The Fellows - George Cinton ? 1967

55 minutes ago, chalky said:

Yes

So do you think this is connected with the Group name issue and the court case (which the other group won I believe) and George just called this release The Fellows to save any problems occurring legally, or am I of the mark here (do any dates tally)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
More accurate
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

So do you think this is connected with the Group name issue and the court case (which the other group won I believe) and George just called this release The Fellows to save any problems occurring legally, or am I of the mark here (do any dates tally)

Which other group name?

Social source share

• 10 months later...
25 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

This might clear the Ruffin link to the Fellows up.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?18844-The-Fellows-60-s-Detroit-Group

yes it may well do.

But i do know David Ruffin's 'new group' were billed out for 2 shows at "The Soul Festival" at The Stanley Theatre as The Fellows.  Same show was Jerry Butler, Unifics,The Dells. 

Perhaps it's all in the 'spelling'.

Social source share

On 11/11/2019 at 12:16, Kenb said:

yes it may well do.

But i do know David Ruffin's 'new group' were billed out for 2 shows at "The Soul Festival" at The Stanley Theatre as The Fellows.  Same show was Jerry Butler, Unifics,The Dells. 

Perhaps it's all in the 'spelling'.

Found this article which thanks for your help may answer it......comments please

https://www.rebeatmag.com/the-fallen-temptation-the-tragedy-of-david-ruffin/

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Found this article which thanks for your help may answer it......comments please

https://www.rebeatmag.com/the-fallen-temptation-the-tragedy-of-david-ruffin/

Seems that Ruffin liked the name The Fellas as said in a post above he used it as a name for his backing group and according to the article above wanted to call the ex temps group the same.

No links though to the The Fellows though on Solid Hit.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Shinehead said:

Seems that Ruffin liked the name The Fellas as said in a post above he used it as a name for his backing group and according to the article above wanted to call the ex temps group the same.

No links though to the The Fellows though on Solid Hit.

And it appears that the Solid Hit was 1967 (which perhaps doesn't tie in)

Social source share

I remember a rumour in the 70s and 80s, that Sidney Barnes sang on The Fellows' record, and was George Clinton's assistant producer in the recording session.  If that's really true, maybe that's why the group listed on the record couldn't be "The Parliaments".  Maybe it was some or all of The Parliaments, plus Sidney?  But, I think we had someone already ask Sidney that question some years ago.

Social source share

George and David were 'pretty tight' during 1967. The Parliaments did play with David, and Martha and the..., -AND it's well documented in George's biography about him & David (Sly Stone too) smoking crack. Of course, non of which means DR was in / or sang with The Fellows, and i don't think we'll ever know who lined-up on The Fellows 'Lets Make It Last'.

although i accept it's probably a typo/mis-heard/error: still interesting...see ad David Ruffin new band The Fellows.

soul David ruffin The Fellows 2 Pittsburgh Post Gazette   Nov 4, 1968

Edited by Kenb
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!