80s All-nighter footage

Chalky

Not sure how it works, and I may be talking out of my backside, but a few years back I was sent a link to a private video on YT. Can't recall now, but maybe you needed a password, which I'd been given. It was a video of a Soul venue and I was on this film, dancing, and I was told I couldnt pass the video info on to anyone. Maybe it was a one time password or something, or not (my memory is getting worse)

The point I'm trying to make is, can you use this system (if it still exists)  to get around all the nonsense these record companies are using to stop us enjoying these old films and tunes?
If you make the setting private and dont invite anyone outside of our scene then maybe that might help solve the problem? I wonder if putting up a video of a kids 21st party featuring todays music attracts the same level of scrutiny ?
Lastly would I be correct in thinking that these claims are being generated by some computer algorithm identifying music whose rights are now owned by somebody who never had any involvement in creating the music in the first place, rather than some person sitting there watching endless videos?

Edited by purist
Social source share

4 minutes ago, purist said:

Not sure how it works, and I may be talking out of my backside, but a few years back I was sent a link to a private video on YT. Can't recall now, but maybe you needed a password, which I'd been given. It was a video of a Soul venue and I was on this film, dancing, and I was told I couldnt pass the video info on to anyone. Maybe it was a one time password or something, or not (my memory is getting worse)

The point I'm trying to make is, can you use this system (if it still exists)  to get around all the nonsense these record companies are using to stop us enjoying these old films and tunes?
If you make the setting private and dont invite anyone outside of our scene then maybe that might help solve the problem? I wonder if putting up a video of a kids 21st party featuring todays music attracts the same level of scrutiny ?
Lastly would I be correct in thinking that these claims are being generated by some computer algorithm identifying music whose rights are now owned by somebody who never had any involvement in creating the music in the first place, rather than some person sitting there watching endless videos?

I think it is all computer generated.  I hope they see sense when they review my challlenge.  All the tracks are on youtube straight from the record. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

I think it is all computer generated.  All the tracks are on youtube straight from the record. 

I have this harmless fun on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbHurxZCNoI but when I attempted to upload the follow up to it, it was rejected because I had used approximately 45 seconds of a track by Lime "Extra Sensory Perception," rather ironic given the title. There were short segments of several other tracks on that same video but that was the only one that flagged up. This would suggest their system is capable of detecting even quite small sections of a track.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

4 hours ago, purist said:

I think it may have been me that sent you the link - it was footage of The Old Vic in Wolverhampton. It wasn’t publicly visible and I asked for the link not to be passed on because Pep had recently lost his wife and I didn’t want to cause any more distress to him by uploading a video in which she featured.

I spoke to Pep about it in 2017 and he said that he is OK with the video being out there now.

To be honest, It’s very grainy and largely unwatchable until you get about 26 minutes in.

Edited by Soul16
Removed 2nd video
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 03/01/2019 at 12:06, chalky said:

Some of you may find this interesting to watch, some footage from allnighters in the late 80s early 90s? 100 Club, Shotts, Yarmouth, Bradford. Had to delete some of it as the vhs video is about buggered. 

Not sure how long it’ll be up, three or four copyright claims from the record compainies already  

where are all the skull heads with their Spencers, crossovers, beer towels and tats?

Social source share

On 03/01/2019 at 12:06, chalky said:

Some of you may find this interesting to watch, some footage from allnighters in the late 80s early 90s? 100 Club, Shotts, Yarmouth, Bradford. Had to delete some of it as the vhs video is about buggered. 

Not sure how long it’ll be up, three or four copyright claims from the record compainies already  

Oh my goodness, I never wanted that footage to end Chalky!

So many people I recognise on the 100 Club, Bradford & Yarmouth clips. The Bradford clip was taken above where I used to hang out with the lovely Geordies, most of them were dancing.  I kind of wanted to see myself on the footage, but knowing me & how shy I was back then I would have hidden at the sign of someone videoing. I know I was there that night as I have photos of my mates in the same clothes.  Same with the Yarmouth clip (Sheila & Geoff on a photo in the same clothes)

Awww, what a lovely trip down memory lane & I would go back there in a shot!!!! 

Thanks for posting Chalky 

Ali x

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I know of a few who packed in the scene after WC closed, a few have read this thread and told me 'Oh if I'd have known...'

The 80s scene and beyond was a brilliant time for NS and for me, between this and doing the Polys circuit with bands like Sisters of Mercy, The Cult and New Model Army among others they were the days of my life.

The allniters were cracking, often finished a gig then raced over to the nearest niter, fast cars, gear, women, way better than the gigs in fact!

Now who would've thought that? :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 03/01/2019 at 04:06, chalky said:

Can someone tell me the song playing at 18:00? (real belting female vocal)

Thx!

Social source share

2 hours ago, headsy said:

Any links to lifeline weekender videos Chalky?

Hope all is well with you

Hi mate

good here, likewise I hope?

I haven’t I’m afraid, not even sure if they are up there tbh? I do have them but I wouldn't wish to tread on Andy’s toes, the guy who shot them. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

16 hours ago, chalky said:

Hi mate

good here, likewise I hope?

I haven’t I’m afraid, not even sure if they are up there tbh? I do have them but I wouldn't wish to tread on Andy’s toes, the guy who shot them. 

I have a dvd of lifeline the second one at sheridens brill was done by Andy holroyd from Notts he's on Facebook I'm sure he still does them

Steve

Social source share

With the excellent threads we have that are vids-heavy we are trying to bring in a new policy regarding multiple entries and re-posting the same vid multiple times with the quoting. It helps with page loading issues, keeping the number of embedded vids to a workable level and avoiding repetition in the threads, would ask that members take a look at this thread, it has instructions in it, it isn't that much of a faff to do after a couple of times doing it.

Many thanks, threads such as this one are a very welcome resource. We can make them even better by reducing the page loading times and repetition! :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

With the excellent threads we have that are vids-heavy we are trying to bring in a new policy regarding multiple entries and re-posting the same vid multiple times with the quoting. It helps with page loading issues, keeping the number of embedded vids to a workable level and avoiding repetition in the threads, would ask that members take a look at this thread, it has instructions in it, it isn't that much of a faff to do after a couple of times doing it.

Many thanks, threads such as this one are a very welcome resource. We can make them even better by reducing the page loading times and repetition! :hatsoff2:

Thanks Simon a bit of a bugbear of mine so much so that I avoid a lot of threads with multiple repeated vids.

It is easy to  quote without the vids even I can do it !

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 6 months later...
On 03/01/2019 at 19:04, Soul16 said:

This one is better for people spotting 

That’s me in the foreground, blue shirt dude is my mate Baz... and Paddy dancing in his pilot jacket... I loved the Old Vic...

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!