Roburt's profile photo

Great World Of Sound -- Atlanta & Miami

Look At Your Box Roburt

Posted

Is much known about this record company & it's modus operandi ........ it operated out of two bases and seemed to license in some of it's releases, while other stuff appeared to be in-house production efforts. Linked to Bill Staith and Opus VII out of Ohio ... so it spread it's influence across a fair bit of the US ....

The soul & funk it put out (which is of most interest to us) seemed to be a small part of it's remit; loads of pop, rock & country too (so may have also had contacts in Nashville).   

GWSmont.jpg

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Is much known about this record company & it's modus operandi ........ it operated out of two bases and seemed to license in some of it's releases, while other stuff appeared to be in-house production efforts. Linked to Bill Staith and Opus VII out of Ohio ... so it spread it's influence across a fair bit of the US ....

The soul & funk it put out (which is of most interest to us) seemed to be a small part of it's remit; loads of pop, rock & country too (so may have also had contacts in Nashville).   

GWSmont.jpg

Not much yet but I found this link

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yygEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA18&lpg=PA18&dq=GWS,+Recording+Corp.+Of+America.++miami&source=bl&ots=oyaA5DqSv1&sig=rbjWe8RTap2vwj7_C8EUpssEQDA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwizhOjHnLbfAhWLVBUIHVw0A4oQ6AEwB3oECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=GWS%2C Recording Corp. Of America. miami&f=false

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Thanks for that (copy of ad attached) .... guess they were morphing from Miami based Twin Record Productions into Great World of Sound in 1972 and this was their national pitch for material. Didn't realise they'd had an office on the Florida gulf coast too back then, though the ad does confirm their connection to Miami, Ohio & Nashville. I guess the Atlanta side of their operation came later ... 

Talking of the Atlanta end of things; Calvin Arnold (out of Atlanta) also got involved with GWS via the Pendulum Swingers & Case Band 45 "Never Should Have Loved You Baby" which initially escaped on the Atlanta night club's Pendulum label (where I guess the Case Band were the resident musicians). That link would most likely just have been via a licensing deal though.

Seems they were making claims that their actual skills didn't ever achieve; no gold discs, not even any hits and no cuts placed with major labels (that I am aware of) either. Their claim to provide the US's best indie promotion & distribution service also rings hollow as just about all the 45's on the label seem to be in short supply (even the rubbish stuff).

GWSad.jpg

Edited by Roburt

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Seems I did them a disservice ... they did place some country artists with majors -- Decca & the like ...  

BillStith70s.jpg

BillStith70sAd.jpg

GWSad2.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

First local label release

57F3F40E-B8FD-440D-A1E6-7A9D6A717D38.thumb.jpeg.a7c266ffa178b942671b76cdcbaacb46.jpeg

soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.