Help With Lost Record...

Len

Help With Lost Record...

I’m currently sorting a few records to sell to raise funds for a family holiday, and I thought to myself…..”Mmmmmm ‘Pat and the Blenders - Just Because’ goes for decent money, I’ll let that go I think”……

Can I find it? No! Honestly, I have spent the last few evenings racing through my shelves, and repeating in case I’ve gone past it, but it really seems to be ‘missing in action’.

Firstly - If anyone who knows me remembers me selling or trading it, please remind me to put me out of this misery. But I’m sure I’m not at the Alzheimer’s stage just yet - I would have remembered!

Of course the dark thoughts of someone I’ve trusted has ‘lifted’ it from me creep in, but I can’t go there. If that has happened, well - Sad b*stard is all I can say…..

Secondly - Has anyone else been through similar? As in, convinced you have lost a record, and it turns up somewhere you would never dream of - I know what after parties can be like records strewn everywhere!

I need to make light of this for my own sanity.

All the best,

Len ‘Just Because’ Dopson :thumbsup:

Social source share

Len

25 years ago I found a Mel Britt I thought had been lost or stolen stuck inside an LP cover alongside the LP itself.

For years I had dark thoughts and suspicions about its fate, but there it was in the LP cover. To this day I still do not know it got there, as I certainly would not have put it there, and finding it was pure chance as I was about to sell some albums.

You probably have it somewhere, but that pesky vinyl ghost has moved it 😨

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I lost Novus Nine Pain. Had a gig in the shopping arcade where I bought it in a charity shop 2 months earlier and thought good place to spin it.

Couldn't find it anywhere, was sure I played it last record  of last gig. searched box house all over me and my wife  remember playing it at home too.

Turned up at son in laws house where it had been from the day I bought it. I had added it to my discogs collection and played it a few times from there on the phone at home.

It will turn up in the least likely place...

Edited by Soul Spinner
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Know what you feel like Len. Restless nights until you find the record or come up with an explanation. Did you leave it on the decks when last DJing? Always best to list records sold in a little book - helps preserve sanity and keep an eye on the profits.🤑

Hope it turns up but you need to go through the whole collection a couple of times to be absolutely certain that it’s gone AWOL.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
typo
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, modernsoulsucks said:

No idea how you file your 45s but if say in cardboard sleeve have you checked you ain't put 2 45s in one sleeve ?

11 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Rod. Exactly what I was going to say 

Steve 

Hiya - They are all over the place I'm afraid :D

Except that the top shelf is the oldest of my buys, and it goes down from there - I know which shelf it lives on, so went through that one several times before hunting through the others a couple of times. 

On my search I have been playing tunes that haven't seen the light of day for years though, so that's been a positive I have to say.

Fingers crossed it turns up at some point, and noted ref looking to see if I have put two in the same cover - I often end up with spare covers after a session. Also, mates are sometimes pretty rubbish at putting back records in the same place. One even puts them back the wrong way round sometimes, which I find very hard to cope with :huh:

If it does decide to come home, I will let you know - Here's to a happy ending :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Know what you feel like Len. Restless nights until you find the record or come up with an explanation. Did you leave it on the decks when last DJing? Always best to list records sold in a little book - helps preserve sanity and keep an eye on the profits.🤑

Hope it turns up but you need to go through the whole collection a couple of times to be absolutely cetain that it’s gone AWOL.

It hasn't left the house since I got given the alternative version for my 40th Birthday over 8 years ago. But thanks for thoughts.

Yes, I'm keeping notes of what I have sold just last week - Defo good idea for future ref :wink:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Lost a record for a couple of years. Just couldn’t find it anywhere. Then out of the blue I had a thought. In a lock-up I had carrier bags full of old record mailers - packaging for the 45s I’d received through the post. 

Sure enough, after a good trawl through the mailers there it was. Clearly I’d put the 45 back in the mailer after it had arrived in the post, and then dumped that with all the other mailers.

Just as well I have a habit of keeping old record packaging and didn’t send it for recycling.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 06/01/2019 at 06:13, Amsterdam Russ said:

Lost a record for a couple of years. Just couldn’t find it anywhere. Then out of the blue I had a thought. In a lock-up I had carrier bags full of old record mailers - packaging for the 45s I’d received through the post. 

Sure enough, after a good trawl through the mailers there it was. Clearly I’d put the 45 back in the mailer after it had arrived in the post, and then dumped that with all the other mailers.

Just as well I have a habit of keeping old record packaging and didn’t send it for recycling.

Oh god - I chucked a load of old covers out whilst going through! :huh:

Maybe my record is now on a dump somewhere - Hey ho, they'll all be there in 20 years time, as even the second hand shops won't want them :D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Didn't notice anyone having mentioned this already, so are you sure it hasn't gone down the back of a piece of furniture? How are your decks set up because it would actually be possible for me to accidentally lose a 45 down the back of my system as there is a slight gap between the decks and the wall. Failing that, sorry about the pun but perhaps as the artists name suggests, there's a probability it's just "blended" in somewhere?

Social source share

21 minutes ago, John A said:

Ain't that the truth 😂

Not that I should be saying this having only just put a sales list up today. But I was talking with the Mrs (Nina) the other morning about it all, as selling any records is hard for me.

We were laughing about the fact records are now obsolete, but we all refuse to acknowledge it because we have invested so many years in to collecting the damn things (Myself also being 'guilty as charged')

Scenario......"Let me play you this top tune".......It's ok Len, I have it on my phone, I can play it through your speaker on Blue Tooth"......."No, no, I have it here somewhere"........"Hang on"........."Um"........"Len, just let me play it on my phone!"......"No! Just wait a minute"........"Jeeeze"......."Ah found it!"....."Hang on, I'll just get it out of the double cover"........

We had video tapes, then we had DVDs, we now have film down-loads - Has anyone still got their 'Original' Videos? 

'Tin Hat' time he he :D

All the best,

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Martin S said:

Didn't notice anyone having mentioned this already, so are you sure it hasn't gone down the back of a piece of furniture? How are your decks set up because it would actually be possible for me to accidentally lose a 45 down the back of my system as there is a slight gap between the decks and the wall. Failing that, sorry about the pun but perhaps as the artists name suggests, there's a probability it's just "blended" in somewhere?

All possible - I have kind of given up the search after looking again this weekend - It may even have fallen down between the floor boards before we got the carpet fitted :huh:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, LEN said:

Has anyone still got their 'Original' Videos

I've got quite a few still that I watch from time to time,some of them also have just audio recorded on them and no visual media whatsoever.

Slightly off topic but not sure how many people realise that a 4 head VHS Hi Fi video recorder can actually record and play back near CD quality audio. 

I even used a VHS hi-fi deck as my mixdown deck for my own music projects for a while with excellent results. 

Well over 90db dynamic range and a 20-20K frequency response. 

The audio head spins against the tape offering a comparable tape/head speed of 80 ips. Most two track mastering reel to reel decks were 15 or 30 ips.  

Pretty impressive all in all!

Sorry to hear about your lost record though Len,hope it turns up soon mate. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, LEN said:

Not that I should be saying this having only just put a sales list up today. But I was talking with the Mrs (Nina) the other morning about it all, as selling any records is hard for me.

We were laughing about the fact records are now obsolete, but we all refuse to acknowledge it because we have invested so many years in to collecting the damn things (Myself also being 'guilty as charged')

Scenario......"Let me play you this top tune".......It's ok Len, I have it on my phone, I can play it through your speaker on Blue Tooth"......."No, no, I have it here somewhere"........"Hang on"........."Um"........"Len, just let me play it on my phone!"......"No! Just wait a minute"........"Jeeeze"......."Ah found it!"....."Hang on, I'll just get it out of the double cover"........

We had video tapes, then we had DVDs, we now have film down-loads - Has anyone still got their 'Original' Videos? 

'Tin Hat' time he he :D

All the best,

I quite agree Len, sometimes I think I'll go and spin a few tunes then after about 5 or so I'm like. "Ok, I'm bored now" ..... 10 mins later back on the sofa,playing stuff on YouTube..often records I own.. 😮What's all that about 😂

• Up vote 2
Social source share

11 minutes ago, John A said:

I quite agree Len, sometimes I think I'll go and spin a few tunes then after about 5 or so I'm like. "Ok, I'm bored now" ..... 10 mins later back on the sofa,playing stuff on YouTube..often records I own.. 😮What's all that about 😂

Ha ha - I do the same! :facepalm:

:D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Do it all the time - misplace / leave in mailers for transfer to sleeving / don't make notes of sales / wrong cardboard outers (title /artist) / find stuff I forgot I had in obscure boxes / places.

Was asked whether I had a sales box with me as usual at a local gig - replied 'No - last time I was here  someone lifted a sound' - really what was that came the reply - told him - 'you sold it to me after the usual haggle' came the reply - It all came flooding back - apologies and a drink

Time to get back in the loft - found a Deletts and Triplettes last rummage through the glory hole

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!