Show us your great photos (2019)

Amsterdam Russ

2 hours ago, Philippe said:

It's almost too perfect !

zzzzzzzzzz.png

Looks like a trail camera that shoots video has been used to me then frames downloaded  and stiched together and Photoshop or other editing software used to complete the picture. Its just to perfect. Perfectly framed, ( I know that can be cropped )  Flat calm lake, blue sky. Fluffy clouds  Sun burst over right wing,   But what do i know , 

Steve ( the cynical ) Smith 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Looks like a trail camera that shoots video has been used to me then frames downloaded  and stiched together and Photoshop or other editing software used to complete the picture. Its just to perfect. Perfectly framed, ( I know that can be cropped )  Flat calm lake, blue sky. Fluffy clouds  Sun burst over right wing,   But what do i know , 

Steve ( the cynical ) Smith 

From the entry guidelines for the competition...

ADJUSTMENT THAT ARE NOT ALLOWED
Composites and sandwich shots that add elements.
Removing elements from the scene.
Use of the cloning, stamping, and healing brush tools.
Stitching for panoramic.
Multiple exposures that are not a part of a focus-stacked image
HDR composites.
The use of artistic digital filters and effects which do not show
the scene in its natural way.
All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as
it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard adjustments
will be disqualified.

Source: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vG07USON6Bvo_Z4wfAnbYDfh5sRNYyt1/view

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thanks Russell.  Only on my mobile so couldn't get all the information.  Would love to have the picture details and story behind it. 

Had a search for info about the pic and found this brief description in a press release put out by the organisers of the competition...

This year’s Grand Prize image, titled “Black Grouse Showing Off” by photographer Audun Rikardsen of Tromsø, Norway, provides a glimpse at the showy display of a black grouse looking to impress female birds from atop his coastal lookout. Rikardsen spent three years preparing for the shot, and while his original goal was to photograph majestic golden eagles, it was a happy coincidence that this charismatic grouse frequently returned and became comfortable in front of the camera. Rikardsen, who grew up in a small Norwegian fishing community, draws inspiration from his lifelong fascination with the Artic’s rugged landscape and wildlife.

Source: https://www.calacademy.org/press/releases/winning-images-from-the-academys-annual-bigpicture-photography-competition-announced

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Just been looking at the website of the competition winner, Audun Rikardsen. All I can say is WOW - amazing photos!!

Website here: www.audunrikardsen.com

They're incredible!  😯.  Almost as good as the ones on here 😉 😂

Social source share

It's a bit like looking into another world? Beautifully surreal. The colours, light, texture, movement.  It's better than eyesight, and that's a difficult concept to grasp. You think that the human eye captures the raw essence of everything it sees, but when you look at those photos...it's a whole new dimension isn't it.  Clever, clever guy.  So glad to have had the opportunity to see them.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Just been looking at the website of the competition winner, Audun Rikardsen. All I can say is WOW - amazing photos!!

Website here: www.audunrikardsen.com/

Wow, fantastic photos 👍 As a coincidence, we have been looking at going to Norway, the Loften Isles, as we know a few people who have been. Might have to look a bit harder now 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soulandy said:

Wow, fantastic photos 👍 As a coincidence, we have been looking at going to Norway, the Loften Isles, as we know a few people who have been. Might have to look a bit harder now 👍

My brother went to the Lofoten islands some years back and loved the scenery and mountain climbing there. I’m sure you’d really enjoy it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Brilliant picture Russell.  Love the framing of the building with the rainbow 

Steve 

It's great isn't it!  A bit jaw dropping. 😲

Social source share

31 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Brilliant picture Russell.  Love the framing of the building with the rainbow 

Steve 

Thanks. It only needed me to shuffle about a little bit - a couple of metres to the left - to get it how you see it. Otherwise it was almost perfectly framed as soon as I saw it. 

The only challenge was in balancing an open brolly between my left arm and shoulder while trying to get the pic with my trusty iPhone 5! 🤣

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Dashed out in the rain to the local supermarket 20 minutes ago and was rewarded with this lovely sight on the way back.

888461393_20190813AalsmeerRainbow-web.thumb.jpg.9dab8573a1b4f201ac718575c14a6a73.jpg

You've beaten my lemons! 😲😉

Social source share

This little guy fell out of his nest about six weeks ago into the car park of my friend's offices.  The parents are around all the time and have attacked anyone who gets too close, quite aggressively.  They are putting food out and water as you can see and the little feathered fluffter is thriving and growing all the time.  I know a few on here seem to be knowledgeable about birds and I'm wondering if the outlook for this gull is looking positive?  Will he just fly away? When he's ready?   I always thought that birds fledge from the nest and the descent to the ground is what kicks the flying instinct in.  Can't help worrying about him but he's doing okay and is in a secure gated yard at the back of a number of very tall buildings.  I'm worried that his environment might be a bit enclosed for "lift off". I know that gulls will avoid confined spaces because of their wing span.  Any comments would be welcome. 

IMG-20190824-WA0001.jpg

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Flamingemeralds said:

This little guy fell out of his nest about six weeks ago into the car park of my friend's offices.  The parents are around all the time and have attacked anyone who gets too close, quite aggressively.  They are putting food out and water as you can see and the little feathered fluffter is thriving and growing all the time.  I know a few on here seem to be knowledgeable about birds and I'm wondering if the outlook for this gull is looking positive?  Will he just fly away? When he's ready?   I always thought that birds fledge from the nest and the descent to the ground is what kicks the flying instinct in.  Can't help worrying about him but he's doing okay and is in a secure gated yard at the back of a number of very tall buildings.  I'm worried that his environment might be a bit enclosed for "lift off". I know that gulls will avoid confined spaces because of their wing span.  Any comments would be welcome. 

IMG-20190824-WA0001.jpg

He will  I imagine be fine. They start wing flapping and eventually they start rising off the ground strengthening the wing muscles and before you know it they will be flying.  

Steve 

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

He will  I imagine be fine. They start wing flapping and eventually they start rising off the ground strengthening the wing muscles and before you know it they will be flying.  

Steve 

Must be a soulgull then 😂.  I do hope you're right.  Apparently he's dead noisy.  Cheeping all the time. Bless.  Fingers crossed he'll make it to adulthood. Thanks for the reassurance Steve!

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

Would love to clime Snowdon, is it easy?

Mal

Yes. Mal. Just take your time and enjoy the views,  or get the train to the summit and walk down or vice versa if you can get a seat. 

My son and 3 of his mates actually run from Llanberris to the summit and back to the car in under 5 hours and that's doing the crib coch route,  which isn't for the faint hearted by the way. 

Steve 

Social source share