Show us your great photos (2019)

Amsterdam Russ

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thank you kind sir.:thumbup: Trust you and the lovely Shelly are well :hatsoff2:

Steve

Yes we both good steve 👍 its the big one for you this sat int it ? Springfield ?? Av a top weekend and happy birthday YOUNG sir 🎉 love to you both Xx av a gooden

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

John. I've no more likes left mate at moment.  What camera did you end up with  ? 

Steve 

I bought the Panasonic Lumix fz82. Think its going to be a good buy when i get the hang of it. Been out a couple of times with it and the light wasn't great but still managed to get a few nice photos. Fingers crossed i'll be posting more after the weekend.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Pictures please Josep  especially of the Orioles

Steve 

Sorry. By now I only have my old Zenith analogycal… hope I can buy a decent digital compact or reflex very soon… or have the luck to see a oriole very close for to capture it with my cellular phone…! 

Edited by josep manuel concernau robles
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Andy.

Goosander and Mandarin are quite common place these days mate. Even see Goosander on my local park lake at Bogart hole clough

Steve 

Steve

First time I've seen them on the river bollin. Have seen Goosander's before and only a glimpse of a Mandarin. They did fly off  while I was trying to get a bit closer 🙂

Edited by soulandy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 02/02/2019 at 13:58, Winsford Soul said:

Just got home from a 4 hour stint hoping to see probably the rarest bird in the UK at the moment. A  Blyths reed warbler.  im not a twitcher and dont normally  go chasing after birds so this is something way out of the ordinary for me but it was a once in life time chance and it was very near Pennington flash . I caught a slight glimpse of it in the brambles but no photograph. It's that rare people had travelled from Suffolk and the Midlands to see it. A picture of some of the twitchers. 

Steve 

20190202_101525.jpg

I've been informed today that it's probably the first time one has been recorded in not just the U.K. but in the whole of Europe in January/ February . It should actually be in India. 

Steve 

Social source share

On 02/02/2019 at 13:58, Winsford Soul said:

Just got home from a 4 hour stint hoping to see probably the rarest bird in the UK at the moment. A  Blyths reed warbler.  im not a twitcher and dont normally  go chasing after birds so this is something way out of the ordinary for me but it was a once in life time chance and it was very near Pennington flash . I caught a slight glimpse of it in the brambles but no photograph. It's that rare people had travelled from Suffolk and the Midlands to see it. A picture of some of the twitchers. 

Steve 

20190202_101525.jpg

That really does tell a story. Reminds me of some folk watching a piece of plastic go round and round 🙂 Great picture

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, soulandy said:

That really does tell a story. Reminds me of some folk watching a piece of plastic go round and round 🙂 Great picture

Andy . There where as many people out of the picture, mooching about mate.

I was going to say they're mad yet I did it myself and I'm going back this week because of another bird I've never photographed before has turned up. A Black Redstart . ( male ) 

Steve 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I was going to say they're mad yet I did it myself and I'm going back this week because of another bird I've never photographed before has turned up. A Black Redstart . ( male ) 

Steve 

Yeh, I can believe it. When in Scotland a couple of years back, quite a lot turned up near to where we were staying in Kilchoan as there was sightings of a couple of Corncrake that had turned up. Yes we did have a listen out for it but nothing

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve 

I remember in the first 80's, when I was aged between 18 - 20 years old and ornithological excursions were so frequent . An english friend of a friend also a birds expert (he was a high school natural science teacher) come with us to Delta de l'Ebre (Tarragona) were we can see many typical birds of this environment (from gulls to ducks, flamingos,…) and when we saw a "morito", Glossy ibis in english ("capó reial" in catalonian, Plegadis falcinellus) he go crazy jumping and exclaiming "Moritooooo, moritooooo!!!! Por fin ('finally')!!!"… he saw a "morito" for the first time in his entire life. He was aged around 20-25 oder than us and dedicated to the birds all his life! After that we came to the Port de Tortosa-beseit mountains (very next to the delta) and he was also fortunate to see two Bonelli's eagles, male and female, a raptor I can see many times on my hometown.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Twoshoes said:

Minding my own business repairing a shutter at work today when this little fella flew into the back of the wagon, perched itself on one of the parcels and decided to sit on my shoulder, lucky for me the apprentice was stood outside the truck and just had time to take the photograph before it flew out... and no not as someone has aid I'm not wearing a new wig of overdone it with the Grecian 2000 it's a wooly hat

me and the bird.png

Brilliant.  Looks like a Grey wagtail on my mobile phone  but the tail doesn't look long enough . Must start using the laptop to look at photographs properly 

Steve 

Social source share

1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

Brilliant.  Looks like a Grey wagtail on my mobile phone  but the tail doesn't look long enough . Must start using the laptop to look at photographs properly

It was quite a fat little thing Steve, I tried to edit the photo so the bird was clearer this was the best I could manage. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Minding my own business repairing a shutter at work today when this little fella flew into the back of the wagon, perched itself on one of the parcels and decided to sit on my shoulder, lucky for me the apprentice was stood outside the truck and just had time to take the photograph before it flew out... 

bird.jpg.151af76893cbbd31c008ef61ca739ada.jpg

I tried to correct the colour balance and crop it a bit, it looks like a female or young Chaffinch to me, could possibly be female or young Greenfinch, unusual to see them land on you.

I have had several birds perch on my lens or tripod leg, but as soon as I attempt to move to get a shot with my phone they are gone

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, martyn pitt said:

bird.jpg.151af76893cbbd31c008ef61ca739ada.jpg

I tried to correct the colour balance and crop it a bit, it looks like a female or young Chaffinch to me, could possibly be female or young Greenfinch, unusual to see them land on you.

I have had several birds perch on my lens or tripod leg, but as soon as I attempt to move to get a shot with my phone they are gone

Does look like a finch now that you cropped it mate,  so hard to tell on my phone. 

Spent another 3 fruiitless hours today looking for the Blyths reed warbler. Along with people who had travelled from Heathrow and North Yorkshire

Amazingly heard a Chiffchaff territory calling in the 1st week in February,  some real hardcore twitchers couldn't believe it. 

Looking forward to seeing you both on Saturday night mate

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, martyn pitt said:

unusual to see them land on you.

This one seemed to have no fear Martyn, we were outside the workshop when the driver waiting for his truck suddenly said where did that come from, when I turned around the bird was perched on one of the parcels, it flew out of the back of the truck onto the drum store roof, sat there for a few seconds then flew back into the truck and perched about two feet behind me on another parcel, I started to talk to it and it flew toward me landing on my shoulder, the apprentice just got the photo before it flew off, when I went inside to show the lads the photo our female mechanic who was working on an engine said it had landed near her ten minutes earlier and been flying around the workshop. I'd have been gutted if it had flown off before Harry the apprentice had the chance to take the photo, I'm sure it will certainly never happen again.    

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:43, Winsford Soul said:

Steve 

I see them daily Steve, even had one eating suet on the balcony last week.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 14/01/2019 at 12:50, flamingemeralds said:

And here is my late grandad's "gazebo", specially constructed out of....anything .... Story goes, in high winds, bits of it would fly off into other people's gardens and the following day the neighbours would happily return them so that grandad could rebuild it.  It wasn't joined together, just constructed of strategically placed pieces of wood, corrugated sheeting and odds and sods, to shelter his pride and joy. What a guy. God bless you Grandad. 

IMG_20190114_173944927-01.jpeg

IMG_20190114_173930236-01.jpeg

Like the shed, whatever happened to his motorcycle?

Social source share