Miracles - If your mother....Label variant ?

Put this in the wrong thread....

Thread in 2014 in Wants about the variants for this 45

Ok so I know this thread goes back some time but looking through the boxes I got a little curious about this. I've looked at Popsike and Google in general and I don't seem to see this label variant (see scan).

It has 2 stamps in the run out groove - one is "Nashville Matrix" and the other I cant make out as its smaller (you might be able to make this out if you can enlarge - bottom left to the left of the Nashville matrix). The DM025209 is scratched in the run out also with a small "10" about 1 cm to the right.

Way over there is the flip BTW.

If any of you Motown aficionados can provide some info, that would be great.

Cheers

Andy

miracles.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Put this in the wrong thread....

Thread in 2014 in Wants about the variants for this 45

Ok so I know this thread goes back some time but looking through the boxes I got a little curious about this. I've looked at Popsike and Google in general and I don't seem to see this label variant (see scan).

It has 2 stamps in the run out groove - one is "Nashville Matrix" and the other I cant make out as its smaller (you might be able to make this out if you can enlarge - bottom left to the left of the Nashville matrix). The DM025209 is scratched in the run out also with a small "10" about 1 cm to the right.

Way over there is the flip BTW.

If any of you Motown aficionados can provide some info, that would be great.

Cheers

Andy

miracles.jpg

The other stamp, not ARP is it?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

8 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Pretty sure it is Karl , not a clean stamp though looks like it 'bounced' on impact and made two or three indistint overlapping impressions.

Tried enhancing it but the image quality doesn't stand up to much enlargement.

The A certainly looks like the A of ARP but on the ipad it looks like a B that follows. 

Social source share

41 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Pretty sure it is Karl , not a clean stamp though looks like it 'bounced' on impact and made two or three indistint overlapping impressions.

Tried enhancing it but the image quality doesn't stand up to much enlargement.

32 minutes ago, chalky said:

The A certainly looks like the A of ARP but on the ipad it looks like a B that follows. 

Yes looks like ARP but a bit mashed.

Can we confirm repress ? If so why would Motown repress ?

Social source share

11 hours ago, the yank said:

It probably was repressed for "Way Over There" which wasn't one of the Miracles biggest hits but did make it to #94 on the Billboard 

Pop charts. I've read it was a big hit in many regional markets but never really took off nationally. 

A bit of research last night and it seems that the Miracles third LP was released in 1962 but most of the songs had been used already on 45's. Motown weren't keen on 'Mother' as a 45 and felt the new tracks didn't sound like the Miracles. So the solution was to go back to 'Way over there' which flopped on its 1960 release and back it with 'Mother'. However as you say #94 was its best place in the chart.

The initial mix of 'mother' wasn't great and Motown decided to pull the 45 and remix and reissue, hence the 06 and 09 records.

Another source suggests that as Motown grew worldwide and Smokey Robinson's individual popularity had increased towards the later 60's Motown tried to capitalise again by reissuing some of the earlier 45's. No firm evidence on that just speculation.

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!