Billy Jo Jim Bob's profile photo

Great Book Recommendation

Freebasing Billy Jo Jim Bob

Posted

Hi all

I've followed the work of Hans Rosling for many years and got his new book for crimbo ' FACTFULNESS - Ten reasons we're wrong about the world- and why things are better than you think'.

Rosling is a medical doctor by profession working in the poorest parts of the world. He's worked for the W.H.O, UNICEF and was a founder of Medicines sans Frontiers. He is also a professor of international health and worked for the Swedish government in research.

As he was diagnosed with terminal cancer he decided to research and write a book challenging the perceptions - predominantly of the west - around the state of the world. Using his knowledge via years of international, governmental and NGO experience and current statistical information he put together a fact bases analysis of the current position.

The western perception of other parts of the world is driven by politicians and the media who use out of date information and extrapolate single events into some doom laden scenario. He tackles a number of perceptions including health, education, poverty etc., and his conclusions are that the world is actually in a much better state than we think and what we are fed by the media and politicians is wrong.

Its an easy and entertaining read and not "heavy" at all.

If you don't fancy this then I think there is stuff on Youtube and TED talks.

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Pete bought me it to cheer me up but I've been too depressed to read it - seriously : )

soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

Pete bought me it to cheer me up but I've been too depressed to read it - seriously : )

I'd recommend having a delve into it. I came out the other side far more positive than I thought I would !

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.