Hero's/mentors

Hi All

As christmas is coming, thought it would be a good time to give props to those people that were your first DJing hero's and those people that were your mentors when your were a young div on the scene. I remember that when I first went to allniters it was a bit scary, didn't know anyone, everything was very new. I came from a small town where very few other people went to northern soul events. But early one on I met the Gloucester crowd and a couple of people took me under thier wing. They were the one's that didn't mind me asking lots of silly questions and always came over to ask if I was OK, introduced me to others.

In the Gloucester crowd there was a real nice guy, who always had time for me, even took me up to Wigan hitch hiking on one of my first visits. The late, Gary Griffiths. As for DJ's in the early days one of my biggest influences was Steve Smith, I wouldn't miss a set he played. Steve was the best DJ in Gloucester, always playing lots of new tunes and one of the first DJ's to give Yate that special something. Not long after I got to know Richard Searling and Kojack Harvey well. All three gave me encouragement as a DJ, helped me find new tunes, came along and DJ'd for me at some of the earliest venues I ran. A couple of other name checks have to go out to the late Gabby and Leon Brown who became great mates.

So lets be having your stories and name checks at this time of good cheer. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi All

As christmas is coming, thought it would be a good time to give props to those people that were your first DJing hero's and those people that were your mentors when your were a young div on the scene. I remember that when I first went to allniters it was a bit scary, didn't know anyone, everything was very new. I came from a small town where very few other people went to northern soul events. But early one on I met the Gloucester crowd and a couple of people took me under thier wing. They were the one's that didn't mind me asking lots of silly questions and always came over to ask if I was OK, introduced me to others.

In the Gloucester crowd there was a real nice guy, who always had time for me, even took me up to Wigan hitch hiking on one of my first visits. The late, Gary Griffiths. As for DJ's in the early days one of my biggest influences was Steve Smith, I wouldn't miss a set he played. Steve was the best DJ in Gloucester, always playing lots of new tunes and one of the first DJ's to give Yate that special something. Not long after I got to know Richard Searling and Kojack Harvey well. All three gave me encouragement as a DJ, helped me find new tunes, came along and DJ'd for me at some of the earliest venues I ran. A couple of other name checks have to go out to the late Gabby and Leon Brown who became great mates.

So lets be having your stories and name checks at this time of good cheer. thumbsup.gif

Already done this one on another thread, Dave, but I'm always happy to give full-on respect to:

MENTORS:

Martin Hubbard - the young mod who owned "The Melody Inn", the local record shop in Corringham, and who, in 1965, convinced me that it was better for my soul to like Don Covay than Mick Jagger, and the Marvelettes than the Action.

Dave Godin - encouraged two green teenagers, in 1968, to get our own magazine out ("The Motortown Review") and thus begin what's been a lifetime's work of research and annotation!

DJ HEROES:

John Styles - history has airbrushed John out of any pioneers' picture, but he was a local legend round my way. Back in 1967 he was the first DJ I ever knew who only played soul records - and, happily, played them in my local youth club - and who got me hooked on wanting to do the same at a very early age

Chris Hill and Mike Franz - the dynamic duo from "The Orsett Cock" and other Essex pubs in the late 1960s. Chris is still the singular most entertaining DJ I've ever been privileged to know.

Alan Freeman - there'll never be a greater music presenter than Fluff. I used to tape his 1960s shows to study the speed and smoothness of his between song links - a model to all who have ever stood behind the decks, and tried to play one record after another.

I am forever indebted to all these individuals. Wherever they are, I hope they have a great Christmas (even Dave, who didn't believe in it....)

TONE :rolleyes:

Social source share

Nev Wherry unbeleivable back in 1980, everyones favorite in the Huntingdon crowd. He was such a nice guy too. Always approachable and he just had a way of putting sets together that were perfect. A very very sad loss.

Johnny Porteas was a local legend in Huntingdon about the same kind of time. So knowledgable.

John Anderson at soul bowl, always had time to talk and guide in the right direction to great records.

But most of all, my dearest friend Paul Packer, who I knew from way back in Thongsley Infant School, along with Terry Sullivan and Paul Atfield. Paul Packer was the one single person that got me out of the late 70s disco thing into this strange music called northern soul. Its funny, I think about him alot these days, another sad loss. But one of the coolest dudes you could ever meet back in his day, probably one of my closest friend at one time.

All of my friends from the Huntingdon crowd were great.... Packer, Atty, Sully (Rupin-He'll hate me for calling him that!!! rolleyes.gif ), Terry Moyse, DebbieReynolds, Gill White, Tina Telling, Gerry Bowsey. Then there was the nearby crowds from Godmanchester (Trevor Smith and co.), The St.Ives lot (Stuart Ives etc) and the St. Neots bunch (The Redmans, Tory etc).

Those were the days...

Lately though it has to be people like Carl Willingham for his sheer capacity to play extrodinary (not always expensive) records and off course John Anderson, who has never been phased by the hype and still in my opinion is the most knowledgable single one person on the planet,when it comes to soul.

Anyway, thats it for now, gotta go and find some more Christmas gifts for my wife, I did buy some nice things already, but she keeps opening them!! (whats that about???) I'll have to hide the next bunch!! :rolleyes:

Hi Andy

Like you John Anderson was a great supporter of mine, but this came later when I was running Stafford. He was the powerhouse behind the events success finding so many records for the likes of myself, Ady Pountain, Pat Brady, Sam, Robin, Adam and others. Great man!!!!!

Also in my last post I missed out the name of Colin Curtis, DJ hero, has given me lots of encouragement over the years, and played some stunning music, to this very day!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Hi All

hi dave

do you mean i'm one of your hero's :rolleyes:

yeah I know what you mean gary griffiths was a few years older than us his mate was gerry lott they both live in brockworth they went eveywhere together as for steve i remember we use to go to maxie's waiting to hear what new records he had bought

don't remind me about hicth hiking to wigan we would do that every week until yate started sometime's we would borrow someone car :(

gaby was my best mate still miss him now got some great memories of him we grew up together me and martin gulwell

cheers leon

talcum powder soul

www.gloucesterfm.com

every wednesday 7pm-9pm

in gloucester area 96.6fm

christmas day 70's party 10am-12noon

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

As with Andy's reply i guess it's where you are from and who was around at the time, i started this journey back in 1976 so for me people like Tony Ellis,Roger Stewart, Dave Greet, Pete Widdison, Mick Smith, Ian Stewart, Alan Eames from Reading and he won't mind me saying this as he started the thread but Dave Thorley has to be on my list, of course Randy Cozens, Ady Croasdell and later guys like Pat Brady, Brian Rae, Steve Whittle, Dave Evison were really big influances to me from a DJ perspective all true professional DJ's in the true sense of the word, also of course Richard Searling for his contribution throughout my time on the scene has been massive, but the one most single biggest influence/hero and mentor if you like is a gentleman that simply stands head and shoulders above the rest is Mr Ian Clark, this guy had it nailed down and was as important a DJ as Richard was at Wigan etc. as Ian was almost like his 'Southern Equal' as far as tunes were concerned, it's been said before many times but Ian was Yate, the early 100 Club. Stafford etc. the tunes he had and 'was' playing were simply as good as it got.

His professional approach to the craft of DJ'ing was just perfection, and most importantly he is a bloody nice bloke, miss him loads out there DJ'ing, without question the ideals and ethics Ian and the other names i've mentioned have been a huge inspiration to me as a DJ and collector, all have a passion for the music and have helped me to understand and enjoy the whole crazy world of Northern Soul just that little bit more.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

My hero would have to be Adrian Pountain, without a doubt. Half my collection are records he introduced me to, and half my want are also – he’s got a lot to answer for! . A man of impeccable taste spanning all types of soul music. He sold me many, many wonderful discs at I’m sure ‘cost’, if not less if the truth were told, for which I’ll be internally grateful for. I’m sure if he’d not pursued his career and concentrated on the ‘scene’ everyone would be saying “ yes it’s one of Pountain’s old spins”!

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

As with Andy's reply i guess it's where you are from and who was around at the time, i started this journey back in 1976 so for me people like Tony Ellis,Roger Stewart, Dave Greet, Pete Widdison, Mick Smith, Ian Stewart, Alan Eames from Reading and he won't mind me saying this as he started the thread but Dave Thorley has to be on my list, of course Randy Cozens, Ady Croasdell and later guys like Pat Brady, Brian Rae, Steve Whittle, Dave Evison were really big influances to me from a DJ perspective all true professional DJ's in the true sense of the word, also of course Richard Searling for his contribution throughout my time on the scene has been massive, but the one most single biggest influence/hero and mentor if you like is a gentleman that simply stands head and shoulders above the rest is Mr Ian Clark, this guy had it nailed down and was as important a DJ as Richard was at Wigan etc. as Ian was almost like his 'Southern Equal' as far as tunes were concerned, it's been said before many times but Ian was Yate, the early 100 Club. Stafford etc. the tunes he had and 'was' playing were simply as good as it got.

His professional approach to the craft of DJ'ing was just perfection, and most importantly he is a bloody nice bloke, miss him loads out there DJ'ing, without question the ideals and ethics Ian and the other names i've mentioned have been a huge inspiration to me as a DJ and collector, all have a passion for the music and have helped me to understand and enjoy the whole crazy world of Northern Soul just that little bit more.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Beat me to it about Ian Clark, Top Bloke, Great Dj with great taste to boot. Dear Friend.

Simon Small

Went to our first allnighter together, his idea. Dear friend at School lost touch over the years but always good to see him.

Martin Jenkins (Jordi Martin)

Took me under his wing I suppose, spent alot of the 80s in his company.

Jon Buck

If it was not for Jon and his Gigs I would not of known anything about this Norther Soul Music. He is responsible for turning so many people from Bed's Hert's and Buck's on to soul music through his RSG nights.

Thank You Jon !

Bob Cosby

The Man has pheonominal taste ! He has introduced me to so much music over the years from Soul to Jazz.

And I have to say you Mr Thorley you always had time for me as a youngster, like you asking silly questions. Stafford was a sroke of genius. You have always been supportive of me as Dj and most of all as a friend

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Beat me to it about Ian Clark, Top Bloke, Great Dj with great taste to boot. Dear Friend.

Simon Small

Went to our first allnighter together, his idea. Dear friend at School lost touch over the years but always good to see him.

Jon Buck

If it was not for Jon and his Gigs I would not of known anything about this Norther Soul Music. He is responsible for turning so many people from Bed's Hert's and Buck's on to soul music through his RSG nights.

Thank You Jon !

Bob Cosby

The Man has pheonominal taste ! He has introduced me to so much music over the years from Soul to Jazz.

And I have to say you Mr Thorley you always had time for me as a youngster, like you asking silly questions. Stafford was a stroke of genius. You have always been supportive of me as Dj and most of all as a friend

Gav getting bit sentimental there ain't you :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hero's ,If i had not of walked past a 1/2 opened door in 1972 i would never have met Mick Smith & Dave Killworth playing totaly outstanding tunes all new to me and turned me on straight away,never see Dave anymore but Mick is still a great friend and not a bad DJ :thumbsup: .Thanks Mick.

Taffy my first soul mate so to speak we went everywhere together just to listen to true soul tunes,distance no object,and even after close to 30 years we still remain good mates,good on yer bert..

Randy always a laugh even during the gloomy days,sad day when the man passed away,always missed..

Steve Hobbs a class Dj who like me loves a beer or 10,good drinking buddy,and a mine of information on all things modernish!!,your round next Steve..

To all the soul boys and girls out there who i still enjoy your comany,you are ALL heros in my opinion for keeping it all together,a slap on the back to you all.

Now where my kleenex i'm feeling all weepy now..

Social source share

For me, Mentor Pete Thorpe,quiet unnassuming bloke with a knowledge and passion for soul second to none,took me uder the wing,showed me the difference between soul records and fast pop records with a beat,remember him selling me a copy of james lately on temple circa 1980"keep this salmon,its gonna be big one day"wish i had now :shades:

HERO'S Dave Withers ,unsung hero of the scene,he and Rod made some amazing discoverys between them,always had time for a snotty 16 yr old"whats that like Dave,take it home and play it , if you dont like it bring it back next time your here(bury market,afflecks)

Pete Lawson,just for being himself

Dave molloy for having a big nose :thumbsup:

Social source share

Simon Small

Jon Buck

Thank You Jon !

Bob Cosby

And I have to say you Mr Thorley you always had time for me as a youngster, like you asking silly questions. Stafford was a sroke of genius. You have always been supportive of me as Dj and most of all as a friend

Well Gav

As it's christmas and you've made me all over sentimental, here my life time list of props (So far)

DJ Hero's

Richard Searling

Kojack Harvey

Steve Smith (The elder-Gloucester)

Gavin Page

Colin Curtis

Sam

Arthur Fenn

Mentors

Ian Clark

Ady Pountain

John Anderson

Gary Griffiths

Bro's (People that just keep you going when times are tough)

Gary 'Slaphead'

Mark 'Many The Time'

Dawn

Leon Brown

Lorraine Bennett

Carol Pountain

Dave Greet

Gabby(We all miss him)

Ernest Kelly

McKinley Jackson

Popcorn

Malayka

Karen & Pete

Alison & John

Tim & Fee

Butch

Gary Field

Martin

Walgenbach

And most of the aboves and just about everyone I meet when I'm out and about on the soul scene. Had few tough years a little while back and it was the soul scene and everyone on it that came to my aid.

Have a supa dupa christmas ya all, love you lots, me. How sentemental is this!!!!!

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Well Gav

As it's christmas and you've made me all over sentimental, here my life time list of props (So far)

DJ Hero's

Richard Searling

Kojack Harvey

Steve Smith (The elder-Gloucester)

Gavin Page

Colin Curtis

Sam

Arthur Fenn

Mentors

Ian Clark

Ady Pountain

John Anderson

Gary Griffiths

Bro's (People that just keep you going when times are tough)

Gary 'Slaphead'

Mark 'Many The Time'

Dawn

Leon Brown

Lorraine Bennett

Carol Pountain

Dave Greet

Gabby(We all miss him)

Ernest Kelly

McKinley Jackson

Popcorn

Malayka

Karen & Pete

Alison & John

Gary Field

And most of the aboves and just about everyone I meet when I'm out and about on the soul scene. Had few tough years a little while back and it was the soul scene and everyone on it that came to my aid.

Have a supa dupa christmas ya all, love you lots, me. How sentemental is this!!!!!WOT NO DIM

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Hi All

So lets be having your stories and name checks at this time of good cheer. :thumbsup:

I have never met them, but my DJ heroes are the late Frankie Crocker and Spinderella from the rap group Salt N Pepa. They are the ones that influenced me to be a DJ; Frankie for his selection of music and presence and Spin for her strength and perserverance of being a female DJ when during that time, it was still unheard of. :shades:

Social source share

Here's (some of) mine... in no particular order.

Dave Grounds - The Charade in Rotherham - Early 70's.

The Best DJ never to become a 'name'... but a local hero none the less!

Jimmy Campbell - Ace Face - Old Wheelite - A Top Mod and a Real Soul Man.

Helped me so much in my quest for Rare Soul. Gave me a copy of Betty Lavette "Let Me Down Easy" in 1973... and changed my life. Also, quite probably, the Nicest Guy on the Planet!

Malc Burton - Top Drawer Promoter.

Gave me the breaks in the 70's. Later in the 80's, we launched "The Harlem Shuffle" at Clifton Hall together. He knew talent when he saw it! :thumbsup: A Top Bloke.

Dave Godin - Mentor - Soul Music Journalist - Legend.

Hung on his every word. Bought his every recommendation. A totally unique individual and a close personal friend. Sadly missed.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Here's (some of) mine... in no particular order.

Dave Grounds - The Charade in Rotherham - Early 70's.

The Best DJ never to become a 'name'... but a local hero none the less!

Jimmy Campbell - Ace Face - Old Wheelite - A Top Mod and a Real Soul Man.

Helped me so much in my quest for Rare Soul. Gave me a copy of Betty Lavette "Let Me Down Easy" in 1973... and changed my life. Also, quite probably, the Nicest Guy on the Planet!

Malc Burton - Top Drawer Promoter.

Gave me the breaks in the 70's. Later in the 80's, we launched "The Harlem Shuffle" at Clifton Hall together. He knew talent when he saw it! :thumbsup: A Top Bloke.

Dave Godin - Mentor - Soul Music Journalist - Legend.

Hung on his every word. Bought his every recommendation. A totally unique individual and a close personal friend. Sadly missed.

Sean Hampsey

Hi Sean

I think we all have a place in our hearts for Dave Godin. Reading his column in the 70's was a must do. Only really got to know him late on, when he came down to Bretby a few times. Such a nice guy, sad he is no longer with us.

Social source share

My hero would have to be Adrian Pountain, without a doubt. Half my collection are records he introduced me to, and half my want are also - he's got a lot to answer for! . A man of impeccable taste spanning all types of soul music.

Ditto !!!

My mentors back in the day would be the older Welsh lads who shone the soul torch for the rest of us North Walians ie Bob Foster and all his mates around that time, Then it would be Rob Marriot and his big bruv who had impeccable taste , All the dj,s at Wigan who got me totally addicted !! and after all that i thought i knew a fair bit and migrated to Australia and met Ady Pountain who nutured and taught me loads and sold me loads of nice tunes; as well as half of Australia ! The man is a true legend, passionate about soul and a wicked sense of humour.

Pete morgan

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

As many have so rightly said Ian Clark is just a great guy and great DJ, for me his spots at the 100 club in the mid eighties summed it all up. 'The whole world is a picture show', and 'always in the mood' always make me think of Ian.

I bought most of my records from Rob Smiths shop in Nottingham, always really helpful and friendly guy, this was in the day when you could still see the floor of the shop !!!!

Went there a few years ago and had never seen anything like it !!!

Social source share

As many have so rightly said Ian Clark is just a great guy and great DJ, for me his spots at the 100 club in the mid eighties summed it all up. 'The whole world is a picture show', and 'always in the mood' always make me think of Ian.

++++++++++++++++

Top Bloke Ian Clark .. I must admit after his spots at the 100 club , we would be looking to speed off to another nighter shhh.gif ..Brilliant taste ,and played right across the board .

Social source share

For me it was Beano, a local guy from burton who used to go to the Wheel, top bloke, used to do the early set at Bretby for me, great taste, liked new stuff as well...still keep in touch today...

Then Gilly....lent me 2000 rare 45s after i`d known him a week! Imagine what was in there, Inspirations, 4 voices, massive Detroit collection...Still see him every month, great guy who despite being a legend made time for me when i first started on the scene. Actually we have spoken about this since and all he said was "I knew you were into the proper stuff". It was great to play Melvin Davis for him the last time I was DJing at Willington.....

In the Bretby years it was Steve Smith who was always one step ahead and Cliff Steele, great taste and introduced me to 70s/modern for the first time.....

Laterly i love talking to John Anderson, great taste, feet on the ground and someone who really puts the whole thing into perspective for me.

Chris

Social source share

Hi All

I shall always hold a place in my heart for Joan & Len who owned The Number 2 Dance Club - better known as The Central - in Leeds .

It was the august bank holiday Sunday in 1968 , and I , like many other regulars , had turned up for the evening session ...... but the DJ had not ( he was still in Scarborough , someone said ) . Joan was in a panic , and noticing I was there , asked me to help out until the DJ got there . I nervously obliged , and using the club's records , " helped out " ...... from 7.30 until the club closed at 10.30 PM , as the DJ did not turn up , obviously preferring Scarborough to Leeds .

Joan thanked me for my efforts at the end of the night , and I went home thinking that was that . Several days later , I received a letter from Joan asking me if I would like to regularly DJ at the club . I accepted the offer , and spent three happy years at the club .

It was a sincere pleasure to work for Joan and Len ; they were a diamond couple .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Mentor Sandy Moutain who ran Sinfonia in Blackpool many of us first got to use 'real' decks at 'the Big 528'. His boxes of imports at 9p were legendary.

DJ wise Jon LeSaint at Lytham Football Club, then the Teanlowe

Richard Searling - Without doubt the most influential DJ at the most influential venue at the height of the scene's "popularity".

Pat Brady - For the simply ground breaking effect of the Chandlers (see they don't have to be 150 mph).

Gaz Kellet - For introducing me to all those special unknown sounds that are so familiar now and many that are still not.

Social source share

Mentor Sandy Moutain who ran Sinfonia in Blackpool many of us first got to use 'real' decks at 'the Big 528'. His boxes of imports at 9p were legendary.

DJ wise Jon LeSaint at Lytham Football Club, then the Teanlowe

Richard Searling - Without doubt the most influential DJ at the most influential venue at the height of the scene's "popularity".

Pat Brady - For the simply ground breaking effect of the Chandlers (see they don't have to be 150 mph).

Gaz Kellet - For introducing me to all those special unknown sounds that are so familiar now and many that are still not.

such apity about gaz,getting his 45's nicked,and the personal prob's :shades:
Social source share

Nev Wherry unbeleivable back in 1980, everyones favorite in the Huntingdon crowd. He was such a nice guy too. Always approachable and he just had a way of putting sets together that were perfect. A very very sad loss.

Johnny Porteas was a local legend in Huntingdon about the same kind of time. So knowledgable.

John Anderson at soul bowl, always had time to talk and guide in the right direction to great records.

But most of all, my dearest friend Paul Packer, who I knew from way back in Thongsley Infant School, along with Terry Sullivan and Paul Atfield. Paul Packer was the one single person that got me out of the late 70s disco thing into this strange music called northern soul. Its funny, I think about him alot these days, another sad loss. But one of the coolest dudes you could ever meet back in his day, probably one of my closest friend at one time.

All of my friends from the Huntingdon crowd were great.... Packer, Atty, Sully (Rupin-He'll hate me for calling him that!!! :shades: ), Terry Moyse, DebbieReynolds, Gill White, Tina Telling, Gerry Bowsey. Then there was the nearby crowds from Godmanchester (Trevor Smith and co.), The St.Ives lot (Stuart Ives etc) and the St. Neots bunch (The Redmans, Tory etc).

Those were the days...

Lately though it has to be people like Carl Willingham for his sheer capacity to play extrodinary (not always expensive) records and off course John Anderson, who has never been phased by the hype and still in my opinion is the most knowledgable single one person on the planet,when it comes to soul.

Anyway, thats it for now, gotta go and find some more Christmas gifts for my wife, I did buy some nice things already, but she keeps opening them!! (whats that about???) I'll have to hide the next bunch!! :D

have to agree, as a young soulie growing up in the st.neots/huntingdon area in the 70s,st.ives being my first taste of alldayers/allnighters it has to be the late great NEV WHERRY RIP, also know and still see

most of the locals named :lol:

happy xmas

russ

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mrs norman maine

I have to mention two men, at the risk of embarrassing them both. Neither is the pushy type and so exemplify all those unassuming people who've played an important part in keeping the scene going for so many years. Both collectors, though one sold up a few years ago and one a DJ, with vast amounts of knowledge between them. The people I am most in debt to are.....

1. Dennis Barton from Clay Cross. He'd be mortified if he read this, but he doesn't come on here, so tongue.gif .

Never lost his enthusiasm for the music, though he sold up and hasn't been active on the scene for about 8 years. He's pointed me in the direction of countless brilliant sounds. Still getting compilation CDs from him now, often containing sounds/re-discoveries that are currently being raved about about on here-I honestly don't know how he does it. :wub:biggrin.gif

2. Tony Smith, the Walthamstow Oracle. Top bloke, top DJ and a font of all knowledge. I've never asked him a question that he hasn't known the answer to (apart from a wobbly Mikki Farrow moment in Stoke some years back :lol::D ). He's always happy to pass on knowledge & answer questions and believe me, some of my questions have been bl**dy stupid.

Dennis will probably never see this and I only hope that Tony doesn't read this before I next see him............... :boxing:

Two top chaps thumbsup.gif

Social source share

In my early 1990's days two names stick out - the Saints nights at St Helens - Barry Malledy and Harry Denett (spelling ?) absolutely top notch music to a relative newcomer, Barry a real nice guy - hi if your around.

To introducing me to the scene Gary Taylor - Crewe, my mate i lost contact with Andy Vos ex. Upholland nr. Wigan, Tracey Chandler (Leicester) Pete Hollander and Bob Conners to mention a few, sorry to have lost track of you all. Guys who freely gave tapes and even records regularly to educate, and my best mate always Andy Myatt - knowledge and friendship over many years

Andy S-O-T

Social source share

My hero would have to be Adrian Pountain, without a doubt. Half my collection are records he introduced me to, and half my want are also - he's got a lot to answer for! . A man of impeccable taste spanning all types of soul music. He sold me many, many wonderful discs at I'm sure 'cost', if not less if the truth were told, for which I'll be internally grateful for. I'm sure if he'd not pursued his career and concentrated on the 'scene' everyone would be saying " yes it's one of Pountain's old spins"!

Yes I agree, Ady Pountain is a DJ hero and a top bloke, and while he never fully concentrated DJing on the scene in the UK you should note that he DID become one of Australia's top soul DJ's when he was living over there in the late 80's early 90's !!!

Current DJ heroes in Oz are Pete Morgan and the notorious Ady Harley who should be known to quite a few on here !!!

:boxing:

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!