Martin S

Worst Cover Version Ever? Any Genre

35 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

That's actually an improvement on the original.

Hehe..So is this by the Icelandic Punk Rock group Fraebbblarnir  taken from the 'False Death' E.P.

I actually had this on 45 in the early 80's and I have absolutely no idea what happened to it-  although that isn't necessarily a bad thing ..

Apparently the band is still active too!

15 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

Hehe..So is this by the Icelandic Punk Rock group Fraebbblarnir  taken from the 'False Death' E.P.

I actually had this on 45 in the early 80's and I have absolutely no idea what happened to it-  although that isn't necessarily a bad thing ..

Pretty awful.  This makes "The Witch" by The Rattles sound good!  Icelandic rock is crap.  Must be from never seeing The Sun.  🤬🤮🤮🤮

18 minutes ago, dave2 said:

Its comedy, but check out those harmonies...….  🙂

Bohemian Rhapsody is one of the most overrated songs of all time to begin with..I genuinely can't stand it personally.

It's pompous,obnoxious boastful corporate Rock with all of it's worst excesses but it always amazes me the negative reaction you receive when you inform certain people you don't actually like the track or Queen in particular.

I will say that Freddie Mercury did have a fairly decent voice but the music Queen made overall is pretty atrocious,self indulgent nonsense in my opinion.

'We Aren't The Champions' anybody?.. Hehe.

Edited by Soulsides

4 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

I think it's very much a marmite song - but essentially like marmite on toast after you've taken a bite only to find out your mate stuck his knob in the pot for a laugh before he made it.
Dx

FLololol.

"DaveNPete are the champions my friends".. 🏆

You've also won the internet for the rest of the day with this comment!  

Ain't nobody topping that ..and I mean nobody..

I seriously can't stop laughing.

19 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

I think it's very much a marmite song - but essentially like marmite on toast after you've taken a bite only to find out your mate stuck his knob in the pot for a laugh before he made it.
Dx

Careful or you'll end up with a yeast infection.

Edited by Steve S 60

5 hours ago, Soulsides said:

Vocalist is Mr Bean isn't it?

4 hours ago, Soulsides said:

It's pompous,obnoxious boastful corporate Rock with all of it's worst excesses but it always amazes me the negative reaction you receive when you inform certain people you don't actually like the track or Queen in particular. I will say that Freddie Mercury did have a fairly decent voice but the music Queen made overall is pretty atrocious,self indulgent nonsense in my opinion. 'We Aren't The Champions' anybody?.. Hehe.

They were absolute shit, unbearable, especially that shrill voice. More camp than a row of tents. 

Choice rock for the average estate agent who hadn't made the effort to listen to what Motorhead, Rainbow, and Thin Lizzy were up to. 

I picked up this album 'Discoballs- A Tribute To Pink Floyd' for a couple of quid about 20 years ago thinking it might be interesting.

It certainly was, although not in the way I wanted it to be..

Rosebud 'Have A Cigar'

Rosebud 'Arnold Layne' 

On 21/12/2018 at 09:01, Winsford Soul said:

What about the most over rated band in the world  ( Beatles) with any of their cover versions of Isley  brothers or other motown groups 

Steve 

What about the Stones and their appalling covers Just My Imagination  Ain t Too Proud To Beg  Fortune Teller and  Under The Boardwalk                                     David Moore

Just now, David Moore said:

What about the Stones and their appalling covers Just My Imagination  Ain t Too Proud To Beg  Fortune Teller and  Under The Boardwalk                                     David Moore

Dave.  It sounds like I'm lucky enough never to have heard them.  I've led a sheltered life. 

Steve 

The Communards  -  dont leave me this way

Soft Cell - tainted love (worst thing EVER)

On 23/12/2018 at 12:17, Martin S said:

I think this should have no trouble making the top 10

ABSOLUTELY

These kind of things made me hungry specially when the worst version is by ONE OF MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE ARTISTS.

For example: "Whitout You" by Billy Paul or "When Will I See You Again" by The O'Jays or "Sugar" by Wison Pickett or "Borriquito como tú" (originally by spanish gipsy "Peret") by Charo (also spanish) & The Salsoul Orchestra

On 19/12/2018 at 22:54, luxury soul said:

No explanation necessary 

Mr. Waterman again... I take it?  Wasn't aware of this version... why did you have to ruin a perfectly good day???!!!!    ( time to get on line - as its Sunday, and buy something to take the taste away. ... 🙂 )

3 minutes ago, Gazoor said:

Mr. Waterman again... I take it?  Wasn't aware of this version... why did you have to ruin a perfectly good day???!!!!    ( time to get on line - as its Sunday, and buy something to take the taste away. ... 🙂 )

try Absinthe, it works for me

On 26/12/2018 at 16:03, IanP said:

ABSOLUTELY

Soft Cell also did cover of Judy  Street s What , terrible  re Tainted Love Marc Almond had the nerve to slag off the scene which provided them their biggest hit

On 26 de diciembre de 2018 at 17:03, IanP said:

ABSOLUTELY

I'm agree, but what about the cover of "Don't Leave Me This Way" done by ex - Communard Sarah Jane Morris? IMHO is so  mellow… so "clean"… only guitar (by Mark Ribot, I think) and her voice, SUBLIME:

On 30/12/2018 at 14:49, Gazoor said:

MPeople were the partners in crime for that Kylie trash. Out of curiosity I just checked MPeople's credits as shown on Discogs and can hold up my head up high in stating I don't own a single production of theirs.

Edited by Martin S

17 minutes ago, soulatthedale said:

F*ck me, im not sure whether to laugh or cry!

I found it impossible not to laugh at Mrs. Miller but I'm wondering whether many readers who came on to this thread late have actually listened to the one I created it with, so here it is again. I challenge anyone to get through this without laughing.

Edited by Martin S

Posted (edited)
On 31/12/2018 at 19:58, David Moore said:

Soft Cell also did cover of Judy  Street s What , terrible  re Tainted Love Marc Almond had the nerve to slag off the scene which provided them their biggest hit

It always the same with Soft Cell and the Tainted Love cover which everyone seems to dislike intensely but nobody barely mentions the B-side of that record which is a total butchering of 'Where Did Our Love Go'. 

Soft Cell were also particularly dumb by recording industry standards in releasing a record which sold bucketloads and became a #1 hit in 17  different countries but contained cover versions on both sides,they would have earned some serious wedge in publishing royalties if they'd actually had the foresight to have included an original composition on the flipside of the single.

A harsh lesson learned there I should imagine. 

Ed Cobb probably loved that cover version though, hehe.

Edited by Soulsides

On 19/12/2018 at 23:10, Amsterdam Russ said:

Hello...

Thanks, now on the tinterweb looking for my own copy to go with my Sylvie Vartan (fabulous) covers.

25 minutes ago, Andi said:

Thanks, now on the tinterweb looking for my own copy to go with my Sylvie Vartan (fabulous) covers.

Likewise, I have a number of Sylvie Vartan covers in my collection - along with 45s of each of the tracks I’ve posted in this thread. 👍

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

One thing I hate is the "oversoulin'", this "forced" vocal style by some "blue-eyed" soul singers, for example, on the cover of Percy Sledge's "When A Man Loves A Woman" done by Michael Bolton

I've always despised his overblown  version of this Four Tops Classic - 

Edited by the yank

that thing by Robbie Williams/Trevor Horn, (Everybody wants to rule the world)  doing the rounds at the moment,  is pushing new boundaries of awful . 

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.