Important Anniversary Today. (Boxing Day)

OK, so yesterday was a huge day for soul music, with the death of James Brown in 2006.

Today, however, is a more important day. (My Opinion)

In 1999 we said our farewells to the legend that was the great Curtis Mayfield. Singer, Songwriter, Producer, Civil Rights Activist, and former member of The Impressions.

In 2010 we said our goodbyes to Tamla Motown and Stax (amongst other labels) Singer, Songwriter, Arranger and Producer, Teena Marie,

And in 2012 we said goodbye to Chess legend, singer Fontella Bass.

However, with the sorrowful Boxing Day anniversaries out the way, there's something on a much less solemn but brighter note.

Today is the 83rd birthday of Tamla Motown legend, Abdul "Duke" Fakir. Founder member of the original Four Tops, along with Levi Stubbs, Lawrence Payton and Renaldo "Obie" Benson, and the sole survivor.

I'm sure everyone will join me in wishing "Duke" Many Happy Returns Of The Day for today, and long may they continue.

I chose this song to celebrate the great man's birthday, basically because it's what brought them to the party, though they didn't really bop their way into the UK charts until the following year, with I Can't Help Myself.

The Four Tops - Baby I Need Your Loving - 1965, Motown.

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Changed topic header
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Agree with all your sentiments..except James Brown. Great music but he was a c$@t. I’m a huge Tammi Terrell fan and when I read about what he’d done to her..never played another James Brown record. His death not a bad thing in my opinion..weak man to physically abuse a woman... Again..agree with all the rest of your sentiments.

best

Matt

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

James Brown made some great music, soul and crossover not just the funk.  Many artists had faults, many of them not too good. Many spending time in jail. 

Well said.

Couldn't agree more.I was listening to the Phil Spector Xmas album yesterday for example which in my opinion is the greatest set of Christmas songs ever recorded.

And yeah, everyone and their dog knows that Spector is a total POS but it doesn't detract from the quality of the music he produced for me,personally.

Same goes for this which is not only a killer track from J.B. but part of Hip Hop history @  04.21 when Kool Herc extracted the legendary break 

No words needed for the brilliance of this fella though!

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, DUFUS said:

Agree with all your sentiments..except James Brown. Great music but he was a c$@t. I’m a huge Tammi Terrell fan and when I read about what he’d done to her..never played another James Brown record. His death not a bad thing in my opinion..weak man to physically abuse a woman... Again..agree with all the rest of your sentiments.

best

Matt

I'm not a fan of James Brown either. The only songs of his I have are on compilation albums.

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

Well said.

Couldn't agree more.I was listening to the Phil Spector Xmas album yesterday for example which in my opinion is the greatest set of Christmas songs ever recorded.

And yeah, everyone and their dog knows that Spector is a total POS but it doesn't detract from the quality of the music he produced for me,personally.

Same goes for this which is not only a killer track from J.B. but part of Hip Hop history @  04.21 when Kool Herc extracted the legendary break 

No words needed for the brilliance of this fella though!

I agree with what you say about Phil Spector's Christmas album. I also agree with what you say about him as a person too. But, like chalky says about James Brown, a lot of people do like his music, and he's quite correct when he says that many musicians and singers have their faults.

Incidentally, it's his 79th birthday today too.

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Added info
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!