Male Voices

This came about when I was asked the question, who do I think had or has the best male singing voice, on a well known social media site. I didn't need to think about the question at all, and instantly said that bloke who was the leader of a pack of Las Vegas rats.

My answer led to several messages of rather adult banter being passed back and forth between the two of us, until the final message came to me saying, I meant in the world of Soul music. 

That kinda set the cogs spinning about in my swede. Without too much thought I had milled Roy Hamilton around, closely followed by Chuck Jackson, Levi Stubbs, Jimmy Ruffin, Jackie Wilson, David Ruffin and of course, Teddy Pendergrass, amongst others. 

Then it dawned on me. When I looked back at his catalogue, there isn't a song I don't like, and there isn't a song that i've heard sung better by another male singer. I was sold.

In my humble opinion the best male voice in Soul music, is Marvin Gaye.

Your thoughts?.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Marvin? A very good singer, but essentially a poor mans Sam Cooke.

Top male voice? Levi Stubbs every day of the week/month/year. 

Lights blue touch paper and retires to a safe distance...........

Edited by Guest
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Joey said:

Marvin? A very good singer, but essentially a poor mans Sam Cooke.

Top male voice? Levi Stubbs every day of the week/month/year. 

Lights blue touch paper and retires to a safe distance...........

You know, I had completely forgotten about the great Sam Cooke. My bad. My choice was almost going to be Levi Stubbs, but once Marvin Gaye came into my head, I kinda weighed things up, and that lead to my decision. I'll grant you one thing though, there isn't much between Marvin Gaye and Levi Stubbs. Certainly, I would say that those two singers, have given me more enjoyment over the past 58 years than any other individual male singers.

Social source share

1 minute ago, MotownSoulMan said:

You know, I had completely forgotten about the great Sam Cooke. My bad. My choice was almost going to be Levi Stubbs, but once Marvin Gaye came into my head, I kinda weighed things up, and that lead to my decision. I'll grant you one thing though, there isn't much between Marvin Gaye and Levi Stubbs. Certainly, I would say that those two singers, have given me more enjoyment over the past 58 years than any other individual male singers.

Haven't heard Marvin sing anything badly even once. But, to my ears, he always lags well behind Sam. Just an extra degree of purity in Cookes voice. 

Levi? Wins it outright, just on the sheer amount of emotion he could impart. I swear his voice brings me to tears whenever I hear it. Saw/heard him live many, many times, and even in his later years you could close your eyes and it was as though it was '66 again. He never missed a note or a beat.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

I do regret not naming Sam Cooke, though in my honest opinion, Marvin Gaye was more versatile, vocally.

As for Levi Stubbs, well, what do you say. I think I am right in saying the first time I actually saw him live was in '66. The thing that struck me, and my Uncle Phil, that took me to the concert, was the fact he could sing as well live, as he sounded to be singing on the records. That I hadn't really heard before, apart from Petula Clark. Now of course there are several singers that are as good live as they sound in the studio recordings. There are certain songs by The Four Tops, that do mean a lot to me, and hold a special place in my heart. Baby I Need Your Loving, I'm Grateful, Do What You Gotta Do, Lonely Lover, Reach Out, Walk Away Renee, and Without The One You Love, but to name a few, but, that vocal, on Ask The Lonely is something else. It is the one song of The Four Tops that makes my eyes leak, and it always sends the shivers up my spine. It would certainly be in my top 10 of all time. My ONLY regrets about that group, are, (a) Sweet Was The Love never got released until 2005, because it would have been a huge hit for them, in the day, and (b) I saw The Four Tops on Vintage TV before Levi Stubbs died, but after the stroke, and was appalled that they pretty much forced him to appear on the show. I thought that was cruel. Yeah, have the old boy in the audience, but leave him the hell alone. That did bring a tear to my eye.

That clip of him on stage, and in the wheelchair, is heartbreaking. I saw him many times, including for the final time at a Motown/Northern weekender, Yarmouth, mid nineties. He sounded as good then as when he did twenty odd years before. And yeah, if you closed your eyes at a Tops concert, they sounded exactly the same as they did on vinyl. 

For me, Ask the Lonely is right up there with "......Renee", but slightly behind "Just As Long As You Need Me". Christ, he kills that one. My favourite Motown track of all time. 

As for Marvin, no one can argue against his vocal range or ability etc. Just for me, Sam, edges it every time. And in every way. Different strokes for different folks perhaps, but a good comparison nevertheless. And an even better argument! 😂

Social source share

25 minutes ago, Joey said:

That clip of him on stage, and in the wheelchair, is heartbreaking. I saw him many times, including for the final time at a Motown/Northern weekender, Yarmouth, mid nineties. He sounded as good then as when he did twenty odd years before. And yeah, if you closed your eyes at a Tops concert, they sounded exactly the same as they did on vinyl. 

For me, Ask the Lonely is right up there with "......Renee", but slightly behind "Just As Long As You Need Me". Christ, he kills that one. My favourite Motown track of all time. 

As for Marvin, no one can argue against his vocal range or ability etc. Just for me, Sam, edges it every time. And in every way. Different strokes for different folks perhaps, but a good comparison nevertheless. And an even better argument! 😂

Agreed. It was heartbreaking alright, downright cruel, and totally unnecessary.

Voice wise, he never did lose it, and as you say, his voice never really changed at all. It was just like you was sat in the back of the studio as he recorded it.

I couldn't tell you how many times I saw him live, but it'll be over 20 times, between the 6ts and the 9ts, both in the UK, Europe and over the other side of the pond. Mind you, I would think the number of Motown concerts i've been to since the mid 6ts is well over 150.

Just As Long As You Need Me is classic Levi Stubbs/Four Tops. It's right up there, and I love it.

You just about sum up the Marvin Gaye and Sam Cooke argument in that sentence. It's purely down to the ear isn't it?.

Social source share

On 19/12/2018 at 13:36, MotownSoulMan said:

This again seems to be coming down to favourite singers or even records, that is understandable, but some mentioned are by no means the greatest by a long shot.  Great singers yes, Levi for instance, yes great singer but he isn’t in the same league as Jackie Wislon or

Little Willie John.  LWJ, even James Brown wouldn’t follow him on stage as it was said no one could compare and the crowd wouldn’t even pay attention after he’d been on.  Listen to the range and depth of his voice and it is easy to understand why. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

8 minutes ago, chalky said:

This again seems to be coming down to favourite singers or even records as some mentioned are by no means the greatest by a long shot.  Great singers yes, Levi for instance, yes great singer but he isn’t in the same league as Jackie Wislon or

Little Willie John.  LWJ, even James Brown wouldn’t follow him on stage as it was said no one could compare and the crowd wouldn’t even pay attention after he’d been on.  Listen to the range and depth of his voice and it is easy to understand why. 

Hearing this live back in the day must have been what you are talking about:

Ed

Social source share

5 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Hearing this live back in the day must have been what you are talking about:

Ed

I’m talking about a lot of what he sung.   By no means favourites of mine, but having read his biographies and a lot about him, his live performances etc and what other artists had to say I find it hard to look at another singer the same.  

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Joey

Ever since you mentioned this song, it's been on my mind, and finally this morning I dug it out. Now, after spinning a few Four Tops songs yesterday, i'm kinda torn now, between Marvin Gaye and Levi Stubbs, with the latter coming out on top at the moment. Strange how being prompted about one song by someone else can affect ones choices.

Thanks MsSoulie for reminding us of the voice of Percy Sledge too.

The flip of The Four Tops - Shake Me, Wake Me (When It's Over), Just As Long As You Need Me, from 1966, on Motown. A whole lot of magic.

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Corrected my abysmal spelling
Social source share

10 hours ago, Gilly said:

For me  Morris Lamont Chestnut  and out of Detroit Edward Hamilton 

Yes, the performance Morris managed with the Attractions on 'Some of your time' is just class. Good shout, pity his output was more limited than some of the superb artists mentioned above like Levi. Had best flag up Bobby Womack before I forget. I have always enjoyed the well rounded tones of Garland Green, JJ Barnes and Mike James Kirkland (Bo Kirkland).

Andy

Edited by still diggin
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

If its down to favourite singers for their output then for me Marvin Gaye - so many styles and not one dud. Jackie wilson a close second - for so many great northern dancers.  As for a couple of records where the lead singer is for me just incredible - possibly not in a classic sense but just the sheer power/emotion;

Social source share

Sam Dees, Johnny Adams,Willie Clayton , o v Wright , rue Davis , Carl sims , Ollie nightingale, Pickett , Clay, j brown , rance Allen, Womack ,j James , l fields , lee Morris ,Preston Shannon, Cooke , Sam Moore, troutman , etc etc etc in no particular order , couldn’t put a cig paper between them .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

When trying to arrive at an answer to this question I have often thought first you have to come to some agreement on terms of reference. What do you think are the most important criteria. Is it enough to just have a couple of killer songs ,or is it more important to have an extensive catalogue of work ?. Does it matter if the voice is great ,but constrained by range ,or does 4 octaves do it for you ? Does it matter if they just sang a particular tempo of song ,or does breadth matter? How important is it they could kill it live both vocally and visually? Should we judge singers who were individual artists alongside singers who were in groups? To me that matters because singers in groups can get a lot help from the group whereas the guy on his own has no place to 'hide'. You only have to think of those who left groups to go solo to think about this, for example was Ruffin ever has successful without the Temptations as he was with them? Finally, does it matter if they had a hand in writing at least some of theirown material ? Let's face it we have all heard a great voice that just disappeared because they didn't have the right material. There may be other factors ,but these few at least are a starting point.

Before I get trashed for not putting a name out , and given some names already mentioned, I'd like to put a shout out for a few that have not yet been mentioned; Little Richard, Bunny Sigler, Ron Isley, JJ Barnes and Johnnie Taylor. Probably ,none of those could claim top spot across the aforementioned criteria. Those criteria already explain why Marvin and Levi rank so highly, but the other that would be in the same frame would undoubtedly have to be Smokey Robinson. The duration of the career, the huge catalogue, the song writing, the voice, for all of those reasons he would be there.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

You have to take the background of an artist in consideration too where they came from what they overcame ect,  especially afro americans, Ray Charles for example. Not forgetting white guys that can- could hold a toon, Frankie Valli Paul Anka , Stevie Winwood , Chris Farlow, Joe Cocker et al . 

Social source share

12 minutes ago, chalky said:

I thought this was the best nale voice? Half these mentioned couldn’t hold a candle to the likes of Jackie Wilson, Roy Hamilton, Little Willie John. Yes they made good records but c’mon the greatest voices ever 🙄😆

I’ll stand by my list , although it isn’t my complete list ...

Social source share

3 hours ago, marty57 said:

You have to take the background of an artist in consideration too where they came from what they overcame ect,  especially afro americans, Ray Charles for example. Not forgetting white guys that can- could hold a toon, Frankie Valli Paul Anka , Stevie Winwood , Chris Farlow, Joe Cocker et al . 

Eddie Hinton

Social source share

On 21/12/2018 at 13:58, Colnago said:

I’ll stand by my list , although it isn’t my complete list ...

Is your list a list of favourites though? I realise it is a very emotive and subjective topic but there is probably two in your list I’d put in a list of greats, Womack and Cooke.  I don't think Womack though as good as he isn’t up there with the very very best

Edited by chalky
Social source share

To put it into context chalky , one of my favourite artists is George Jackson , but I wouldn’t put him up there as a top vocalist but it’s the flaws in his vocals that kind of do it for me as it isn’t too polished , especially as a lot were merely demo form as writing was his forte. Love Womack too but how then do you judge it ? Ifit’s based on vocals alone what about Pickett , but same as Jackie Wilson, I love his material but then I wouldn’t have him in my top 5 , I cannot compare him to say ov Wright ‘ the bottom line ‘ etc and I wouldn’t wish to , as you say emotive subject and each to his own .Al green is up there for me too . 

Edited by Colnago
Social source share

We can all think of fantastic vocal performances (say on a particular record or two) but to be a'great' they have to have done it consistently time and time again - in the same way that I have witnessed some top quality goals at Reading (not for ages unfortunately) but those players did it once or twice in their career as opposed to a messi.  I'll stick with Marvin gaye & Jackie wilson as my desert island collections...

Social source share

obviously there is never any final conclusion to these type of discussions but it reminds us the enormous amount of talent in the soul world and the great thing is the discussion triggers me to think 'oh yes must dig that out or have a listen to that sometime soon'.

Social source share

The reason there isn't any real final conclusion is because it will usually be discussed on an 'individual' basis which frankly is by implication highly subjective. Not only can that individual opinion be markedly different from that held by many others, but it can even change day by day almost depending on the mood of the holder !

However, introduce some objectivity and science by agreeing to some specific terms of reference and I would suggest you could get a collective conclusion. That being one that was generally agreed and didn't change day by day. Easier said than done, but still possible if there was any real interest and willingness to participate. Start with a list of criteria evaluate from a survey and then refine it by introducing the notion of weighting of the criteria again seeking collective agreement via a survey. Once you had a model that was collectively agreeable you could subject the possible candidates to a point system evaluation using the model. Or , you could just say fluck it, grab a glass of wine, turn the music on and ignore the rest of the world.  :)

Edited by Steve C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

This thread was intended to find out what individuals classed as the BEST MALE VOICES of Soul, however, and quite obviously, what may be one persons "Pick" may easily be someone else's "Poison"

As a matter of fact, an awful lot of singers, could never reproduce the voice they could lay down in the studio, when singing live on stage, however, several could, hence my initial list, and a few others that are mentioned.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't even consider some of the names mentioned, because (a) there are some i'm not familiar with, and (b) a few of the names are known for one, maybe two songs that I wouldn't even consider mediocre songs, and that's all. That's my opinion, and I stress, MY OPINION. Bleeding Tony Blackburn has a couple of known songs, but that don't make him one of the best singers, no matter whether people like them or not. (Sorry if anyone has just had to go and put a lumpy yawn down the khazi) 

Someone mentioned that you have to take into consideration their background, ie, where they came from. In my opinion, that's codswallop. It's got no bearing on anything whatsoever. 

One or two members seem to suggest that some picks, are simply because they may just happen to be the singer of their favourite songs. Maybe, but again, it's irrelevant. 

Now while some members have played the game in the manner that it was intended, one or seem to have started the nit picking of sorts, much in the manner of old where "someone can't be classed as a collector if all they collect is cd's", or more recently on here, what is Motown and what isn't. That's cobblers fella's, and you know it.

Now I know this is a forum, and forums are for discussion, but please, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Not everyone's ear is drawn to the same thing when considering topics of this nature. As I said earlier in this post, what suits one person, doesn't necessarily suit another. The key to the whole thread is simple, it's in the initial post, BEST MALE VOICES. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!