Gladys Knight Motown 45 ?????

The Yank

I spotted this on e-bay- it appears to be a foreign pressing using the Soul release # on a Motown label 45. The logo looks a little off and I've never seen 

a ".... Motown  Record Corp. , Michigan " on a label.(bottom right edge).  Does anyone know what country released this ???

ft 2.jpg

Edited by the yank
Social source share

I have some old Philippines motown 45s that use this map design, i'll have look tomorrow and see if they look like this.

Edit - curiosity got me so i went and had a look and i think it is Philippines. It would say around the bottom Mfg in the Philippines by Mareco Inc. Quezon City. Under license of Motown Record Corp Michigan

Edited by alan t
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Without seeing the full text on the bottom of the record label itself, it's difficult to say exactly, however, if the sleeve is to be believed and is genuine, it's from The Sound Of Young America, Album Favourites series, from 1971 onwards.

Does the vendor on Ebay state what the flip side is?.

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Added info
Social source share

29 minutes ago, the yank said:

The flip side is "Cloud Nine" which would be the same as the U.S. Soul label release.

The numbers are correct too, both the S-35068 and the N-K-N 684M01. They both match the Soul release, and the white label promo copy. The bits that don't look right, are (a) the sleeve, you look at the state of the record label, which is way short of mint, and then you look at the sleeve, and it looks new. Not a fold in it, not a tear, and (b) the text on the bottom is totally wrong for a US issue. I think that it's a foreign pressing (almost certainly asian), and there is text before the text visible on the photo. The only way to know for sure is to contact the vendor and ask for a photo with the record removed from the sleeve. I certainly haven't anything like it in my motown collection.

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Added info
Social source share

58 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

The numbers are correct too, both the S-35068 and the N-K-N 684M01. They both match the Soul release, and the white label promo copy. The bits that don't look right, are (a) the sleeve, you look at the state of the record label, which is way short of mint, and then you look at the sleeve, and it looks new. Not a fold in it, not a tear, and (b) the text on the bottom is totally wrong for a US issue. I think that it's a foreign pressing (almost certainly asian), and there is text before the text visible on the photo. The only way to know for sure is to contact the vendor and ask for a photo with the record removed from the sleeve. I certainly haven't anything like it in my motown collection.

Now if you look really really carefully at that photo, on the right hand side, on the edge of the label, in amongst the map, and after the word "Michigan" it says USA. With that being up above the halfway point of the record, I would say almost for sure that it's a Philippines pressing as alan t said previously. The text around the outside of pressings there kind of runs from 10 o'clock through to 2 o'clock. Like this example 

r-dean-taylor-indiana-wants-me-motown-2-s.jpg

As for the sleeve, you make your your own mind.

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Added info
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!