Kathryn Magson

Talc - yes or no?

Posted (edited)

How does everyone feel about the talc issue? Up until a couple of years ago, I'd not been too bothered by it - could take it or leave it - then it started to make me cough if I was in a roomful of it & but I'd be ok once I'd left the venue. Now it's got so bad that I struggle to breathe after being in a club where there's even a bit of talc down. It's got to the point where I'm going to have to limit myself to no-talc venues only - means I will have to stop going to some of my favourite soul nights. 

😭  😭

Edited by Kathryn Magson

17 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I think it's a pathetic thing. Who needs talc to dance ? I've known and know some of the best dancers this scene has ever had. Not one of them uses or used talc. Only wannabe dancers use it. Why i dont know . Bet you don't get any talc user's replying or if you do they're wearing tin hats

Steve

The best dancers that I know don't use it either -it's only about half a dozen in the clubs I go to that use it, but the rest of us have to put up with the stuff

2 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Talc shouldn’t be necessary on a well conditioned wooden dancefloor but some are poorly maintained and not polished resulting in the need for talcum powder.

Much depends on footwear and style of dancing but there is a case for talc at some venues where the floor is old and sticky. If the venue has carpets to help keep leather brogues dry, there’s a lesser need for talc, but when it’s pouring down outside, the toilets are flooded and the dancefloor has beer spilled on it, talc becomes useful.

The 100 Club once had a hand-written notice stuck on the pillar stating ‘No Talk On The Dancefloor’...made me smile.

Talc is useful STOPS NAPPY RASH , wants banning from niters 

All these opinions make for interesting reading - find myself agreeing with all of them! If the talc could be kept to one area of the room it wouldn't be so bad, but it gets everywhere - no place to escape from it. 

Personally, I still dance like I run, and by that I mean I try to keep minimal foot to floor contact. The relevance is if you do that then the use of talc is pretty much irrelevant as there isn't a lot of friction affecting the movement..Note, the right footwear is just as important. I do though understand why some people who,let's be kind, are less agile will benefit in terms of movement from the use of talc which reduces the friction between foot and floor. I now go back into my corner with the funny shaped hat ready to go.

1 minute ago, hullsoulie said:

Like you, I too see validity in EVERYONE'S opinion Kathryn, my only fear nowadays is the internet provides a 'soapbox/high horse' for folk to vent their spleen, and the mildest topic can become a cause celebre and have the soul police reaching for their burning torches and pitchforks - I always try and head such things off at the pass as I would hate to think of anyone who enjoys soul being put off attending evenings/niters/weekenders as they think they are an outlier with the masses against them - I love the fact that the scene is a broad church with room for us all - cheers

Some of us have got broader as the years have passed. I'm now in 34" or 36 " waist trousers.  As opposed to 28" waist when I first started out on this journey. 

Steve 

Posted (edited)

'kin hell Steve, I think I was last in 34-36'' waist in late 80s and now nearer 38-40'' - what was useful in a decade working the doors or prancing around on the terraces has now become a hindrance as I age - still manage to do a few 10k runs a year and a half marathon in 2017 mind - don't think I was in 28'' waist since I reached teens, which made the high waistband trews of the mid 70s a no-no for me, my belly would push the waistband down and they'd turn theirselves inside out during the course of a school disco!

Edited by hullsoulie

1 minute ago, Stevie said:

Many years ago I attended a niter in Blackburn/Wigan in what I remember to be a building in the middle of a housing estate, possibly the Cricketers??

There must have been a no talc rule and the guy behind the bar made sure he enforced it - straight onto the floor with mop and bucket, dancers flying everywhere, he mopped every bit of it up each and every time it went down. It was like a scene from a POW war film in the end where the prisoners are spreading tunneled soil on the ground from bags hidden in their trousers legs, except this was little groups of dancers trying to spread talc whilst friends gathered around to try and block his view.  Can't remember who was victorious in the end but highly amusing at the time.

Don't have strong views on talc myself but do have lots of photos where it looks like it's snowing!

Made me laugh out loud Stevie

I don't have a major issue with the use of talc if it's sensible - one of the issues not discussed is the people you rent the hall from - the fleet management does not allow talc so we have a no talc policy- we have signs on the door and on the flyers to remind people no talc heads.

The hall is used for various events from giving blood to weddings and everything inbeteeen. 

Rare picture St Ives with talc on floor around 77

image1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, ZoomSoulBlue said:

image1.jpeg

Nothing new under the sun eh ... ?  That could have been taken at a hundred venues last weekend , a few folk dancing talc-free ....  and 'alf a pound of talc in one pile , with three blokes just standing in it , hand in pocket ....  just substitute the fag for a phone and it's the 21st century  ... :rolleyes:

57 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Many years ago I attended a niter in Blackburn/Wigan in what I remember to be a building in the middle of a housing estate, possibly the Cricketers??

There must have been a no talc rule and the guy behind the bar made sure he enforced it - straight onto the floor with mop and bucket, dancers flying everywhere, he mopped every bit of it up each and every time it went down. It was like a scene from a POW war film in the end where the prisoners are spreading tunneled soil on the ground from bags hidden in their trousers legs, except this was little groups of dancers trying to spread talc whilst friends gathered around to try and block his view.  Can't remember who was victorious in the end but highly amusing at the time.

Don't have strong views on talc myself but do have lots of photos where it looks like it's snowing!

Probably the Cricketers, don't remember any Blackburn nighters in the middle of housing estates. Mick Lyons will know it was his club . 

Steve 

7 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Probably the Cricketers, don't remember any Blackburn nighters in the middle of housing estates. Mick Lyons will know it was his club . 

Steve 

Think you're probably right Steve. Different times then - enjoyed many a good night without really knowing where the hell I was..

20 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Was there not a news item a few weeks ago about asbestos in talc ? IIRC .

All traces of asbestos were meant to have been removed from talc back in the 1970s.

Earlier this year Johnson &Johnson were fined a massive amount of money in the U.S. courts who awarded damages to several women who claimed that the product had given them ovarian cancer. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/13/johnson-johnson-ordered-pay-47bn-22-women-talc-products-linked/

Well it has made interesting reading - it seems that I am firmly in the minority and would be subject to the opprobrium of many of my fellow soul aficionados - perhaps just as well I don't attend half the amount of events I used to - wannabe, pathetic, selfish & dangerous - jeez walking to the bar could be as fraught with danger for me as Caesar crossing a different type of forum during the Ides of March - continued good health & happiness to the members of Soul Source - I hope the widespread tolerance of our scene continues apace

Clogs up the punch holes more like on my brogues & with my tin hat & speckled trousers I feel like Fred the homepride man sand dancing 

It all depends on two things 1. your dance style - people who dance in trainers don't tend to slide, they jump so it wouldn't make much difference, I definitely slide and twist my feet 2. The floor - some floors are STICKY, so if you dance like me it's an impossibility, concrete sub-base floors are also harder to slip on as are small format parquet floors (also with a concrete sub base) whereas sprung wood are much easier. I wear leather soled brogues and keep the soles clean so on a decent, clean sprung fine woodstrip floor there's no need at all for it but on, say a laminate floor with a concrete sub base I can't dance. 

As an example over Christmas I went to the Green Rooms in Hinckley - Excellent DJ's, good atmosphere but the floor was horrible. Concrete sub base, real wood strip but I have no idea what they put on it, I couldn't move my feet and my ankles were killing me. After half an hour I went outside and literally scraped 1mm of thick black gunk off the soles - they were clean when I went in, after an hour they were the same again. Thankfully someone had some talc and it made it bearable, I raised it with the promoter and he said the venue don't look after the floor so talc was OK. Even with the talc though after about 20 minutes the floor was sticky as anything again. 

I could list the 5 venues this year that were impossible to dance in without talc but won't. One of them sorted it out the second time I went there so perhaps it was whatever they were polishing the floor with? or dried beer residue? or something even more horrible?

Posted (edited)

I will list the 10 venues which don't need it at all - Stables Wolverhampton (sprung woodstrip and talc banned), Darlaston Town Hall (sprung woodstrip and talc banned), Birmingham Town Hall (sprung woodstrip), Mojo Soul Club, Darlaston (sprung woodstrip and talc banned), Gornal Soul Club (woodstrip on concrete sub base), Steppin Up Selly Oak, Birmingham (sprung woodstrip), Old Brogues, Old Oscott, Birmingham (woodstrip on concrete sub base), Soultime Pelsall (sprung woodstrip), Kings Hall Stoke (sprung woodstrip) and the 100 Club (Solid concrete and talc banned). I admit I am a floor nerd.

Edited by Timillustrator

5 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

I think it's a pathetic thing. Who needs talc to dance ? I've known and know some of the best dancers this scene has ever had. Not one of them uses or used talc. Only wannabe dancers use it. Why i dont know . Bet you don't get any talc user's replying or if you do they're wearing tin hats

Steve

That's a big statement!

It's been used as long as I can remember 75 onwards...

100 club? After midnight and the beer has impregnated the floor, you'd need an oil slick to be able to move freely!

Everybody to their own!

Ed

In the early 80's one manufacturer tried to bring a new audience to the pastime of talc spreading by claiming in it's advertising it's Never Too Late: 

Imperial Luther

🤣

I've posted this before.....

As you can read on this flyer I gave out at the event, it was a hazard in this instance.

But I have to admit, I have used it in the past due to wearing shoes with rubber souls - I was at The Wilton, and my feet actually squeaked - In my head above the music that was playing!  I clocked someone who had some talc, so asked for a sprinkle which worked a treat.

I then went on to win the dance competition (yet again) :)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

2147375125_NoTalc!.thumb.JPG.2731258ea59ba8850d5763695165081f.JPG

6 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

100 club? After midnight and the beer has impregnated the floor, you'd need an oil slick to be able to move freely!

Hehe.

I haven't attended a night at the 100 Club for many years now, but it's good to hear that some things never change!

True, some people just put it down anywhere and everywhere - it's like putting salt on your food before you've tasted it; See what it's like first! I do get annoyed by the "div dust" comments from some people though, it all depends on the floor. There's a few venues I went to recently that if there was no talc allowed I would have either asked for my money back due to the undanceable floor or just gone home in disgust. Of course some promoters don't dance so they probably wouldn't know.

18 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

I went to the 100 club in June, they did a bag search and the bloke in front of me had his talc confiscated by the bouncer!

He was obviously not a regular then , the lads on the door have been collecting talc and booze on the door for years now ... :shades:

4 hours ago, ZoomSoulBlue said:

I don't have a major issue with the use of talc if it's sensible - one of the issues not discussed is the people you rent the hall from - the fleet management does not allow talc so we have a no talc policy- we have signs on the door and on the flyers to remind people no talc heads.

The hall is used for various events from giving blood to weddings and everything inbeteeen. 

image1.jpeg

Far too much...this bloke’s slipped over...

Posted (edited)

There's quite a few references to drink spillages on the dance floor on this thread.

Are people still being allowed to irresponsibly take drinks on to the dance floor at events you attend?

Ever since 2002, at any event I'm working at or promoting myself, I have made polite announcements stating that no drinks are allowed on the dance floor. Only a few times have there been repeat offenders but this has easily been dealt with by a follow up request from security, or by turning the music off for a moment with a more detailed request at any event without security, until that person has done what I/we have requested.

Edited by Martin S

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ZoomSoulBlue said:

image1.jpeg

55 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Far too much...this bloke’s slipped over...

Hehehe..meanwhile,the one on the far right of the photo was injured so badly in the mishap that he lost over a third of his body but somehow miraculously managed to carry on dancing while defiantly displaying the Northern Soul Keep The Faith fist!

Edited by Soulsides

10 minutes ago, Martin S said:

There's quite a few references to drink spillages on the dance floor on this thread.

Are people still being allowed to irresponsibly take drinks on to the dance floor at events you attend?

Ever since 2002, at any event I'm working at or promoting myself, I have made polite announcements stating that no drinks are allowed on the dance floor. Only a few times have there been repeat offenders but this has easily been dealt with by a follow up request from security, or by turning the music off for a moment with a more detailed request at any event without security, until that person has done what I/we have requested.

Spoil sport - I positively encourage the practice when I DJ (The youngun's love it!) :D

Len :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, Martin S said:

Have you been to a ' full' 100 club nighter?

Unless they banned drink...its inevitable the floor suffers as there is nowhere near enough room to keep it away from the dance floor and still be in your control!

Great atmosphere though!

Ed

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.