chant - you refer to a subsequent issue on Gamble where he's named as Bobby Wilburn. Assuming that both of those are the same recording, is there another version of this tune? I'm sure I've heard a slightly different one, maybe on a CD a friend put together and gave me, or is it just my ageing ears?!

Great CD anyway, loving this.

Yes there is another version by Al Christian on Chant

https://www.discogs.com/Al-Christian-Im-A-Lonely-Man-Nothing-Gonna-Change-The-Way-I-Feel/release/7119292

• Up vote 1
Social source share

This rt

On 18/12/2018 at 11:56, Tim Richmond said:

Tim.

Like Northern Soul is a made up name for a scene so to is Lowrider Soul

This article is great IMHO and tells you everything

https://www.utne.com/arts/classic-lowriders-zm0z12mjzros

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!