Show us your great photos (2019)

Amsterdam Russ

10 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Early yesterday evening - looking towards Molyvos harbour on the Greek island of Lesvos.

02E90C4F-66A1-48DC-BEE5-5B507AF1D3E9.thumb.jpeg.d02aae86dacbd95aaec6b2c91d466989.jpeg

It was a bit overcast and breezy, but expecting things to brighten up today. 

We holidayed there about 30 years ago, completely unspoiled and amazing island, in fact we stayed at a very similar point as in your photo. It was at the time one of their hottest summers on record. I`d love to go back to see how much it`s changed.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve Lane said:

We holidayed there about 30 years ago, completely unspoiled and amazing island, in fact we stayed at a very similar point as in your photo. It was at the time one of their hottest summers on record. I`d love to go back to see how much it`s changed.

It’s 10 years since our first visit and in that time it’s hardly changed at all. The biggest change has been the dramatic decline in tourist numbers since the refugee crisis.

And even a few years on, people we know here are saying this is the worst start to a season they’ve ever known. Given that tourism in Molyvos was down by 80% about three years ago, that’s something to be feared at the local level. Still, as always, folks here remain ever optimistic and take a long-term view. 

Here’s hoping that optimism is justified.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

It’s 10 years since our first visit and in that time it’s hardly changed at all. The biggest change has been the dramatic decline in tourist numbers since the refugee crisis.

And even a few years on, people we know here are saying this is the worst start to a season they’ve ever known. Given that tourism in Molyvos was down by 80% about three years ago, that’s something to be feared at the local level. Still, as always, folks here remain ever optimistic and take a long-term view. 

Here’s hoping that optimism is justified.

Do they still have 2 prices in shops and cafes, one price for tourists and one for locals? I found that quite funny but typically Greek.

Social source share

13 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

Do they still have 2 prices in shops and cafes, one price for tourists and one for locals? I found that quite funny but typically Greek.

Never experienced or seen that at all. Never heard of any tourist have that happen to them here - and I belong to a sizeable Molyvos Facebook group. 👍

Social source share

14 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Blackcap  ( male  )

Taken at Pennington flash in the lovely morning sunshine 

Steve 

2019-05-25_07-25-16.jpg

Fairly sure not all Blackcaps migrate.Must be warmer winters.Nice piccy.

Social source share

1 hour ago, NCFC said:

Fairly sure not all Blackcaps migrate.Must be warmer winters.Nice piccy.

Thanks mate.  Yeah there's a few that over winter in different parts of the country according to the reports. 

I'm sure Martyn Pitt on here has had a pair of them in his Midlands garden  through the winter

Steve 

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks mate.  Yeah there's a few that over winter in different parts of the country according to the reports. 

I'm sure Martyn Pitt on here has had a pair of them in his Midlands garden  through the winter

Steve 

Good to see you and Martyn last night at Bury town hall, very rare for the three of us to be in the same room,

That was a great photo opportunity missed.

Ste.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Widnes63 said:

Good to see you and Martyn last night at Bury town hall, very rare for the three of us to be in the same room,

That was a great photo opportunity missed.

Ste.

Cheers mate.  Always good to see you and catch up. 

Martyn n Carol Pitt had to rush off back to Lilliput. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

A mate has a Yacht at Conwy and we had a fab day out last year around Puffin Island and Anglesey.....

DSC01865.JPG

DSC01880.JPG

DSC01871.JPG

DSC01873.JPG

Gaz hope you and Debs are both well, nice photos mate, any idea what the building and chimneys were used for ?

Social source share

3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Cheers mate.  Always good to see you and catch up. 

Martyn n Carol Pitt had to rush off back to Lilliput. 

Was warned cannot use photos from Soul Events . We did well at Accrington Town Hall. 

200+ attending sound sytem after few tweaks perfection.  

Social source share

1 minute ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

Was warned cannot use photos from Soul Events . We did well at Accrington Town Hall. 

200+ attending sound sytem after few tweaks perfection.  

Glad to hear that you had a good night, wanted to visit but already arranged to catch up with some friends . 

Maybe next time.  

There was no intention to post any photos from last night mate. Save them for the gallery.  Not that I ever take the camera to soul nights or nighters, strictly nature photographs for me

Steve 

Social source share

5 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve 

Yes seen them here in Norfolk during winter.Saw a swallow on December the 4th 2018😮 was that surprised i remembered date.

Thought no way it would survive being from a possible late brood but turns out it was a red rumped swallow.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

It was over 30 years ago, mainly the cafe`s and restaurants, but I assure you it was there Russ:thumbsup:.

Thankfully the situation changed somewhere in that time. It’s all very open and honest here with restaurants being obliged to advise in their menus that if you don’t get a proper bill, you’re not obliged to pay. They’re also obliged by law to tell you if anything on the menu is being cooked from frozen rather than fresh. Hardly anything is frozen, but it’s always good to know so you can make an informed decision. 👍

Social source share

2 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Efcharisto. We had aubergine purée followed by a dish of small fried fish (red bream) for me and a grilled red snapper for my other half, washed down with a very nice bottle of dry white made in Limnos. 👍

It wouldn't do for me Russ, apart from the aubergine purée and the wine, I used to do a bit of island hoping, and find myself answering the Spanish in Greek (I put it down to old age and alcohol).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 29/05/2019 at 09:46, Soulfulmerlin said:

Was right pissed off .

No matter how well I slashed it . Just couldn't bag a goal 

20190528_220854.jpg

Classy!

Social source share

1 hour ago, Flamingemeralds said:

Morecambe Bay yesterday evening.

IMG_20190601_195656023~2.jpg

I just told my daughter that my photo had two votes and she said "Wow!? Really?! That's more than the Conservatives?".. 😂

Social source share