Test Pressing

I've just recently bought a Sandra Philip's World without sunshine test pressing and I've been told that there's another one with different writing on the label.  Does anyone know how many test pressings they actually make ? 

Thanks in advance 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

It’s up to the person/company ordering the test pressings, usuallly it’s a small amount before the promo run is ordered to make sure the pressings ok, but you can order as many or as little as you want, so there is no real answer to the question on a release unless you find out from the company or pressings plant,

cheers Sutty

Social source share

Just now, Sutty said:

It’s up to the person/company ordering the test pressings, usuallly it’s a small amount before the promo run is ordered to make sure the pressings ok, but you can order as many or as little as you want, so there is no real answer to the question on a release unless you find out from the company or pressings plant,

cheers Sutty

Thanks Sutty

Social source share

Steve

When I was working at Global / Cream records in 1972 to 1976 the pressing company (Lintone or Orlake I think) would always send three test pressings for each release. I don't think we had a choice as to the quantity. In those days no one did special white labels /promo or such like marketing tricks. I've still got one of each but don't know where the rest went.

I'm not sure about US labels but probably similar. It's quite likely that bigger labels would get quite a few extra done so they could play the record to the salesmen and favoured radio DJs. I've seen an Atlantic/Stax test pressing for Wendy Rene Bar B Q that had a note from Jerry Wexler with it.

The writing on your Sandra Philips doesn't look like 1960s US handwriting and there is no pressing plant name on it, but that may not be significant.

Rick 

Edited by Rick Cooper
Social source share

Generally they are written with pen and not marker pen too.  Most test presses if written on at the plant would often be by the same person. 

Motown used to have up to 6, as in the case of Frank Wilson.  2 for Motown, 2 for Jobete and 2 for the plant for file.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

41 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Bound to be others with different 'handwriting' as yours has pretty obviously been 'embellished' by a previous owner rather than a company hand .

Run out details identical to the issue as the vendor stated therefore 100% kosher ... :thumbsup:

Cheers mate.  I bought it from someone I trust 100% . Chris does it for a living with a reputation second to none and he said as such regarding the writing on the label 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

I know Steve , yesterday's 'search' took me to Chris's site ... didn't mention it in case someone commented about the price etc , etc ... :thumbsup:

Thought it was cheap anyway but got 20% off so bargain.  One of my favourite records used to have both her northern records on the gold issues which are very collectable items these days

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

44 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thought it was cheap anyway but got 20% off so bargain.  One of my favourite records used to have both her northern records on the gold issues which are very collectable items these days

Steve 

The Okeh release is also a good track.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!