Show us your great photos (2019)

Amsterdam Russ

36 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I was at Willington soul club last Saturday night. Are Willington gravel pits close by ? 

Steve 

Here's where it is Steve. https://www.derbyshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/nature-reserves/willington-gravel-pits

First time I've been there today, brilliant site, loads of Cetti's, cuckoo,whitethroats, etc. spent 3 hours wandering around there. 

I'll have to get to Willington soul club !

Mike

• Up vote 1
Social source share

34 minutes ago, veedub said:

Here's where it is Steve. https://www.derbyshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/nature-reserves/willington-gravel-pits

First time I've been there today, brilliant site, loads of Cetti's, cuckoo,whitethroats, etc. spent 3 hours wandering around there. 

I'll have to get to Willington soul club !

Mike

Thanks Mike. Will definitely have to go and have a look 

Steve

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

And I also saw...

Oystercatchers

_DSC6572-web.jpg.1290d2e86766c9d6ffa2799ba50fa2d8.jpg

Ducks in flight

_DSC6589-web.jpg.e6ef4d1b46354db43cc5b62de3f16141.jpg

_DSC6575-web.jpg.387c887005631841cb19f7cf432b46d6.jpg

Frogs - singing a full-on frog chorus!

_DSC6629-web.thumb.jpg.cd64e9d0d619fc54d069555e8fac828a.jpg

And hares

_DSC6657-web.jpg.f4541fa2a2e61948d6b423788d3db467.jpg

One thing I didn't get a photo of was a little grebe. It could sense me as soon as I approached the pool it was in (no hides anywhere in the woods, unfortunately) and would dive and swim away to safety. Next time, maybe.

What a day Russell !!!

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Great series of pictures Russell.  Definitely looks like a Sedge Warbler mate. The wide  buff coloured stripe above the eye is very visible and distinctive 

Steve 

Cheers, Steve. Warblers and waders - two groups of birds I've never been good at identifying, even in my days as a member of the Young Ornithologists Club! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

All well 'n' good thanks Steve.

I'm still in 'cloud cuckoo' land having just returned home from a fabulous holiday - Disney was great fun but exhausting, so was glad to head to Clearwater for a few days. I say 'cloud cuckoo' land as to be able to have a holiday like that after 20 years of Whitby every year is amazing!

Ref photography, I have to admit, I never really saw the 'skill' in it. As far as I was concerned, you just point a camera and press the button :huh: Yeh sorry about that folkz! I now know that there is more to it - Focus etc etc aside, the fun bit, well skill really, is what is behind the shot, the waiting, and of course capturing a 'moment'.

The sunset picture looks even better when seen straight from my phone camera than on this larger computer screen - Can anyone tell me why?

All the best,

Len 'David Bailey' Dopson :thumbsup: :D

Social source share

5 hours ago, LEN said:

All well 'n' good thanks Steve.

I'm still in 'cloud cuckoo' land having just returned home from a fabulous holiday - Disney was great fun but exhausting, so was glad to head to Clearwater for a few days. I say 'cloud cuckoo' land as to be able to have a holiday like that after 20 years of Whitby every year is amazing!

Ref photography, I have to admit, I never really saw the 'skill' in it. As far as I was concerned, you just point a camera and press the button :huh: Yeh sorry about that folkz! I now know that there is more to it - Focus etc etc aside, the fun bit, well skill really, is what is behind the shot, the waiting, and of course capturing a 'moment'.

The sunset picture looks even better when seen straight from my phone camera than on this larger computer screen - Can anyone tell me why?

All the best,

Len 'David Bailey' Dopson :thumbsup: :D

Len ' David Bailey ' Dopson.  It's called pixelation.  Your phone screen is small and  made up of so many pixels , where as your computer screen is much larger with many more pixels.  Basically your spreading and stretching the pixels which causes the blurd picture on the pc screen.  

Take the picture on the computer and it will look stunning on the phone 🤣🤣🤣

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Widnes63 said:

What's Hamble ?

Courtesy of Wikipedia...

Hamble was a little doll and one of the original five toys but dropped from the show during the 1980s to be replaced by Poppy. According to Joy Whitby, creator of Play School, Hamble was chosen as representative of a more "downtrodden", humble background than the “middle-class” associations that the teddy bears had. She was disliked by presenters as she could not be cuddled.

According to the BBC website Chloe Ashcroft "did a terrible thing to Hamble. She just would not sit up...so one day I got a very big knitting needle, a big wooden one, and I stuck it right up her bum, as far as her head. So she was completely rigid, and she was much much better after that." (This was mentioned in a BBC Radio 4 programme called Trumpton Riots, available on YouTube.) In the edition called Through The Arched Window (in which the Radio Times said that Chloe Ashcroft would be interviewed and wasn't) the knitting needle incident was mentioned, however the person admitting to it was Julie Stevens.

Poppy, a black doll who replaced Hamble in November 1986, in response to changing attitudes in society (the Hamble doll was also getting rather fragile at this point.)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_School_(UK_TV_series)

Best pic I could find... Hamble is on the right...

hamble.jpg.a8f4107c0be9aae706da24968cdb50f7.jpg

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
Image added
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I stand corrected! I had no idea that there was a Poppy.  You just never know when I might need that information.  Your knowledge of Play School characters leaves me humbled, or Hambled in this case 🤔😉😊

Social source share

11 hours ago, flamingemeralds said:

It's Hamble 🙄

Don't you think I did research first? I knew it wasn't Hamble, but couldn't ever remember another doll.  The "choose your window" bit came from a night in Osnabruck where I was seeing the pre Midge (Man)Ure Ultravox perform and was asked by some obnoxious paratrooper to do just that, and his intention was to throw me out of it.  Needless to say I saw the performance end, and he didn't.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Sunday afternoon in the sun watching the mighty clarets take on the nodding donkeys.

A walk in the park with the family.

And the wild garlic in full bloom. I often pick some to accompany whatever i`m planning on for dinner. 

Accrington Town Hall Saturday night.

You have got to love this weather!

20190428_142849.jpg

20190429_151557.jpg

20190429_151633.jpg

20190430_104548.jpg

Social source share