Male Voices

On 21/12/2018 at 18:18, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Ray Pollard. Gene McDaniels. Dean Parish. Major Lance. Romance Watson . Not mentioned so far in this thread but pretty close to Roy Hamilton when it comes to belting out a song. Impossible to pick a Top Three as there are dozens and dozens of unsung heroes.

Just thought of Tony Middleton and Lou Johnson as two class acts to add to the list of those not yet mentioned.

Social source share

L.J Reynolds was a great addition to the Dramatics,but he cut some fantastic sides on Lawton that shouldn't be overlooked especially Let One Hurt Do

1 hour ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

And what about L.J. Reynolds from The Dramatics? I likes much more his contribution to the group than his solo work.

Edited by tobytyke
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

There's a great male vocalist from UK who sings in my absolute Incognito's favorite album "Beneath The Surface". I refer to Cristopher Ballin, specially on "Labour Of Love". He reminds me on Teddy P. and David Simmons, not exactly the same voice, perhaps is the "feeling". The whole "spirit" of the album reminds me in the same "spirit" of "Cold Cold World" by Teddy. His voice is the lead in all the vocal tracks except the ones where the lead is by Maysa Leak.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Spyder Turner records have always been popular on the NS scene,especially “I can’t make it any more” and “you’re good enough for me”(the other side of this one)but on “stand by me”he superbly impersonates other great vocalists inc.Robinson,Stewart,Ruffin and Chuck....

0B7723DA-1A08-4882-92FA-0803553E148D.jpeg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, MGM 1251 said:

Spyder Turner records have always been popular on the NS scene,especially “I can’t make it any more” and “you’re good enough for me”(the other side of this one)but on “stand by me”he superbly impersonates other great vocalists inc.Robinson,Stewart,Ruffin and Chuck....

0B7723DA-1A08-4882-92FA-0803553E148D.jpeg

Saw him live and was really disappointed with his performance.  All he seemed bothered about was his impersonation of others.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

When I said that Little Anthony is a great tenor with rich and diverse register, I referred to things like that (special attention to the bit between 50" and 1'):

When I purchased my copy of the album "Out Of Sight Out Of Mind", I played only this little bit one time and another…! Wow, THIS IS PURE OPERA!

Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

Saw him live and was really disappointed with his performance.  All he seemed bothered about was his impersonation of others.

Didn’t know it was part of his live act,I thought it was just for this song/record....shame really,beacause he has  a great voice...

Social source share

34 minutes ago, MGM 1251 said:

Didn’t know it was part of his live act,I thought it was just for this song/record....shame really,beacause he has  a great voice...

Yep, he was good don't get me wrong.  But we were expecting his northern stuff, which he previously had never done, all we got was basically a novelty act.  

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

46 minutes ago, chalky said:

Yep, he was good don't get me wrong.  But we were expecting his northern stuff, which he previously had never done, all we got was basically a novelty act.  

I was there that same night chalky,it was the fault of the promoter for not telling him what we were hoping to here him sing.When I spoke to her on the night she was quite disappointed that she had not gone through the routine with him. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I have way too many "favourite" male singers to choose 1 as the "best voice".  Ray Pollard, Nat "King" Cole, Arthur Prysock, Sonny Til, Clyde McPhatter, Sollie McElroy, Cornell Gunter, Jesse Belvin, Eugene Mumford, Sam Cooke, Richard Street, David Ruffin, Rudy West, Johnny Moore, Willie Winfield, Jackie Wilson. Lenny Welch, Willie Jones, Nate Nelson, Maithe Marshall, Freddie Scott, Jerry Butler, Rudy Lewis, Morris Chestnut, Cleve Duncan, Brook Benton.......etc.   I'm sure there are several more that I'd place right up there with these (many from the late 1940s and early 1950)s. 

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Nobody mentioned Al Green, Latimore, Artur Alexander ("Anna"!!!), Don Covay (so influential!),… Another one IMHO underrated is Frederic Knight… and some "nu-soul" singers many of them Stevie Wonder's imitators (or highly influenced  by him) as Rashaan Patterson or my favorite in this vocal range, Tony Momrelle from Incognito.

My favorite track by Spyder Turner is his cover of Rose Royce "It's The Love That You're After".

And a Philly vocalist I don't understand the reason why he never was a "First division" soul singer: ANTHONY WHITE (I only knows one album, a 45 that don't belongs to no one album, both on P.I.R. and a 12" on Salsoul; after that it seems he returned to sing gospel in the church…?). Here's a great song with excellent vocals:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Oscar Toney Junior, James Govan, Spencer Wiggins, Chuck Colbert, J Blackfoot, Wilson Pickett, Solomon Burke, Johnny Sayles, Johnny Adams, Bobby Bland, Otis Clay, David Sea, Ali Ollie Woodson, GC Cameron, Eddie Levert, Marvin Junior, William Bell, Johnnie Taylor, Tommy Tate, Jimmy Radcliffe, Bobby Harris, Hoagy Lands, Jimmy Robins, OV Wright, Howard Tate, Roscoe Robinson, Joe Valentine, Johnny Robinson, Freddie Scott, Willie Hobbs, Mighty Sam McClain, Joe Medwick, Willie Johnson, Ronnie Mitchell.....and Levi, Marvin and Sam of course, plus others i've temporarily forgot!.

So many great voices. The best? In my opinion Wilson Pickett had everything you would want from a Soul singer. Power, subtlety, great phrasing, timing, gruffness and a righteous, gospel tinged wail. Yep, he's number one but there are a fair few who are worthy contenders. 

Edited by westender
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 25/12/2018 at 11:40, josep manuel concernau robles said:

Nobody mentioned Al Green, Latimore, Artur Alexander ("Anna"!!!), Don Covay (so influential!),… Another one IMHO underrated is Frederic Knight… and some "nu-soul" singers many of them Stevie Wonder's imitators (or highly influenced  by him) as Rashaan Patterson or my favorite in this vocal range, Tony Momrelle from Incognito.

My favorite track by Spyder Turner is his cover of Rose Royce "It's The Love That You're After".

And a Philly vocalist I don't understand the reason why he never was a "First division" soul singer: ANTHONY WHITE (I only knows one album, a 45 that don't belongs to no one album, both on P.I.R. and a 12" on Salsoul; after that it seems he returned to sing gospel in the church…?). Here's a great song with excellent vocals:

Many a great singer on those Philly logo's like TSOP, WMOT unfortunatly lived in the shadow of Teddy Pendergrass.  David Morris and Booker Newbury from the group Sweet Thunder also spring to mind.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

47 minutes ago, still diggin said:

Many a great singer on those Philly logo's like TSOP, WMOT unfortunatly lived in the shadow of Teddy Pendergrass.  David Morris and Booker Newbury from the group Sweet Thunder also spring to mind.

PIR and subsidiaries, WMOT, Philly World, Philly Sound Works… those labels had some great talents as the ones you mentioned and the "blue-eyed soul - rock" David Lasley or Tom Grant, Cecil Parker (one of the best falsetto voices!), Ben Aiken and some lead singers of groups as Broadway Express or Qwikest Way Out.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 25/12/2018 at 05:40, josep manuel concernau robles said:

Anthony could never catch a break- his biggest U.S. hit was "Block Party" which was an instrumental version of his Salsoul 

12"  "I Can't Turn You Loose" .

Edited by the yank
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

PIR and subsidiaries, WMOT, Philly World, Philly Sound Works… those labels had some great talents as the ones you mentioned and the "blue-eyed soul - rock" David Lasley or Tom Grant, Cecil Parker (one of the best falsetto voices!), Ben Aiken and some lead singers of groups as Broadway Express or Qwikest Way Out.

Not sure who was lead on the broadway Express material, but Lloyd Parkes was in the group. Lloyd was also in the Blue Notes, the Emanons and also the Epsilons along with Mcfadden and Whitehead. Which reminds me, I have an unreleased promotional tape of Cecil Parker material I need to convert on to CD AS i have not listened to it!.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, still diggin said:

Not sure who was lead on the broadway Express material, but Lloyd Parkes was in the group. Lloyd was also in the Blue Notes, the Emanons and also the Epsilons along with Mcfadden and Whitehead. Which reminds me, I have an unreleased promotional tape of Cecil Parker material I need to convert on to CD AS i have not listened to it!.

Yup. When Otis in died The Epsilon's packed it in. Lloyd Parks joined Broadway Express, while John Whitehead and Gene McFadden formed The Talk Of The Town from the remnants of The Epsilon's.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!