Kathryn Magson

Talc - yes or no?

Posted (edited)
On 03/01/2019 at 23:00, Martin S said:

There's quite a few references to drink spillages on the dance floor on this thread.

Are people still being allowed to irresponsibly take drinks on to the dance floor at events you attend?

Ever since 2002, at any event I'm working at or promoting myself, I have made polite announcements stating that no drinks are allowed on the dance floor. Only a few times have there been repeat offenders but this has easily been dealt with by a follow up request from security, or by turning the music off for a moment with a more detailed request at any event without security, until that person has done what I/we have requested.

This is an absolute no-no for us at WWSC also, you can tell the soulies as they'll go round the outside of the floor with drinks whereas the divs will cross the floor! However we'll warn once and once only for 'dancing avec pint' as it's unforgivable in my view.

Katie took a divvy off by his ear who had to beg to be allowed back in last event!

On the subject of talc I just think it's a shame that some don't even bother trying out the floor before chucking the stuff around, if they did -they might be pleasantly surprised they just don't need it.

Edited by timbo58

Hi Kathryn, I have read quite a few of the responses & what I will refer to is the Health related issues.  It is used in some of the Venues I go to, but I would use a bit of magic dust, rather than talc tbh.  I don't understand if people are serious about dancing why they don"t wear good dancing shoes? A leather / suede sole or smooth bottom (careful..🙄), usually does the trick 😁

I used to think the same as you Simsy - bit of talc within reason is ok, but worsening breathing probs are forcing me to look at things differently now. Bit of talc on the floor & I'm gasping for breath! Never used to be that way. 😩

As a promoter who hires a room for our monthly event, I am told by the club that talc is not allowed for all the reasons already stated here. Bottom line (no pun intended) is that if we cannot control the use of talc, we risk being kicked out of the venue - bit of a no brainer for us. At our last event we did have a talc issue although our flyers and Facebook page indicate that we are a talc free zone. Might help if the guy we suspect - although we didn't see the talc go down, so no real proof - changed his trainers for more suitable shoes. When I spoke to him, all I got was ''not me guv''. At this months event we will ensure that everyone who comes through the door will be made well aware of our policy and then claimed ignorance cannot be an excuse. For us, the ironic thing about our situation is that we are blessed with a polished maple sprung dance floor, one of the best in our area, that absolutely does not require the white stuff!

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:29, algsoul said:

clogs up your sound system and the grooves in your records (nasty stuff)

Doesn't do much for your lungs either algsoul - I know quite a lot of people who have breathing probs that they say were caused by spending decades dancing around in clouds of the stuff! It certainly sets me off coughing & then I have probs for a few days after attending an event where talc is present. I'm told by the doc that I have now developed asthma & need to use an inhaler. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't need one at all if it hadn't been for talc in the air at soul nights. Never used talc myself - only been surrounded by the stuff when others have used it.

I have also heard stories of promoters being sued when people have slipped & injured themselves on pools of talc - one of whom I know personally - & it very nearly cost him his home - others I have only heard about.

Edited by Kathryn Magson

6 minutes ago, Kathryn Magson said:

Doesn't do much for your lungs either algsoul - I know quite a lot of people who have breathing probs that they say were caused by spending decades dancing around in clouds of the stuff! It certainly sets me off coughing & then I have probs for a few days after attending an event where talc is present. I'm told by the doc that I have now developed asthma & need to use an inhaler. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't need one at all if it hadn't been for talc in the air at soul nights. Never used talc myself - only been surrounded by the stuff when others have used it.

One of the major causes of asthma is exposure to 'irritants'. So, attending Northern Soul gigs is implicitly going to be a wall to wall problem and then of course you've got the side issue of talc in the air to contend with  :)

22 hours ago, hullsoulie said:

Simsy, thank you for your post - I had been becoming more and more disillusioned reading this topic over the last week and was on the point of saying 'ah f**k it...' and retiring from the scene for good - when did a load of footloose and fancy free young folk become so soured and sanctimonious over the course of life - YES, of course I 'get' differing opinions, but all the NO, NO AND THRICE NO! responses seemed to brook no opposing opinion, and I wondered if a modern day Torquemada/Joe McCarthy were trolling the board under soul sobriquets!
I have decided that I will keep attending, I will keep taking talc along with me -BUT, will always give the dancefloor an hour or so 'chance' to see if it cuts the mustard before reaching for a MINIMAL amount of talc and putting it in the smallest corner possible and staying in that area all night to dance, to do otherwise when it affects peoples health would not be very considerate - and against my approach for life - and if anyone approaches me with politeness to discuss/negotiate of course they will be met with courtesy and bonhomie, but any who approach me with a face on like they've just necked a pint of vinegar and the intent to 'chide' me will be met with a mirroring attitude - I hope for more tolerance from us all on the scene, very little in life is 'right' and 'wrong'

You keep taking it me old son and disperse when needed. Like the smell of Red Bull in the car, some scents (talc included) are just part of it - part of the night out.

In short, I love the smell of talcum in the morning, nothing else smells like that.

Edited by Simsy

6 minutes ago, Kathryn Magson said:

Sponge cake & whisky? Sounds interesting lol 

Went to my favourite (apart from the talc) venue last night - only a small amount of the stuff put down - looks promising! :thumbup:

That is encouraging.  Hopefully this thread has created more awareness of the problem.  Could be only temporary, like the abstention of alcohol during "dry" January, and many talcoholics are currently on the wagon.  Don't think BREXIT is a factor, as I haven't heard of stockpiling of baby powder.

I was at a venue a couple of weeks ago - one that has a strict no talc policy - & some dickhead decide to cover the floor with talc.

I'm glad to say he has now been barred from the premises. Tried to tell me talc has ALWAYS been allowed there...……..errrmmmmm…….NO!! lol

PS - could do with a button that says "laugh" on here Steve S 60 - sometimes "like" isn't quite what I want to say lol😂

Edited by Kathryn Magson

20 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

That is encouraging.  Hopefully this thread has created more awareness of the problem.  Could be only temporary, like the abstention of alcohol during "dry" January, and many talcoholics are currently on the wagon.  Don't think BREXIT is a factor, as I haven't heard of stockpiling of baby powder.

Talcoholics!!!! 🤣 Class.

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:04, Timillustrator said:

I will list the 10 venues which don't need it at all - Stables Wolverhampton (sprung woodstrip and talc banned), Darlaston Town Hall (sprung woodstrip and talc banned), Birmingham Town Hall (sprung woodstrip), Mojo Soul Club, Darlaston (sprung woodstrip and talc banned), Gornal Soul Club (woodstrip on concrete sub base), Steppin Up Selly Oak, Birmingham (sprung woodstrip), Old Brogues, Old Oscott, Birmingham (woodstrip on concrete sub base), Soultime Pelsall (sprung woodstrip), Kings Hall Stoke (sprung woodstrip) and the 100 Club (Solid concrete and talc banned). I admit I am a floor nerd.

Could add The Harold Soul Club to that list Timillustrator - quite a small venue, but it has a top-notch sprung maple dance floor & a strict no-talc policy. Shame it's a bit out of area for you - it's at Low Moor near Bradford. Venue 73 in Brighouse is bigger - fab dance floor & NO TALC - door staff search bags for it.

Edited by Kathryn Magson

Looking at the scale of the lawsuits in the USA we should only hope that we do not get a sudden influx of female American Northern Soulies ,because if they start in on the dancefloor we are apparently going to need mini snow clearers to dig our way out.

2 hours ago, Kathryn Magson said:

Could add The Harold Soul Club to that list Timillustrator - quite a small venue, but it has a top-notch sprung maple dance floor & a strict no-talc policy. Shame it's a bit out of area for you - it's at Low Moor near Bradford. Venue 73 in Brighouse is bigger - fab dance floor & NO TALC - door staff search bags for it.

Thanks Kathryn, I go to Bradford occasionally (was there almost exactly a year ago today) I'll definitely bear that in mind if I am up that way.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.