Nolan porter- if only I could be sure

Geeselad

As jim said early/mid 9ts-well known by collectors for years but revived by the much missed donacaster dj saus-i sold him his copy-around that time he was playing one of the best sets around-all the r&b stuff was coming through along with forgotten oldies and loads of other left field stuff-I wish some the dj's doing the rounds these days would do the same!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

People were buying the album for Keep on Keeping on and Oh Baby, at the time, I'm sure people believed it was the only way to get Oh Baby. I remember being quite surprised when I saw Oh Baby on a 45 for the first time. The Probe 45 of If Only...  came out quite a bit later than the album, and would have sold a lot more with Oh Baby on the flip, which had been played out quite a bit.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

This guy only made the one album, amazes me that three tracks were picked up for dance floor action.His background seems to be in rock music, his sister was married to Frank Zappa. He was due to do a Q&A at Blackpool in June, allegedly to tell tales based on hanging out with Zappa and his cronies, fortunately he didn't turn up.......no loss as far as I was concerned!

Tim.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Tim Richmond said:

This guy only made the one album, amazes me that three tracks were picked up for dance floor action.His background seems to be in rock music, his sister was married to Frank Zappa. He was due to do a Q&A at Blackpool in June, allegedly to tell tales based on hanging out with Zappa and his cronies, fortunately he didn't turn up.......no loss as far as I was concerned!

Tim.

Sorry mate he did 2 albums, one on Lizard before the ABC one.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

15 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

One of my lass' favourites, she confirms what you're saying here Steve! I can't say I remember it but spent most of my time in the car park.

Thanks mate. Thought it was there that I heard it first.  When Neil and Jackie Clowes used to run it. Great times. Thought it could have been Tony,s at first but decided on Keele.

Steve 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

I had the Lizard album. Did not rate most of the tracks.

'Sure' Certainly took off as part of the resurgence around millenia. 

Ed

It was a possible play at late saint's ? But was definitely  massive  at early lowton civic  soul night's. I do remember it  earlier from Keele as a nighter tune before it went mainstream soul club nights 

Steve 

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks mate. Thought it was there that I heard it first.  When Neil and Jackie Clowes used to run it. Great times. Thought it could have been Tony,s at first but decided on Keele.

Steve 

She says don't quote her on it being first play, she isn't saying that, just that it was a play there.

Dust off that old geetar propped up in the corner, main riff is A-F, then moves to C-D, strangely hypnotic relaxing riff to play!

This probably been posted before but...

Fantastic!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

4 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

She says don't quote her on it being first play, she isn't saying that, just that it was a play there.

Dust off that old geetar propped up in the corner, main riff is A-F, then moves to C-D, strangely hypnotic relaxing riff to play!

Never quoted a lady in my life, would get you in to much trouble :D and I can do that without any help from anyone :hatsoff2:

Steve 

Social source share

On 22/12/2018 at 14:44, Winsford Soul said:

Steve 

I played it at Tony's mid 90's Steve 95 or 96, about 5 people danced to it ... a few months later and it was packing the dance floors.

It wasn't as if it was an unknown at the time I played it, but there were a fair few on the scene at the time who didn't know it. But it did get hammered and I ended up giving my copy to somebody who wanted a copy to give his wife for a present.

Edited by martyn pitt
smelling eror
Social source share

9 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

I played it at Tony's mid 90's Steve 95 or 96, about 5 people danced to it ... a few months later and it was packing the dance floors.

I wasn't as if it was an unknown at the time I played it, but there were a fair few on the scene at the time who didn't know it. But it did get hammered and I ended up giving my copy to somebody who wanted a copy to give his wife for a present.

Thanks Martyn.  I thought I had heard it at Tony,s but wasn't too sure.  I knew someone older :P and wiser :hatsoff2:than me would know.  

Steve 

Social source share

On 24/12/2018 at 14:02, modernsoulsucks said:

Sounds like Three Dog Night to me.

Awful 

You didn't say that too me when you sold me a copy in aflex rod😊. If you you had a mint demo of 

'You don't want me no more"  for the same price, I was uming and ring over. I've had loads of chances to get Nolan since but Mr Lance has since shot out of my reach. I quite like Three Dog Night anyway. 😁

Edited by geeselad
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

For me this record sums up everything thats been wrong with the scene over the last 20 years, not a bad tune but overplayed in the extreme and still probably packing the floor to this day (although I don't know for sure as haven't frequented any venues that would play it for a long time)

Familiarity breeds contempt as they say...

Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve L said:

For me this record sums up everything thats been wrong with the scene over the last 20 years, not a bad tune but overplayed in the extreme and still probably packing the floor to this day (although I don't know for sure as haven't frequented any venues that would play it for a long time)

Familiarity breeds contempt as they say...

Played out at shirebook the other month (req) get your self over in the new year all the best jazz 

Edited by jazz
Social source share

Was played by myself at "Cleethorpes Pier All Niters" And "Winter Gardens" Too, As was "Oh Baby" So that was quite early so defo played '75 onwards, Soul bowl buy as a  New release Lp From '72, Keep on Keeping on played too off Lizard 45 which was Earlier ('71) although included on the "Nolan" LP.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 22/12/2018 at 07:55, Kegsy said:

What always surprised me with the LP were the inclusion of Singer Man and and Grooving Out On Life, two originally reggae cuts .

Producer Gabriel Mekler had already done "Groovin' ... " with Frederick the II in 1971. He probably recycled the track or it 

could even be the same song- the vocals are very similar. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Alltime favourite of mine. Such a great tune. Haunting guitar riff and silk vocals. I love it. One of many non-traditional sounding records played in the 90s that became massive.

It was definitely played at Cleethorpes w/ender around 95-ish. I didn't attend but my wife did, she heard it played there.

I used to hammer it here in Munich in the late 90s, first off the ABC mono 45. Later on I played the LP stereo version which I think sounds much better.

Paul Weller's take is not a patch on the original. Good production, from a rather general point of view. But when compared to the original, no chance.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 27/12/2018 at 13:22, RICK SCOTT said:

Was played by myself at "Cleethorpes Pier All Niters" And "Winter Gardens" Too, As was "Oh Baby" So that was quite early so defo played '75 onwards, Soul bowl buy as a  New release Lp From '72, Keep on Keeping on played too off Lizard 45 which was Earlier ('71) although included on the "Nolan" LP.

I wonder why koko was not on the Lizard LP?

Ed

Social source share

Rediscovered in the mid 90’s. One of the biggest spins by the late 90’s. Hammered to death in the Noughties - by now a poppy-soul sound featured everywhere, filling the floors up and down the country. Can’t believe it’s still being discussed, let alone played, at the end of the Teenies decade. Funny how a slightly different different record gathers a cult following. I think records by Terry Callier (Ordinary Joe) and Les Mc Cann (Sad Little Girl) did much to popularise mid-pace tunes such as If Only I Could Be Sure. That said, Nolan’s record is very common and a staple in every Wannabe DJ’s box which perhaps explains why it hasn’t gone away yet.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 24/12/2018 at 15:02, modernsoulsucks said:

Sounds like Three Dog Night to me.

Awful !

Always did the same effect to me. Sounds like a rock group trying to reach the Pop crowd with some 'bluesy' touch sounding that; not soul ! Had them all in multiples (promos, UK's, French's..) since it was an easy pick-up (hit record) for the crate diggers and an easy seller. Never kept a copy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!