Andyontherock profile photo

Northern does swing

Freebasing Andyontherock

Posted

Too much time over the Christmas break and started listening to different versions of our popular and beloved soul tracks.

I was pretty amazed at how many "Swing" versions there are out there. Whether they are the original version or cover versions.

I will start you off with a couple of examples and its up to you to find some more, you never know someone might make a compilation lp with them on.

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Call Me was never a soul record to start with, it was written by Tony Hatch and originally recorded by Petula Clark.  When it was when it was covered by Chris Montez, its production was akin to the Eddie Bishop version.  Always classed this as a more of a Jazz record as I remember Call me being played on Jazz radio shows then I was young. 

For me its always been abount the production and delivery of a song that makes it Soul, not where it originally came from or what happened after it was first recorded.

Edited by John Reed

Share this source music forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.